Have you experienced new shooters like this at the range? How did you handle it?

I was not going to reply to this, as it is an old thread, but there are several new posts. Many times when I notice a new shooter(s), I will stop what I am doing and offer assistance. If they decide to accept my help, I will take the time to give them training, so as to, at minimum, be safe while shooting, and know how to properly load, unload, hold the firearm and aim/shoot, etc. My goals, first is utmost, to leave, as the old adage states, without any additional holes I did not arrive with; and for them to have a good range experience; and that they will understand the need for training, and suggest they get training. I have also had a couple of experiences where I immediately went to a range employee to address the issues I saw. One addresses the issue in the video, of not paying attention to what they are doing and flagging people while using their cell phones to video/take pictures, etc.

My feeling is we were all new shooters once. For many of us here, I suspect, we were fortunate to have had a parent(s) that taught us when young, so we had the one-on-one firearm safety and shooting training early in life to make it effectively innate. For those that obviously did not get that, we should aid them on their way, make it fun, I always enjoy shooting, and that learning/training is crucial to become safe and proficient. I had one of the range employees comment to me that everyone I take leaves with a smile - that is good. If itā€™s fun, they will be back to learn more, and that is what we want.

4 Likes

Wow that was hard to watch! We were at the range the other night and a lady walked up to a cashier and asked her if she could show her how to use her new gun. At one point she had a loaded magazine in the gun and was pointing it out into the crowd. We were very uncomfortable and asked not to be put us in a lane near her.

We are new gun owners as well and bought a gun before they were all sold out in our area but did not touch it until we went to our beginner handgun training class. We have also attended our CCW class and have gone to the range several times to practice and get comfortable.

I think it is wonderful that there are so many new shooters and I have encouraged several of my co-workers to get guns while also getting them signed up for classes.

After trying out a couple different ranges we have decided on one that always has a visible RSO out and about who is monitoring all of the lanes.

Thank you for sharing the video it is a good reminder that we all need to stay vigilant when at the range.

It seems to me that the managers of this range must be every bit as inept as these girls. The liability they assume by not policing their behavior is scary. One range officer could have focused this group and kept them safe as well as let them have fun. They were enthusiastic kids without the direction range officers could have / should have, provided. Itā€™s a blessing no one was hurt. There were so many red flags that should have alerted the staff to intervene. I predict itā€™s a range that wonā€™t be open long if thereā€™s always that kind of chaos. My two cents. Keep the change!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve experienced a couple people with no range experience and no previous experience handling a weapon . However; taking the time to show people the correct way in my opinion is way better than letting them walk into a hornets nest. These young ladies needed firearm safety amongst other things.

2 Likes

What @Zee said back in Augustā€¦

Iā€™d actually enjoy working with a group like this, although I would probably split them apart to two groups one to go at a much much slower pace with the two who appeared terrified of guns, vs the other women who seemed comfortable enough around them (although were still needing help in safety, technique, etc).

I havenā€™t had anyone this bad on my range, but Iā€™ve had a couple who needed coaching and additional RSO supervision.

2 Likes

It is really good to see so many people here who are willing to step in to help others. Many times, people donā€™t know until they know. I remember my first indoor gun range visit. After completing the required 60 minute intro class, we were just allowed to go into the shooting area and let have. Thank goodness I have some military training, but even with that, not all military positions carry a weapon and shoot regularly. Some positions, as was the case with my military position, are required to shoot one type of weapon just once a year to qualify. I basically observed what others around me were doing first and then proceeded. As with many of your here, those shooting around me were not hesitant in offering advice and/or assistance which was much appreciated.

3 Likes

My very first time firing a handgun was in a NRA Basic Pistol class so I may be coming at this from a different perspective. We had shotguns and rifles, but neither my husband or myself owned handguns. He had shot a lot as a youngster, but his firearm of choice was, and still is a shotgun. I bought a .22 Buckmark and took the class. Awesome. During the range time we shot various types and calibers and I fell in love. Then as a new shooter (and probably because I was an older woman) I was approached many times by experienced shooters and the range and offered tips. I welcomed the help. My husband is a great resource, too. I find that a friendly face and a willingness to listen has helped me when other people offer help. So, I usually will just start a casual conversation with someone, who I can see, is struggling. Iā€™m not a teacher. But, I am willing to share what works for me. I have seen some things similar to this video and just pack up, inform the RSP, and leave if the situation isnā€™t addressed. Personally, I have met the most amazing, helpful, accomplished people of all walks of life at the range. Iā€™ve also met some jerks. I learn something every time I go to the range. My mother taught me to learn something new every day or you might as well be dead. So, I offer help where I can and back off when that help isnā€™t wanted.

2 Likes

Tuesday, took daughter to range and 2 booths down a couple of guys were definitely not following the 4 basic safety rules. They were muzzling each other while they were crammed into one booth couldnā€™t hit the target and just generally acting like idiots.

I just went and pointed them out to range safety officer. Let them handle it.

Normally I take time out if I see someone struggling, time constraints was my reason for letting RSO handle

1 Like

Interesting video. I havenā€™t been to a range that didnā€™t have at least one range officer that was monitoring the activity. Several observations from me:

1. These young ladies would have benefited from an intro class on firearms.
  2. Maybe they could have begun training with a .22ā€¦ Less kick. Less noise and more opportunity to work into the process. (cheaper to shoot as well)
  3. Educate muzzle discipline.
  4. They might enjoy joining a shooting club.
  5. Maybe introduce them to USCCA. Training videos, reading material. etc.

ā€¦just to mention a few. Maybe they could find a range where they could rent a small gun to avoid the loud reports and kick to more easily work on the shooting mechanics. Shoot with friends every week or so according to their schedule. It pleased me that they were at least trying to familiarize themselves with firearms.

To the question as to how did I handle it? ā€“ I have not yet found myself in a position where I was in near proximity to this happy-go-lucky experience. Most ranges advertise shooting classes with the promise of improvement and possibly ā€œdiplomasā€ or certificates to put on the wall to show progression. My 2 cents.
Ross8

Iā€™m solo grateful that this community takes me off Facebook. Lol. Thank you USCCA! Welcome to the family!

1 Like