First time cleaning a firearm?

Don’t over oil it. A drop of oil goes a very long way

4 Likes

All weapons are different. I used to enjoy cleaning my firearm. Not so much anymore. I had a friend who had a .45 from Kimber and all he did was run a bore snake through it every once in a while and it just kept working, flawlessly.
I also went to a shoot-campout with several persons who shot competitively, a couple police, one of whom is the armorer for a major police department. One person showed up with I believe it was a Ruger MK 3. We shot it then that evening were cleaning it. Came apart fine. All of us spent HOURS that night trying to figure out how to get it back together. Never figured it out (Did not hav the manual). After the shoot he got home and with the manual got it back together. He sold it as soon as he could… just frustrated him. I myself have had a Ruger MK2 for 30 years. I dont shoot it much because I DREAD having to field strip it. To this day I have to use the manual every time I clean it to put it back together. Like some Chinese puzzle.
I guess my point is cleaning seems to be over emphasized. I know several people where shooting is part of their job. Most dont clean their firearms except for major dirty environments or perhaps after every 6 months or so. I dont know the answer. All of their guns work flawlessly with minimal, perhaps once or twice a year cleaning. I am anal and clean my firearm after every shoot. I will add an exception to this, and that be precision long range shooting. At a minimum the barrel is cleaned religiously. Not necessarily the action.
I say clean often using state of the art products like Mil-Comm and at a minimum you can feel assured your firearm is protected.
All this being said… always check your firearm before a range session. Dosent hurt to run a patch through the barrel and make sure everything is in order. At a minimum you will extend the life of your firearm.