How far will this go? Suppressors

Like I said, how far will this make it?
Save our hearing!!

5 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the reason behind any suppressor ban. Is it because get shot quietly is more dangerous than getting shoot with a bang? Or is it because the government installed listening devices (we have them in downtown Salt Lake) that record/report gun shoots aren’t as effective when a silencer is used?

4 Likes

The government isn’t making enough money off the tax stamps. If every firearm came with one THEN you wouldn’t hear a peep out of the government

5 Likes

It’s because anti self defense and anti hearing protection lawmakers’ firearm knowledge comes entirely from Hollywood movies where lots of bad guys use silencers that make their firearms completely silent to commit crimes.

If lawmakers based their decisions on reality instead of fantasy they would know that criminals almost never use suppressors because they make handguns harder to conceal and don’t make firearms silent.

Most firearms with suppressors take a sound loud enough to damage your hearing with one shot and tone it down to the level of a jackhammer. Not remotely silent enough to get away with murder. But quieter enough to save a person’s hearing and keep the neighbors a few miles away from shooting areas from having to listen to very loud noises all day.

They are a far more useful tool for recreational shooters and home defenders who don’t have time to put hearing protection on when a criminals crash through the door. But because of movies and the incredibly rare case when a criminal uses a suppressor everyone else has to have their rights restricted. Criminals use cars to commit crimes millions of more times than silencers and with far greater effect. I’m not sure why the lawmakers aren’t insisting on extra taxes, fingerprinting and one year waiting periods on car purchases to keep us all safe from crime? That is the “logic” they are using on suppressor purchases.

Criminal could make a suppressor with a few parts from the hardware store if they really wanted to use them. All these restrictions on law abiding citizens have no effect on criminal use. The only impact are significantly increased costs, waits and risk of hearing damage for the rest of us.

11 Likes

FYI. Unfortunately this bill will not go very far. Doubt it will get beyond the Senate and Biden would for sure veto it.

The case to pull suppressors from the NFA was brought up to the Supreme Court when Trump was president. Unfortunately Trump ordered the justice department to argue before SCOTUS that the case should not be heard and SCOTUS unfortunately declined to take up the case. So don’t expect a different outcome with Trump as President he and the Republican majority in the House and Senate had two years to pass the safe hearing act and it didn’t even get brought to the floor for a vote.

4 Likes

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I found out that a city near me had installed a system that identified shots. But what really got me, was the Police Chief for that City made a public appeal for access to citizens installed security video cameras… and over 1600 people gave them access. Because the Police Chief “super pinky promised” that the City would not abuse that access and, of course, within a couple of weeks they (wait for it) abused that access (color me surprised).

10 Likes

That studies show work about as well as the mRNA “vaccines” did for COVID-19, maybe worse.

6 Likes

It was enacted during Prohibition to protect us from bootlegging gangsters who used suppressors, short barreled shotguns and rifles and machine guns to kill law abiding people. So, the legislative logic goes, if a $200 tax stamp was imposed on suppressors, then gangsters would buy fewer suppressors and fewer innocent people would be killed. Makes perfect sense, right? Your tax dollars at work.

5 Likes

What I have read is most of the people the “gangsters” killed were rivals, not innocent bystanders - The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, as an example.

5 Likes

If you compare the price of a tax stamp to the price of a hearing aid it’s a whopping deal. What are you complaining about?

5 Likes

Seattle is talking about installing those targeting system. I wonder if they can discern between fireworks and gunshots.

4 Likes

They installed it in Sparks, NV.
Now it’s racist. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That is what some are saying about it in Seattle, racist?

3 Likes

But, that can’t be true! The government would never, ever, ever trade fundamental individual, Constitutionally guaranteed rights for mere security. Bootleggers musta been killing innocent people in droves with short barreled machine guns equipped with silencers that could blow your lungs out to justify the ban on suppressors, and the same would happen today if the tax was lifted.

tsa-child-molestation

3 Likes

This^^^^^

3 Likes

I think our government prefers to take away fundamental rights in return for the illusion of security.

3 Likes

I call that emotional security.

1 Like