Guns you wouldn't buy for self-defense

I ended up on the Beretta APX web landing page and immediately decided I would never buy one of these for self-defense. The problem isn’t the firearm, it is the marketing. The entire message is about being designed for Military and Police, and then all about “operators” and “professional end users”. There is nothing about civilian self-defense. It is a turn-off seeing a manufacturer “dis” the civilian self-defense user, as well as a legal concern that if forced to use the gun in a defensive scenario a prosecutor could rub the marketing message in the jury’s face. Contrast this with S&W’s approach, which makes it very clear the M&P line is for professionals and consumers despite the M&P trademark.

So are there guns that are obviously intended for/seem good for self-defense that you would never consider buying for that purpose? Why?

4 Likes

In all honesty, I dont look at the marketing materials. When I was young, starting probably around 9 or 10, I used to come home from a trip to the gun shop with my dad with a brochure for every gun company I could get my hands on and would memorize them from cover to cover (yea, I had a problem, still do) but now I dont pay attention, ignore ads in the magazines that I get in the mail (NRA, CCM, etc) and dont buy magazines. I can pretty much look at a gun and see if I would like it. So, why am I replying?

Cause you bring up a very interesting point. On one hand, one might argue that what you are describing is a stretch at best, but it really is not. If you need further proof, take a look at the Remington Arms/Sandy Hook lawsuit brought on by precisely how it is alleged that Remington (Bushmaster) marketed their AR rifles and the laws that were set aside for that lawsuit to proceed. So, Harold26, I think you were right to take this into consideration, cause you also have to think about the civil as well as criminal side.

6 Likes

The thing that I never understood was why with certain brands (I am sure you all know which ones) they only make nightsights available for leo? ( Or if they have an over inventory, then they are made available to non-leo)
I know sights are a subjective subject, yet I would rather they come from the factory.(just me) 99% of the time they are sighted in.
Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

When I read the title of this post…this is what I was thinking :thinking::grimacing:

16 Likes

I wasn’t actually trying to research the gun. I clicked on a link from an article. But seeing that just turned me off. But I can’t unsee the web page.

And it isn’t that I wouldn’t buy an APX if it appealed to me, it is that I wouldn’t use it for self-defense. Fortunately I am a multi-interest firearms owner :blush:

2 Likes

Fair enough, but your point is still very valid in light of the Remington/Sandy Hook lawsuit.

3 Likes

Yeah, actually that is what I’m looking for not just my marketing oriented example. I won’t use my Single Action Army for self-defense either. Or at least not if I have another choice. Not that it wouldn’t be effective in that role. And I do live in the old west :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually I don’t know which ones! But that does seem silly.

3 Likes

It doesn’t bother me. If it’s available for sale, I’ll evaluate based on features and price.

Ever wonder why the 1911 is not marketed as a military assault pistol?

2 Likes

Hi zim KittyLovesGod I introduced myself the dsy before yesterday. Im hrand new to this site so please be patient with me
Ive had my CWP a few years BUT haven’t gotten GOOD training bc of money issues. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

There are a lot of drills to practice without using live ammo that you can do in the comforts of your home.

Be safe.

1 Like

The marketing doesn’t affect the product, so why do you care either way? The same is true for cars, toothpaste, clothes. Marketing is what it is, and i mostly avoid it. i’m not their target. I buy based on research, regardless of the marketing campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9wBHW2160

Maybe on target, maybe not. It is why I have multiple safes. I for my SD/HD weapons. Then one for my competition guns. SD guns at most have a light added. Other than a light that’s how they came out of the box.

Competition guns have had alot of work done on them.

SD/HD weapons are well known name brands and use rounds that local law suggest.

So the way it is marketed does matter to me.

1 Like

:grinning: You took first sentence too seriously… :slightly_smiling_face: The last one says:
The APX truly is the ultimate striker fired pistol from Beretta, designed to make sure you #WintheFight
So this one is definitely tool which wins self-defense fight as well. :wink:

But seriously - marketing shouldn’t decide what you choose for self-defense. Other gun owners’ reviews and own tests at the range are credible the most.

3 Likes

Any micro pistols… Don’t care about the manufacturer or caliber… I’m just not a fan :grin::v:t5:

2 Likes

Don’t get an M&P… The name of them screams Military & Police​:thinking::wink:

1 Like

Love my m&p shield 380 ez. Jus sayin

4 Likes

I don’t know about that, but you can’t go wrong with several strategically placed 9 pounders. Who wouldn’t run?

2 Likes

I love my M2.0. great guns, but I had to throw out a little sarcasm. Unfortunately, sarcasm is harder to see in text :pleading_face::wink:

1 Like

They are trying to sell firearms to wannabee Rambos
That’s the gist I get from the hype.
Mr Harold are you familiar with your pistol’s reputation for being preferred by cold blooded killers?
Hype can be a turnoff. I get that.
The silliest ad I’ve come across featured a shotgun held by a grimacing turkey hunter dressed in full combat cammo and splattered in mud, with the 1000 yard stare in his eyes, like a GI fresh from the Battle of the Bulge.

4 Likes