Home pressed ammunition

During a B.S. session with firearm buddy a question came up we debated. Question is, if we press our own defensive ammo, could a prosecutor argue “dangerous gun nut making their own ammo…” negligence path even though we load according to the mfg. load data?

2 Likes

Me personally, reloading is for range practice, that’s it.
I prefer to use the brand that my local police department uses or the FBI issue ammo.
Just my opinion

4 Likes

Oh yes they can bring up anything they want and trust me if it’s not up to specs they will use it against you. Petty but true.

4 Likes

My personal opinion here is: make (reload/press) your own defense ammo, but carry factory ammo. Just my 2 cent.

3 Likes

That is what I do for all SD/HD ammo. It’s all Hornady Critical Duty/ Defense. Reload is for the range.

3 Likes

Extreme penetrators or controlled chaos rounds and a pile of blazer brass sure.

Who believes that if someone presses a jacketed hollow point into sig case that after penetration, mushrooming, and tumbling someone is going to run tests (or even be able to proove) showing that it didn’t start life as a v-max???

1 Like

To a prosecutor that is all immaterial.

4 Likes

My question was how would a prosecutor even know it wasn’t factory?

3 Likes

All the way brother @Zavier_D agree with the ammo 100 percent.

1 Like

Wouldn’t they have your firearm and unspent cartridges?

2 Likes

Good point. But even at that, unless it was obvious they were reloads, why would they dig further.

Albeit this is mostly rhetorical because I always carry with factory loads.

1 Like

Depending on the case, someone may want to paint you as a bad guy intent on killing instead of just defending. But I’m not an expert. Just sharing what I’m thinking.

2 Likes

Prosecutors who have experience with these types of cases have a checklist of questions to ask. They have investigators who are knowledgeable in ballistics and possibly has done reloads before. They have there ways.

2 Likes

They’re going to ask. I’m not a lawyer, but I would advise against lying to a prosecutor.

3 Likes

If it’s a good shoot and you are a member of the USCCA they would only have your spent casings.

2 Likes

The police will confiscate your gun and any ammo remaining in it or on your person.

2 Likes

If it’s determined on scene that it’s a good SD incident either by questioning witnesses or canvassing and if the crime scene jives with what you are telling LEOs they take your firearm to test for ballistics but you get it back

1 Like

Like I stated if you have a USCCA critical response team member there that has experience and I am totally confident in that they will have your firearm temporarily.

1 Like

The police will confiscate the firearm at the scene as it is evidence.

Home pressed/hand loaded ammo is not something we recommend for concealed carry or self-defense for a number of reasons. It will be used against you in court. Even if you document everything 100% accurately, if you’re on trial your choices and character are already being called into question. Using factory loaded ammo gives the prosecuting attorney one less big of ammo to use against you as there are unbiased ammo experts that can testify on your behalf.

Check out this thread further details:

5 Likes

Thanks, @Dawn!

2 Likes