Home Intruder

Well…my nightmare finally came true. I was at work and my door camera sets an alarm. I look at the footage and a woman is standing at my door. I just figured it was our mail lady (they wear plain clothes where I live) dropping off a package. Didn’t think anything of it. The next alarm I get is our stairwell alarm. I figured it was one of our cats and almost dismissed it, but checked anyhow. This same lady was inside our house. I promptly called 911. The sheriff’s department responded quickly with five cruisers. Now here’s the worst part. Are you ready? She was asked to come to our house by my friend to get a rim and a tire for his truck that blew a tire 80 miles away from our house. He never called me to tell me she was coming to the house. The sheriff’s department was very kind about the whole incident. I was angry at my friend. I guess the moral of this story is that communication among family members who have guns readily available is very important. This poor lady had the scare of her life seeing all these deputies rushing at her.

8 Likes

It was probably a good thing that you were at work can you imagine your response if you were at home and someone just walked into your house. I know what my response would be

4 Likes

:thinking: how come the Mail Lady opened door in your house? I know sometimes people keeps door unlocked… but… nobody should know about it… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

My response would not have been good. However, the good thing is that I would have seen her pull into my yard before she even got the chance to come in.

2 Likes

It actually wasn’t the mail lady. I had assumed it was our mail lady because this woman favored the lady that delivers our mail. The lady that came into the house was a friend of a friend. I hadn’t met her before today. We know each other now.

2 Likes

How could someone you do not know get into your house?

8 Likes

Whoever it was, friend of the friend… the question remains the sae:
How come the Lady opened door in your house?

2 Likes

The door was unlocked.

1 Like

She was looking for a tape measure to make sure she grabbed the right rim for the truck.

1 Like

At least your alarm system is working well ! Everybody learned something from that!

6 Likes

Yeah it’s got me thinking about updating security and installing cameras

2 Likes

@Jennifer14. do you always keep door unlocked? And after this visit are you still gonna keep it unlocked? :thinking:

3 Likes

With all due respect keeping your door open - but setting your alarm is a little confusing -the end result could have cost you more than it was worth - on top of that a woman walking through your house looking for a measuring tool is a little off too regardless of who sent her - I would be more mad at myself for leaving so many opportunities open

9 Likes

I agree communication is important because there could’ve been a tragedy in this situation. When the cops showed up maybe she would’ve made a sudden move and got shot. The way the public feels about the police nowadays you never know.

3 Likes

Yes, everyone in my office wants those cameras now. My friend, who lives here, should have text me and let me know someone was going into the house too.

1 Like

It’s common practice in our area to keep doors unlocked. I live in the middle of nowhere. The doors are locked at night and when I’m home. But we’re going to start locking them now.

2 Likes

The cameras run 24/7. It’s not an actual alarm system. The cameras send an alarm when there’s movement. Where we live it’s common practice to leave doors unlocked. Been doing this for over 7 years with no incidents. However, that’s not saying it’s good practice. The person who sent her lives here and didn’t think of notifying me that someone was going to go inside of the house to look for his tape measure. He knows how mad I am at him. And, to keep this from happening again, the doors will start being locked during the day when I’m not home.

1 Like

I agree completely. Fortunately, we live in a pretty shielded area and the community is still in favor of our police. Like I told my friend, the doors will be locked from this point forward while I’m gone since he has a hard time sending me a simple text message about what’s going on.

4 Likes

I would start locking your doors. Also, that was a bit presumptuous of your friend to just send that friend to your house. Trust me, I get it. We help people out, but still there has to be boundaries.

1 Like

My question is where are the tire(s) stored? Garage, porch, shed, etc., and is there that large of a selection of tires that measuring is req’d? Sorry, just stuff that immediately came to mind. Our doors remain locked even when we’re home. You never know when someone might just walk in looking for tires and a tape measure. :wink:

2 Likes