Green Card And CCW

Hello everyone,

My father is wanting to get his medical marijuana green card, but he is worried about what that will do to his ability to purchase a firearm or more important his CCW permit in Ohio. Any advice would help. Thanks is in advance.

1 Like

The Form 4473, a Federal form for buying firearms, asks:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or
decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

4 Likes

In my opinion that question is extremely important and instead of asking 20 different opinions I would pay an attorney licensed in your state Ohio for the right answer the first time no mistakes. @MikeBKY is from Kentucky he may know otherwise I would pay so you have the right answer, you don’t want to start the paperwork out giving false statements for any reason.

4 Likes

They did mention in my CCW class, for AZ, that since marijuana is federally illegal, you can not have a CCW and a medical marijuana card. Based on the form 4473, I assume this is the case in all states.

3 Likes

@Terence1 I think you’re making a good assumption there, and, for definitive answers in your state, a local firearms-knowledge lawyer is always a good plan.

2 Likes

@Casey2 I cannot specifically answer what Ohio will do with respect to allowing a person with a medical marijuana card to obtain a CCL or revocation of a CCL because a person is issued a CCL. Here is the link for guidance from ATFE. Identify Prohibited Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
The problem comes from the prohibition against any person “who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802).”. So, while Ohio has legalized medical marijuana, it is still illegal under federal law. Ohio may or may not revoke a CCL based upon issuance of a medical marijuana card. Under federal law, anyone who uses marijuana, no matter what the reason, cannot ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms or ammunition.”

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I was pretty sure what you told me was already correct. Better to stay on the safe side.

2 Likes