How fast is fast enough?

I completely understand and respect that.

For me it’s different. I dont intentionally train in a manner inconsistent with real life self-defense. Soooooo, thing is, if I’m in public and have made the decision to draw, I’ve made the decision I need to fire. To do otherwise invites charges of “brandishing” and all sorts of other accusations.

Does this mean that in the time between clearing my holster and squeezing the shot that I’m incapable of holding fire? NO!! It’s simply that I won’t draw in public without the legal justification for firing being present, so I dont draw elsewhere then hold fire…

Am I making ANY sense at all here?

3 Likes

True. But if you fire every time you draw your gun in practice, you might fire 'automatically" and the situation might change from when you started to draw… I don’t plan on drawing either unless sure, but want to make the decision to shoot after I draw, or during the draw.

Kinda splitting hairs…

2 Likes

You’re right, and I reckon I was splitting hairs. Sorry, I didnt mean anything rude if that’s how it came off.

I think we both simply stayed what works for us, as individuals. Theres truly no right or wrong on this one I dont think. A decision to not fire may indeed be made during the draw. I agree 100%.

1 Like

No offense at all taken! I enjoy reading how other people do things as well. And my gun things have changed over the years… I was a mod weaver stance rack the slide guy all the way until a few years ago…

1 Like

Ah yes, the FIBSA moment! Per Active Self Protection, John Correia. (“Fudge, I’m being shot at!”

1 Like

Completely agree that speed of draw is meaningless. Shots on target under is what we should go for. Getting the gun out of the holster safely is the first priority. After that, it is a matter of disabling the threat.

1 Like

The odds of needing to reload in a gun fight at 7 - 10 yards are remote. We cannot train for every possible situation, but we can train for the most likely situations. Slow and smooth and on target.

2 Likes

The odds of using a gun is remote… Semi autos often fail due to magazine issues. I have had a type one malfunction a couple of times when at the range…

Of course the chance for a mag change is remote, I do carry a spare mag, and train with it. Some folks don’t carry a spare mag. To each their own, having a gun and being able to use it is the main thing. Part of the point of the drill is to try (with the timer, mag change, and competition) to induce a little bit of stress in your training vs static type shooting.

By learning the speed vs accuracy balance, you can work on improving the one or both that needs work more. I have found anytime I have to ‘think’ more when training it is harder. Whether it is a random reload, multiple targets, multiple targets with different amounts of hits per target, make for good training.

People love to shoot fast. When you can shoot fast AND hit the target, maybe with a reload, it is a good time at the range. :grinning:

2 Likes

Agree. Reasonable speed, to me, means I can draw without getting my firearm hung up on clothing, etc, bring it to point-of-aim and control the shot. It also means I don’t shoot someone else, so the slight delay in drawing allows me to survey the field of fire to see where the shot will go if I miss (who is behind the bad guy!).

3 Likes

Absolutely! That is the point of this drill. Sometimes we do some body and headshots on steel that is smaller than a standard IDPA target. That brief pause to get the headshot is very helpful.

1 Like

SMOOTH IS FAST. PRACTICE WITH SNAP CAPS. GET OFF THE X AND MOVE. DONT REMAIN A STATIONARY TARGET. SPEED IS NOT AS CRUCIAL AS GETTING A SHOT OFF THE HITS THE TARGET. THANK YOU

3 Likes

The post title, “How Fast is Fast Enough?” is kind if, IMO like the question “How many guns are enough?” Tge answer to which is 1 more than I already have.

In a gunfight theres way too many potential variables to say that speed will win it. Accurate hits to vital organs will, usually. Sometimes even a head shot, or 3, is needed.

In the world of firearms and self-defense, “enough” anything just doesnt exist.
Just dont train until u get it right, but until you cant get it wrong I read once…

1 Like

About 1,300 FPS.

2 Likes

I agree that speed matters. I just don’t think it’s the only thing that matters, and unfortunately there are a lot of coaches out there who emphasize a fast draw over all else.

We also need to learn how to avoid bad situations, how to not draw attention to ourselves, how to find cover and concealment, how to escape, etc. I like that USCCA teaches all of these. If it comes down to whether you can draw and fire faster than the bad guy, you’ve probably screwed up already.

5 Likes

Hey wade, sorry if your response was to my post. I deleted mine because I realize I was restating something that’s been said over and over again. I agree with “smooth is fast”.

2 Likes

Ha, you were too fast for me this time! :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m a former police officer and MP when I was in the Navy. The only time I can ever remember us working fast draw was for kicks while I was in MP training.

The draw and the shots in the required time was the focus making good shots. This doesn’t negate “speed of the draw” it encapsulates the whole focus with the goal of shots on target as I see it.

I wholeheartedly agree that “smooth is fast”. I watch ASP vids also.

I work my draw based on how I carry but. I try to be inside 2 seconds all the time.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this “fast enough” thing a good bit since seeing the post.
The answer to the OP is, “faster than the bad person attacking you.” That is, every time without fail, fast enough.
There, I said it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes