Fiber optic or night sights

Just figured I would reach out to the sages of uscca, and tap the knowledge.
I have noticed a big trend towards fiber optic front sights, great for the range. Yet do you all prefer fiber optics or night sights for carry firearms?
Especially, if low light or night conditions?
Also, how well do the fiber optics hold up? Breaking, or falling out?
Thanks so much for your help!

3 Likes

My only experience with practical use of either comes from a hunting handgun I have fiber optic sights on my Ruger. In even the lowest light, the front sight all but glows. But, it does require some, albeit not much, but still some light. As far as holding up, I’ve had no problems. This is on a .357 mag, shooting some pretty hot, 180 grain loads.

3 Likes

James322, I have never had a fiber optic sight break or fall out, I have this type of sight on several guns and others with true night sights. They both have many pro points. I find that on the range or most any daylight shooting the fiber optics are great for older eyes to pick up quickly.
The night sights are just that, great at night, still very good on the range in the day time. True night sights have a life span and as they get older they tend to be dimmer, this does not happen with the fiber optic units.
I really like the hybrid sights, they bring the best of both units. Give them a try I think you may like them.

Larry

2 Likes

You will probably get a lot of different opinion… but… you do calculation, pros & cons and find what would work for you.

YES - Fiber is a great option for range. No doubt. With good fiber rods you don’t need a bright light to make them blaze. Variety of colors makes them very attractive. Easy to pickup when you need quick shot.
Tritium on the other hand, is great at night or very low light condition… however in self-defense or home-defense situation - you don’t need night sights if you keep flashlight on you (and I’m sure you do). Definitely better option for long term sights. Also very visible at day (just have to look for tritium with bright dot).

My personal preference - tritium, but only because my handguns are just tools, I don’t treat them gently… so all my fibers were good for few days only. I’ve been breaking them in holsters or they went matte after using cleaning solvents.

A lot of people use TruGlo TFX - combination of tritium and fiber. That might be good option for someone who would like to have bright sights 24/7.

3 Likes

I use fiberoptic front with blacked out rear. I have never had a problem with them breaking or falling out. Like @Jerzees, I have had a tube or two go matte, but I just swap out the tube for a fresh one.

2 Likes

Jerzy
Lol! Yeah, I am a bull in a China shop! I have the same mentality about firearms, they are tools. My wife always jokes, yeah if you think it’s durable, give it to my husband and let’s see in a month! Lol! :+1::grin:

3 Likes

And to be clear - replacing fiber rod in sight is super easy. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Correct. I have a hiviz on my m&p. The tube snaps in. All needed to replace the tube is push the old one out and snap in the new one. Super easy and secure once it’s in.

4 Likes

I have Ameriglo CAP sights and HiViz fiber optic with changeable optic pipes. I like the HiViz better then my Ameriglo. Plus the Hiviz were much More inexpensive than night sights. Even with night sights you need a flashlight anyway and when you shine the flashlight the HiViz front sight light up.

2 Likes

I have fiber optic sights on my M&P 9 shield performance center and I love them but at night they are useless. My 2.0 and my regular shield both have night sights but I can carry them all day and night and I am not limited to when I carry them. Oh and my Glock 43 has night fission sights. So if your gun is going to be your primary carry peace I would go with night sights.

2 Likes

I like night sights because those two glowing dots make it easier to locate the firearm when something goes bump in the night. On the other hand if it is too dark to see your sights, it is probably too dark to 100% identify your target. For me personally I will have a flashlight on the subject, or a low light encounter will be at close enough range I won’t be using sights.

5 Likes

Both of my primary pistols have the Sig X-Ray 3 night sights. I really like them and feel they do a great job both day and night. I just like tritium sights though.
Fiber sights are excellent if they have even a little ambient light to work with. They also wont start to get dim after a decade or more. I think it is mostly a personal preference thing for most of us. As others have mentioned, if you have a light the fiber optic sights will work just fine.

5 Likes

Gonna agree with the tritium opinion. No light required and tho you can’t replace it like you can a fiber optic you can find reputable sight manufacturers that will replace the tritium. But since tritium is good for 10yrs or so. Even if I had to completely replace the sights it’s worth the investment

4 Likes

Why do you need to choose? Get the best of both worlds!
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-pro-handgun-sights.asp

4 Likes

Good suggestion there Mike I was just about to go there. The combo Tritium Fiber Optic.

3 Likes

I need to see if they have them in suppressor size for my G19.

1 Like

My personal preference is the regular HiViz fiber optic, at night you need a flashlight to see what you maybe shooting at and whats around and behind your target. My opinion is the night sights on your pistol is a waste of money. I bought my HiViz sights with extra optic pipes for $43 on Amazon.

2 Likes

I think anything that helps you be on target in a low light situation is good. All of my HD weapons have a weapon mounted high lumen count light on them.

So consider me pro fiber optic sight.

2 Likes