Do you match your range ammo with your defensive loads.?

Do you match your range ammo with your self defense loads? For me the answer is yes specifically I’ve always got an eye out for sales on Federal 147 grain flat nose. They seem to match up well with the Federal 147 grain HST which is my preferred carry load.

7 Likes

No I don’t,all y cc weapons has only DRT rounds in them and spare mags also are loaded with DRT rounds

2 Likes

Generally no, it isn’t enough of a difference to matter (and the hottest stuff is usually 115gr FWIW)

Point of impact is close enough on all of them in my pistols that I don’t worry about it. I buy good quality 115gr of a few types when I want the hottest FMJ that will most closely replicate carry ammo. Speer Lawman 115gr is the hottest (check YouTube for chrono results) bulk range ammo so far.

5 Likes

For me, it matters not what I’m shooting. I do not shoot any differently, and suspect that in a (hopefully never occuring) moment of need, I surely won’t notice.

4 Likes

Generally no, I can’t tell/feel the difference.

5 Likes

Smart, finding similar grains, brand name if possible. Makes sense.

3 Likes

I don’t match brand, since I try to get deals for what I shoot at the range. However, I try to stay at the same grain weight, and always be sure to fire a few mags of my defensive ammo through the gun, to make sure it cycles properly.

5 Likes

Even the powder loads are similar between these two that I mentioned. There’s an old saying and I don’t remember where I heard it but it says something along the lines"shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot". It always makes sense to me to practice with something very similar in ballistics to what I am carrying. From time to time I will put a MAG or two of my carry ammo down range but it will get expensive if I did that all the time. I usually go through about a hundred rounds on a short range trip.

3 Likes

No. I range shoot with the cheapest I can find and spend more on carry ammo. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

When shooting 9mm, I practice with 124gr Winchester fmj and use 124gr +P Federal HST for defense. With 45acp, 230gr Winchester fmj and 230 Federal HST. 380acp, 95gr Winchester fmj and 90gr Federal hydra-shock.

6 Likes

I cycle all of my SD ammo every 3 months. I don’t do it as a week to week training, it’s just to expensive to do more frequently.

2 Likes

I can’t, no one makes a hollow point snap cap​:wink::grin:

3 Likes

YES.
I shoot 115gr regular loads.

I tried 124gr, 147gr and 65gr +P - didn’t find difference. Because of the price and same performance I’m staying with 115 for both - range and defense.

6 Likes

Typically what I do, with my EDC anyways, is empty the mag with the Gold Dots first, then go to “practice” ammo, usually FMJ. I can’t say that I notice any real difference in performance, they sound a little different but point of aim seems to stay pretty consistent.

4 Likes

I keep the exact same ammo for EDC. Hornady Critical Defense across the multiple .45 platforms that I use. Same with my Home Defense Rifle, and my HDC, except it’s not Hornady.

1 Like

I can feel the difference in the perceived recoil the hellcat between 115 grain and 147 grain. At self-defense ranges it’s not about point of impact imo. I think there is a benefit to me to the perceived recoil and sound of the round discharging being the same. If I was in a self-defense situation which I hope never to be I want everything to be as I trained as much as possible even though we actually event would probably be more fluid.

That said, with the inevitable variables that would most likely take place in that situation those things that I can control the consistency on through training I try and do.

Our typical range FMJ is 115 gr. Manufacturer may vary a little bit depending on pricing.
Yesterday found a great deal on 124 gr so sill see how that is for range.
For defensive we really like and stick to the Federal 147 HST.

For some reason, I find the 147 has less felt recoil and is easier to shoot.
If it was cheaper I would shoot the 147 HST full time but it is too pricey for us to do that.

3 Likes

You’re right

Because the heavier bullets have less recoil. That is how the physics works. It’s why nobody wants to shoot 125gr JHP/SJHP through their airweight .357 revolver. It’s why the soft .38spl training loads are 158gr.

It’s also why I like a hotter 115gr FMJ range ammo when carrying heavier ammo…because 147gr range am mo is generally the softest shooting, lowest recoil choice there is, and thus, the most different from defensive ammo…even different from 147gr defensive ammo as the defense stuff is loaded hotter than the range stuff.

It’s also why competitors going for the lowest recoil, easiest to shoot that still meets “power factor” or whatever, go with the heaviest bullet they can. Example 9mm | 147gr JHP | Elite Ammo | Specialty Cartridge

4 Likes

Life is all about variables, nothing ever stays the same.
I am perplexed about this question.
I train with 230 grain fmj .45 ACP but my SD rounds are 185 grain JHP’s and it does not bother me!

5 Likes

Try shooting a super light firearm with a heavy recoiling cartridge. Think 45-70 T/C Contender or a Ruger 454 Alaskan. Bullet weight/velocity and how much pressure you grip with has a substantial influence on point of impact.

1 Like