Home Security: Deadbolt upgrade?

I just think it’s a warning @Zee. If nobody answers the door people are either home and not answering or they’re not home. The rubber band holds the latch down so burglars can just push the door open, apparently it works ?!?!

1 Like

I know what you are talking about but the door must first be opened for you to put the rubber band on. It has to go over both the inside and outside door handles/knobs and across the bolt so it can not properly engage into the strike.

When the door closes the latch does not engage in the strike but the rubber band adds friction so it feels like the door is closed properly. (That is the theory behind it anyway.)

3 Likes
3 Likes

I tried this on my door because of the way I configured my doors it’s impossible to do this. I tried several ways and they just fall off the door. I have a very unique way of fabricating my home.

2 Likes

The reason why I go to great lengths to protect my home is to make it A where the bad guy goes somewhere else. I have a lot of unique stuff I have don’t such as landscaping and reinforced exterior. If a bad guy does manage to get inside I will be truly in fear of my life.

@BJP - Exactly My Take On It.
I’ve been in computer engineering far to long to trust any computer for security.

2 Likes

As a software tester I would have to agree with you @Zee.

2 Likes

Forced many a door on search warrants or in hot pursuit. I’m for a heavy duty exterior metal security door. It’s what gave me the most problems when I needed to force entry. There were times we used a tow truck to chain up to the door and pull it off the wall. I have one on my house. Ornate but strong. It’s got mesh so I can have my front door open and get fresh air and see out. Any door can be forced eventually. Make it so it takes the most time and the most noise.

3 Likes

All quite true. If you can simply slow potential badguys for as little as 2:00 most will give up and run and for those that don’t it gives the family more than adequate time to fort up and be ready to ambush them when they do get through the door.

Security mesh/screen doors can accomplish that quite easily.

No door however is very resistant without hardened attachments to the structure which is why it’s necessary to build stronger framing around them for them to be anchored to.

4 Likes

This is what we have as well, with dead bolts on both doors, longer screws through the plates.

2 Likes

Us too… steel doors and steel door frames, set into the concrete wall.
… yes, we live in a bunker… :wink:

5 Likes

Yup. Steel doors, reinforced frames, and no windows close enough to reach through and unlock the door. Also, most of our windows are almost 6 feet off the ground.

3 Likes

I ran a window film company for 8 years. I can vouch for a good 8mil Safety and Security Film. I’ve installed bunches for Government and Military as well as private citizens.

1 Like

nice @KevinActual :smiley:
We’re feeling a bit more secure with it, that’s for sure.

1 Like

No deadbolts on my doors. It is a little expensive, but living 1 block from the ocean we have double pane hurricane impact windows and exterior French doors. When we lock a door, the upper and lower pins automatically engage. In addition, there are four 1/4" thick “hooks” that also automatically lock into the jamb as pictured below. The easiest way to break in is to go through an exterior wall.

1 Like

is there a Nationally known manufacturer for your french doors? Hurricane standard would do a lot for me and the four sets of those I have here. Those and the 30 two-pane window sets that could be upgraded…

You know it’s one thing to know you are a magnetic contactor alarm signal away from meeting whatever may come… but sometimes I wish it were Roman times and this house was on the Med where open flow through house plans was the norm. …and I had a unit of the Empire’s best stationed/living with me…

Anyway. Maybe it won’t cost the value of the house to have some nice reinforced glazed panels to go with the brick exterior.

Oh, and as to the doors, currently I have four of the schlage installed as like Zee. Same reasons. Currently the impression of security, but with all the window square footage around the house, there is nothing of security but for active alarm circuits at each exposure.

1 Like

@CHRIS4, I am not going to be home for a couple days, but will post manufacturer’s info when I can.

1 Like

all I could ask for, thank you very much Gary.

1 Like

The manufacturer is Custom Window Systems in Ocala Florida:

From their website:

CWS produces both vinyl and aluminum window and door products which are distributed throughout the Southeastern part of the country.”

So looks like they probably service the Atlanta area. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you Gary! I’ll start this as one of my first quarter projects 2020. (Of course, once I find out what it would take I don’t guarantee against me running for the hills! I’ve heard living in a cave can be quite satisfying and maybe even …cheap!)

4 Likes