Favorite Firearms-Related Books

Since I mentioned some of my favorite firearms books in another post, I figured that I would start a topic on books.

So what are your favorite books on firearms? They can involve techniques, history, politics, and even fiction novels.

My current favorites are the many books put out by Collector Grade Publishing. These are all high-quality hardcover books that cover the history and use of many different firearms. If you haven’t heard of them and you are interested in the subject, then look them up.

4 Likes

Six Guns and Hell I Was There by Elmer Keith.

3 Likes

for learning about gun control, real-world stats on gun use for self defense and getting your information together to talk with others, these from John Lott Jr.
First: John Lott Jr - More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws

and this John Lott Jr - The War on Guns: Arming Yourself Against Gun Control Lies:

and this John Lott Jr - The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You’Ve Heard About Gun Control Is Wrong

4 Likes

My personal most-useful and I’ll-read-that-again (and I do!) would be Lt. Col. David Grossman… buy and read both of these, or get them on audio book. “On Killing”:

and “On Combat”:

this is absolutely the best information I’ve seen on both the physiological and psychological effects of killing, and also what actually equips you to function well enough in that kind of situation to be able to be clear decisions about shoot/don’t shoot, and capable of doing what is needed should you need to shoot.
Really well written, clear, easy to read, and provide insight as well as actionable information you can do something with. The audiobook versions are beautifully read as well.

3 Likes

I have read, and own, Dr. Lott’s books. I routinely go back and read through “More Gun Less Crime”, and I regularly donate to his organization, the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC). However, I have not read Lt. Col. Grossman’s work. I will definitely add those to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendations!

3 Likes

They’re both on my desk waiting impatiently for me to read them!

2 Likes

One of these days I intend to read a Jim Cirillo’s Takes from the Stakeout Squad.

1 Like

Currently reading this, and finding it very direct, to the point, and useful: The Cornered Cat: A Woman’s Guide to Concealed Carry by Kathy Jackson. On Audio and Kindle too.

3 Likes

I’m lazy and don’t feel like walking downstairs to snap some pics, but I like this one along with reference books.

Control: Exposing the Truth About Guns https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAWQ6E6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JurSCbPNCNY5K

2 Likes

Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps’ Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936891301/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JzwSCbRGSNX17

One of the best defensive mindset books I’ve read.

2 Likes

Left of Bang is on my short list

2 Likes

Not precisely gun related but my favorite book in how to train effectively - The Talent Code
The Talent Code: Greatness Isn’t Born. It’s Grown. Here’s How.

I’m bringing this thread back to life because books are not getting old.

Anyway, there is a new book that hit the shelves last week and I’m wondering if anybody got a chance to read it already.

Something all of us should have at home (coming on November 29th, 2022)

This updated edition includes deep dives into the:

• •Kyle Rittenhouse trial
  • •Ahmaud Arbery shooting
  • •SCOTUS’ New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen ruling
  • •Legal standards for self-defense
  • •Castle doctrine and stand your ground laws
  • •Debunking self-defense myths
  • •Realities of post-shooting psychological trauma
  • •Commentary on problematic hardware
1 Like