How do you avoid PRINTING?

A Beretta PX 4 .45ACP, CC in a leather OWB holster on a thick leather belt; 10-round mag +1, not always carrying a 10-round spare, depending on clothing choices and where I am going.

5 Likes

๐•ด ๐–•๐–—๐–Š๐–‹๐–Š๐–— ๐•ฒ๐–Š๐–—๐–’๐–†๐–“ ๐–‡๐–‘๐–†๐–ˆ๐–๐–‘๐–Š๐–™๐–™๐–Š๐–—, ๐–“๐–”๐–™ ๐–™๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐–™๐–๐–Ž๐–˜ ๐–™๐–—๐–š๐–‘๐–ž ๐–Ž๐–˜.

5 Likes

When I first started to carry, I worried about printing. Now I have asked people I trust if they can tell and even when they know, it is almost impossible to tell. Most people wouldnโ€™t even notice you exist unless you appear on their phone screen.:laughing:

15 Likes

Good holster, strong 1 1/4โ€ belt or higher and appropriate clothing. As mentioned by @Jerzees AIWB as least for me offers complete concealment without widening or adding an extra 2-3โ€ to my waist.

5 Likes

The good belt is critically important for sure. The holster secures the gun, the belt secures the holster.

5 Likes

Grip length is usually the problem more than barrel length for concealment. 15โฐ (FBI) works better for me than straight cant. Smaller pistols are easier to carry and to conceal than bigger guns.

I donโ€™t worry about being โ€˜madeโ€™ by authorities; Iโ€™d rather itโ€™d not be noticed by anyone.

10 Likes

Forward cant is a big help. To me, 15* is the minimum, I often select 20* on a custom holster when given the option. Really goes a long way towards not having that grip poke out the back especially when you lean or reach forward. Helps comfort seated/driving too, and makes it just a smidge easier not to smack the grip loudly into the wooden booth-back or similar when sitting down

5 Likes

Depending upon your carry position, I would say. And maybe holster style.

My holster is set up vertical to carry around 2 oโ€™clock. The grip rides pretty much parallel to my belt, so the holster actually hangs to a slight negative cant โ€” with the interplay between belt, holster, clip, clothing, body, and weight distribution of pistol a lot is going on for such a simple thing.

3 Likes

Just like all have said I think the best would be 2 oโ€™clock or less. I however have an issue with that in my holster retention (gut) seems to be to great. iWB 5 oโ€™clock for me. T-shirt a little baggy and a good t shirt little thicker and darker color.

Like said earlier most donโ€™t notice. You checking it is worse than the print.

4 Likes

Because of cell phones and computers I type on a simulated or real keyboard a lot more than I use actual pen/pencil and paper.

But I always print when I use paper. Iโ€™ve done it so many years I can print as fast as I can write cursive, and it is much more legible.

2 Likes

I reduce printing by carrying more gear. This probably sounds weird, but it works. Printing happens because of voids, not because of bulk.

My preferred light clothing loadout is a single stack compact 9mm carried with the barrel at 1-oclock, 2 spare mags straddling 12-oclock, 1 CAT-7 tourniquet at 11-oclock. Then my personal secret sauce: I carry a space blanket in a pouch to the right of the trigger guard to fill in the void under the pistol grip.

4 Likes

Interesting. What kind of pouch do you use for that blanket?

3 Likes

Itโ€™s a small pouch that comes with the ComfortTac belly band. Itโ€™s too short for a spare mag but perfect size for a space blanket or wad of cash. I donโ€™t recommend any belly band without a full kydex shell that covers both sides of the trigger guard screwed in to hold the pistol but as far as belly bands go the ComfortTac is pretty good. If you are on the border between sizes though, get the larger size or it will be barely big enough if you stretch it out.

The tourniquet is mounted in their mag pouch that also comes with the belly band.

I wear this under my pants with a belt on the outside which keeps everything tight and adds a bit of space between my shirt and body.

4 Likes

Ah, a belly band. I was wondering how that worked. I was picturing a holster for this, holster for that, then a pouch, like something a person might pick up as a stand alone, but couldnโ€™t picture it.

Belly band it all makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks for sharing

4 Likes

You guys are much more sophisticated than I am. I loosened the cant when I got the holsters. I hooked them to my Kore belt, inserted the firearms, tilted to where it was comfy, then tightenedโ€ฆand never looked back.

4 Likes

This probably doesnโ€™t resolve every issue, but addresses a lot of the challenges and available mitigations. Not at all brand specific.

2 Likes

Wear a cape! Batman does!

4 Likes

Centennial in a Bianchi 152 whilst wearing pleated slacks
Government Model in a Wilson Lo-profile under a sweatshirt, sweater or vest.
No printing.

1 Like

Carful choice of clothing and gear. It is always a bit of compromise do you dress to conceal or adjust your gear to fit what you are wearing. There is no one formula. I often carry a Commander size 1911 .45 IWB around the 4 oโ€™clock position. Unless you are โ€œflashingโ€ the majority of people arenโ€™t observant enough to notice, but you need to take the venue into account.

8 Likes

Good answer!!

2 Likes