DON'T BE This Guy! (Hunter on Hunter)

A Georgia hunter was shot and killed after being mistaken for a deer

I can’t stress this point enough. Don’t shoot until you know your target and what’s behind it. Every year there are major failures of hunter training, we hear it all the time. Seriously! IF it IS a deer, it will be a deer five minutes, five hours, or five days from now. Your friend may not be so if You Don’t Know!

(then there’s hunting bow season with a fire arm… but, Jesus…)

11 Likes

How was this friend mistaken for a deer? And do you have anymore information on this. I’m a little confused how a person wearing camo with hi visible markings or orange outlines would be taken as a brown animal.

3 Likes

People get stupid or excited and take sound shots, or wiggling-brush shots.

My first ex was hunting when a couple rounds snapped past his head… someone shooting from across a draw to his side of the ridge with no clue and no sight picture. :scream:

5 Likes

This is one of the reason I only hunt on private property, alone, or with my son in the blind with me. Too many Chicago hunters come here, and shoot at EVERYTHING!

4 Likes

@45IPAC. You can’t trust a Chicago Hunter Chet for different reasons, they could be drinking while hunting which means it’s dangerous, they can cop a Chicago attitude, you probably know what I’m saying, they could be there to ditch a gun or two that may have a body attached to them. Chicago many Chicago people believe that anyone who lives outside of the greater Chicago metropolitan area either do not exist or something else I won’t get into. There’s a few good ones I’m sure. You just don’t know so better to exercise caution than blind trust. I’ve been here not all my life but 55 years out of my 69 years, so I’m a good resource for many things.

2 Likes

@CoonDockCountry I’m afraid I only have the local news article. It would appear two young ‘folk’ went out hunting with firearms (during bow season) and became separated enough to have lost awareness of where the other was. It seems the victim got himself into a thicket and started moving the branches around. The other took the commotion as a ‘possible’ and either shot hoping to hit the animal or “just spook it out.”

Given the blatant mistakes described in the article, I’d have to go with the possibility neither was flagged in hunter orange. It’s a certainty they were not communicating effectively. As often the case, it is a terrible waste of two young folks; and a lesson taught again why hunter safety is so darn important to take seriously.

2 Likes

Wow! @CHRIS4. People just don’t communicate anymore like they should.

2 Likes

OK thanks. Yea I can see the possibility of brush disturbance being a reason to fire. With that being said this is a very clear case of poor training by parents in which allowing young ones or of age to think it’s right to shoot firearms during bow season, now if you can’t see what it is to identify it. Probably best not to shoot at it. Especially since you knew you came out with a friend.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time ago, but, a hunter from Chicago shot a neighbors cow. Brown cow, deer are brown, sure it makes sense. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh lord Chet,
Well there you have it. There’s a state conservation area outside of Chicago, called Des Plaines Conservation Area (or at least there was) Shotgun Deer and farm raised Pheasant but it’s really not hunting because you’re in an area where farm raised birds so you know there guaranteed to shoot your limit, but they draw out of Chicago predominantly. I was there once years ago I went home there were many hunters drinking hard liquor and some with shotgun in one arm beer can in other hand, running with 6 packs attached to belts. Very unsafe park rangers only present at ranger station. Conservation police nowhere. There apparently was no funding for more than a few officers for several parks per 1 conservation police officer. Anyway, to get out of there and I have never been back.

2 Likes

This is why I quit hunting, too many STUPID people out there. My last hunt: Early morning, first day black powder season. A nice rack coming thru the bushes at a steady pace, not the step, step, pause, of a deer, just a steady plodding. Idiot carrying deer on his back, head of deer on top of his head. He had killed the deer at night before opening day. Look on his face when he looks down the bore of my .50 caliber Hawkin was priceless, I have not been hunting since. I don’t want to shoot anybody, and I don’t want to be shot by some Idiot with an itchy trigger finger.

7 Likes

:scream:
Some people really don’t think. He was very very lucky that you do.

Welcome to the group!

3 Likes

Yeah, I read about that. Hunter claimed it was the biggest two-point buck he ever saw.

2 Likes

Great post Chris. I was reminded given the gorgeous Season we are in at present. Recently saw a few vids; Will copy below.

Personally, I can’t mock an entire city, but call out the entire country, any one, as visitors come to the U.S. to hunt too. Choose time, dates, places carefully. Go orange or pink hat and vest at a minimum. I read that deer are color-blind.

Consider flu arrows for shorter distance and easier retrieving em. Study the site first, look it up, know what’s in season there and by what weapon.

I was surprised, many states “don’t require education or training at all”. I also wear a body armor vest when I go:

Vid 1:

Vid 2 (Warning, this one sadly tells story of a man accidentally shooting his brother):

1 Like

This. I grew up and lived 36 years in deep Southern Illinois (Williamson and Johnson counties). The”Chicago Hunters” would swarm down every deer season. I remember a farmer in Pope county stenciling “COW” in white paint on his black angus cattle one year after losing one the year before. Then there was the clown that brought a Shetland pony into the check station😳. The only Good thing was that most of these morons would never get more than 1/4 mile off the road. If you were a mile or two back you usually had things to yourself. Used to be a place by Devils KitchenLake the local folks called “little Korea”-cause it sounded like a war zone😏

1 Like

I know where your talking about. I’m in Franklin county. Lucky for me, I either hunt on a private farm that belongs to a family friend, or I hunt with my brother on his farm. The closest “Chicago” hunter is almost 2 miles away.

1 Like

Related true stories:

several years ago we had a problem with a local huntclub. we had let a buddy take his father and son (3 generations) on a spring gobbler hunt on our property to be filmed for his hunting show. dipshits from the huntclub pulled up and saw their decoys in the field and immediatly just opened fire on them, from across the property line, dumping turkey shot everywhere, including threw the blind the 3 of them were sitting in. we had some VERY choice words with the head of the huntclub that involved some very unsavory language immediately after. turns out it was an out of town hunter that was from chesapeake that had no idea where he was supposed to be. the next year they booted all of the city hunters out of the club and we never had another problem

2 Likes