How do you persuade new gun owners to train?

I was in my local gun store a couple of days ago, and was hyper-observant, when I noticed a father carrying his toddler in his arms, holding a mask to his baby’s face. A gem moment among gem moments. It felt good to be around like-minded people. I watched as a store worker politely scolded a customer when he handled a gun un an unsafe fashion, when she had no other way to teach him at that very moment regrettably, yet I think he got the message. Later that day, I went online and purchased at an extremely low price, some red rubber inserts for my chambers and triggers, and read up about how to hand a gun to someone in a safer way. I noticed a training class going on down the hall. I even overheard an employee talking to a customer about a woman to whom they administered first aid to as she had sliced her hand while shooting in their range; I guessed it was a semi auto pistol, which made me appreciate the importance and need for education, and training all the more, as well as perhaps I should carry a first aid kit in my range bag. I used the range that day, to shoot my grandpa’s 1937 Mossberg .22 rifle, for the first time, after I had spent several months finally restoring it.

2 Likes

I find that they are usually eager to go shooting, but may be intimidated by the range rules. If you are an experienced shooter have the saftey talk with them and invite them along with you until they get into the routine.

2 Likes
1 Like

Man found dead at a home invasion

1 Like

I’m interested in more training. However, due to claudication in right leg is keeping me from doing alot of standing. I mainly dry fire and keep practicing my holster draw. Right now walking can be painful, so practicing shooting on the move is out of the question. I’m limiting time at range due to the standing for long periods restriction. To any worrying about medical restrictions, do whatever you can to improve.

2 Likes

Wow, have you had any luck finding a range that can accommodate you? Most outdoor ranges I’ve been to have benches where you can sit and fire, but I’ve not seen an indoor range that allowed it.

I still go to the range, they have a bench I can sit on if I need to get off my feet. Any training like shooting on the move is what’s impossible. I can’t walk across a grocery store without my leg hurting to the point I have to get weight off it and I’m skinny.

1 Like

All of our local indoor ranges provide chairs if people want to sit shooting down. Nearly no one does…except fro me to mix it up a little.

1 Like

Someone very wise once said:

"Buying a gun does not make you shooter any more than buying a guitar makes you a musician."

I’ve used that line a million times and it NEVER fails to get the point strongly across.

2 Likes

Take 'em to the range, make it fun.
After a few range days, suggest taking a class together.
If it is a good experience, they’ll repeat it

1 Like