CCW vs recreatiinal marijuana

As a state/county, liscense, legal, CCW holder/carrier…if I smoke recreationally…can I still carry? Obvioysly the circumstance n actions would be greatly altered if forced to utilize weapon BUT, can one carry if he/she has smoked weed only or is in possession of weed…thoughts…Michigan.

4 Likes

@James1492 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still a gray area, can you carry while intoxicated with alcohol? No. I would think the same with weed.

Legal Marijuana Resources | State and Federal | Marijuana and the Law

This is all part of the plan to keep you “stoned, stupid and starving” whitmers plan for MI. is working.

3 Likes

Under Federal law, since MJ is a Schedule 1 illegal drug, you are a “prohibited possessor” and it is a crime for you to even hold or shoot a gun, much less carry one. That is the crux of the recent Hunter Biden trial, although his Schedule 1 drug was cocaine.
Whether you need to worry about the fFeds coming after you is your decision.
Moving to state law: since the U.S. Dept of Justice basically said MJ is not a biggie (Obama Administration, Eric Holder as Atty Gen) you need to know what legal jeopardy you might be in under the laws of your state and the enforcement policies of local sheriffs and police.

This is not legal advice, it is observation on real world situations.

Here in Arkansas, using marijuana used to cause refusal by State Police to grant a CCW license; it still is, but last year the legislature passed a law forbidding the State Police from asking the question.
Since that change is likely to shift to a problem with ATF on background checks on purpose, some CHCL instructors are suggesting the legislature repeal that law.

Again, learn what really happens in your state, both officially and unofficially, and weigh your risk tolerance.

7 Likes

All of this :point_up:

I would recommend not being in possession of your gun if you’re under the influence, just like not being in possession of a gun while drunk. That’s a definite additional charge if there’s any trouble.

Will the local DA charge you with lying on the form in the event of a legitimate self defense shooting where you were sober at the time?

That’s the risk @Craig_AR is talking about.

5 Likes

If you are a user of marijuana you are a federal felon simply for having marijuana. You are committing a serious crime when you recreationally use marijuana, no matter what your state says

Additionally, you are an even worse felon if you are a user of marijuana and possess a firearm as it is even more felonious to combine the two.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/persons-federally-prohibited-from-possessing-firearms/

If you are a user of marijuana, and you buy a gun at an FFL/gun store, you are committing an additional crime by lying on the form (4473)

These are all federal crimes I am referring to

I am not an attorney, this is not legal advice. My personal random person advise to you is to have nothing whatsoever to do with marijuana in any way, period. Maybe if you give up ALL of your guns and your state says it’s okay, it is then relatively low risk…but still illegal

4 Likes

^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^
Welcome James to the fold.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do w/ Pot.
My own feeling is Pot/Drinking Alcohol doesn’t mix w/ Driving, Operation any Hand tools or any
operation where you are IMPAIRED and your senses are foggy and reaction times dulled…
Pot may be a great relaxant and Soften the blows of a hard day but handling a firearm stoned can only lead to really bad CONSEQUENCES.
Besides the LAW aspect your Situational Awareness is shot to SH**

My thought is it’s Guns or Pot.
(besides the Weed today is dot.gov ‘enhanced’ you don’t know what is in it now).
In the old days Pot came off the plant and sold to the end user…today all bets are off who did what to ANY ‘Recreational drugs’.

3 Likes

Welcome James1492.

I understand. Some folks use for medical reasons.

Got a relative who’s a recovering addict, and his own son died from substance abuse. Now he preaches “Get high on life”. I’ve been lucky, but under stress, I head out to the great outdoors, that’s my high.

Best to you and yours brother.

Related opinion article …

1 Like
1 Like

@James1492 Welcome to the community!

1 Like

THe link above did not work for me
BUT, if you use the search bar on that page for the marijauna, I was able to get to that one and several other MJ articles.

2 Likes

Remember anything you do will be used against you. You go to a MJ store to buy it legally and leave a trail that you bought from there, it will be used against you. As previously mentioned, it’s still a schedule 1 drug. Don’t give the gubment ammo to use against you.

5 Likes

Welcome James1492. We are glad you found us.

As you can see from the responses recreational use is not recommended. I cannot give a truly personal account because I do not nor have I ever used any drug in a recreational manner. Prescription only. I saw too many guys when I was in the Air Force go down for recreational use. I told myself no.

Fast forward several years and I find myself a civilian and responsible gun owner who is married to another civilian and responsible gun owner. My loving Wife though, has Fibromyalgia and is in constant pain. We know smoking a little weed from time to time will ease her pain, but being responsible gun owners, she does not, because she values her gun rights and her freedom.

Simple answer to your question is don’t. Just don’t.

5 Likes

Awsome! Thanks for your time and valueable info, plz share…

2 Likes

Here in Arkansas, using marijuana used to cause refusal by State Police to grant a CCW license; it still is, but last year the legislature passed a law forbidding the State Police from asking the question.
Since that change is likely to shift to a problem with ATF on background checks on purpose, some CHCL instructors are suggesting the legislature repeal that law.

My understand is that’s how it is in Illinois too. We have legal recreational marijuana but the State Police still have the question. Whether or not answer honestly results in a denial of the license I have no idea since I don’t smoke it. Our instructor seemed to think that it would.

But yeah even if state law allows it you still have federal law. And like @Will_B

Will the local DA charge you with lying on the form in the event of a legitimate self defense shooting where you were sober at the time?

That would be a serious concern if I was in that position.

2 Likes