Gun-friendly School Zone?

Schools should be a safe learning environment. Our children shouldn’t have to be concerned with getting hurt at school - by bullies or shootings. Yet teachers and parents alike, worry about the students’ physical safety on a daily basis.

Herb Kohl (D-WI) introduced the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 and President Bush signed it into law to keep bad guys with guns away from schools.

As we have seen in the almost 30 years since the law was enacted, bad guys with guns aren’t big on following laws.

From the blog post:

Fortunately, GOP congressmen, led by Thomas Massie (R-Kentucky), have introduced H.R.3200 — The Safe Students Act — in an effort to roll back Kohl’s Gun-Free School Zones Acts. Citing statistics from a report by John Lott, Massie issued a press release stating:

“Gun-free zones are ineffective and make our schools less safe […] 98 percent of mass public shootings since 1950 have occurred in places where citizens are banned from having guns. Banks, churches, sports stadiums and many of my colleagues in Congress are protected with firearms. Yet children inside the classroom are too frequently left vulnerable.”

Massie introduced H.R.3200 on June 11, 2019. It has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.

What prerequisites, if any, would you like to see before someone can carry a firearm in a school?

4 Likes

If they can legally carry a gun, I say party on. Yes, I’m including Constitutional Carry. I’m less worried about people around kids with guns, than I am about how people drive in the school parking lot.

5 Likes

If people are legally licensed to carry a firearm and have the proper training then yes. If they’re in one of those few constitutional carrier state then I say fine, There’s many young veterans that that could handle this task easily.

1 Like

“Shooting USA” just aired a episode called “Faster in the Schools” on a program that has trained 1,500 Ohio teachers to carry at school. The training included range time and actual simulations in a school building. Anyone who could pass that course would be qualified to carry at a school.

2 Likes

I understand the truth that Gun Free zones don’t stop those intent on committing violent acts. In fact, they make it easier for them to succeed. That being said there are other considerations that need to be brought up.

After 20+ years of teaching in a very gun friendly State, I’ve seen my share of incidents gone bad, that might have been much worse had firearms been involved. Schools often must deliver bad news to parents, i.e. Jonny started a fire in the restroom or Mary is not keeping up with her classwork. This kind of news can often cause an emotional response (understandably) and can for a few moments cloud one’s judgment. Schools are aware of this and usually are prepared go help diffuse the situation.

As a CC person I would never carry into a school. Part of being responsible is knowing when I personally should and should not carry. Keeping my emotions in check is crucial go being responsible and knowing when they might become out of check is my signal to leave my firearm at home.

It’s a shame that law can’t be done away with!!!

In Oregon, all you need is a CHL to legally carry concealed (only allowed to carry concealed) in a Public School.

1 Like