Gun Safety Tips For Everyone | USCCA

My father taught me gun safety starting when I was 5 years old and fired my first shotgun.
He continued that training throughout my years with him, gun safety NEVER ends!
The funny part about this whole thing, if there is one, is that the POLICE OFFICER violated every single one of the four steps mentioned.
That is a scary thought!
I went on a ride-along once in Compton California! We got called on a possible bank robbery. Turns out the guy merely had a shotgun in his trunk in front of a bank that was seen by others. When we arrived the officer that I was with got the shotgun but did NOT know how to open the chamber! HMM??? So he handed me the gun to check it out, which I did and it was empty! Surprised me why he did NOT know how to open the chamber on a pump shotgun when he has a similar one locked to the dashboard of his cruiser!

3 Likes

@Walt5. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :grinning:

This guy has no business wearing a badge, and he definitely shouldnā€™t be allowed to serve on ANY Police Department! He is an idiot who should have been fired IMMEDIATELY! Also, the guy behind the counter who handed him the weapon should lose his FFL if he has one. He should be fired and if he is the owner, then the store should be shut down. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this obvious display of safety incompetence.

1 Like

@Brian_Keith. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

1 Like

I am glad to be a part of this community! Videos like this show how VERY IMPORTANT it is to ALWAYS be a responsible gun owner and handler. From the first time my Sister and I were even shown the weapons my parents owned, we were taught the Commandments about gun handlingā€¦and to this day, those Commandments instantly pop into my head in any situation, whether looking at a gun or before I even place my pistol in itā€™s holster for carryā€¦and even before heading to the range for practice. Lucky that this police officer (who should have been reprimanded) didnā€™t kill himself or someone else.
And as I adviseā€¦before I was allowed to shoot my parentā€™s firearms, I learned to field-strip and clean them firstā€¦and this is something I still do, to this day.

2 Likes

@David_b2. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

:+1: :100:% GUN SAFETY

1 Like

They certainly should. I work part time at a gun store. Safety in gun handling is the most important thing we learn and teach. All associates drop magazines and lock the slide back before handing over a gun. I make it a point to show the customer the empty chamber visually before letting go of the weapon.

There is as much negligence here behind the counter in this situation.

3 Likes

Please read this anecdote, on a safety experience which I discovered on my own today:

Itā€™s related to ammunition, and its correct usage, particularly if your firearm cannot accept +P rounds, and especially during ammo shortages when many of us look to different stores to purchase.

Basically, I purchased a small box of new ammo, not intending to buy +P type of caliber, but when I opened the box, I discovered that one of the rounds was +P. It was not what I ordered, nor was it labeled as such on the box. I had read that not all firearms are safe to use +P, that some firearms can be damaged and might pose risk to the owner, and in a rare defensive situation, the firearm can malfunction leaving you without it.

Key
Key for me was ā€œhow did I even discover itā€. Prior to today, I rarely ever inspected the new cartridges, though I have heard we should, each and every one of them carefully. I pulled one out at random, and when I looked at the bottom of the casing, there it was printing on it +P. I inspected the rest, none of rest had +P on it,

However, I did notice that among the rounds, there were different names of different companies on it. Yet the color of the casing and tip were exactly alike, so you would never notice their differences unless you looked at the bottom of the case.

It gets more complex. I no longer have the eyes of a 25 year old. So I used a magnifying glass and the brightest lights I could find. Every gun owner should have a magnifying glass. Notice your casings have tiny, dull printing on the back.There are even some low cots magnifying glasses which have an attached light bulb, I got one (showing my age).

I contacted the seller asking what they can do to assist me for having made this purchase.

It reminded me that I cannot always trust sellers (despite their being as nice as they are), and that I need to inspect each cartridge.