Do you ever deep clean?

We trust people… until we find they cheated :wink:

1 Like

I think it would depend less on the machine and more on the chemicals used. I’ve used ultrasonics for more years than I care to admit, on different metals and plastics. Any issues I’ve had have been minor and easily remedied, and it’s always had more to do with the composition and heat of the fluid rather than the sonics. I suppose it could do some odd things if someone cranked the power all the way up to 11, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you’re using a reputable gunsmith.

2 Likes

:+1:
If I’m able to do something properly, I do this. It probably sits in my nature. I’ve found too many people trying to do something faster and / or better… and failed to.

I think the trick here is to find a person who knows what he/she is doing… not pretends to know

1 Like

I trust Red River Range with all my heart !! :rofl:

Funny but true! I really do!

I trust them so much, I would let them shoot my favorite guns :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

That would be a function of the solvent, or lubricant, used. Not the fact that it is ultrasonic. At least that’s what I believe.

3 Likes

@Scoutbob If you want to use an air compressor you should make a spray box. Take a 24" square
cardboard box and cut a 12" hole in the front to work through. Line the inside of the box with several layers of paper towel, use tape op staples to hold down and place piece of plastic and 4 or 5 layers on the bottom, close the top and spray away. If its to dark wear a cap light of head lamp.
This keeps those nasty chemicals contained. I use glasses, gloves and a mask when I use it in my basement. :+1:

3 Likes

So I have become more comfortable doing a deep cleaning on the slide. I have not removed the extractor yet, that may be my next experiment.

For now, I think I may do what @bruce26 recommended with the lower and spraying it with bore cleaner and blowing it out with an air compressor a couple times. (I’m less worried about the lower failing compared to the upper).

I cleaned the Striker/ firing pin channel on my M&P 2.0 today. I found the same thing. It was relatively clean, and didn’t really need it, but some day down the road it would. My goal will be to do this every 1,000-2,000 rounds. (Which For me is 1-2 times a year or when I feel like it).

Here are some pics

4 Likes

Cleaning firing channel and striker every 2,000 rounds will be more for pleasure than necessity :wink:

Do not forget to take the striker apart for cleaning.

2 Likes

If you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, don’t do it.
Gunsmiths don’t charge as much for doing the job as they do for undoing a bubba-fied job.
Plus it’s embarrassing.

If your guns not broken there should be no reason to go beyond a field strip.

If your gun is broken and there is no gunsmith available at least get the correct manual (like the Kuhnhausen,) required tools and parts, and proceed with great caution. I’d recommend keeping a Saint Gabriel Possenti medallion handy. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Nice job brother

2 Likes

I invested into a sonic cleaner. I guess I am old school Marine and keep my weapon lubed and clean. Basic clean for turn in and deep clean after a good day of training after 500 to 1,000 rounds. That’s just me though! I feel comfortable with the sonic cleaner cleaning the internal parts. I have never had a problem.

5 Likes

I have and use a ultrasonic cleaner then I blow air through and in it and then I put it in a dryer for about 10 min and the oil it and assemble have not had any problems in doing that for years,the ultrasonic and dryer is part of what I use to clean my reloading brass along with a stainless steel bead tumbler

2 Likes

Let me ask (please forgive my lack of information about ultrasonic cleaners) - how the firearm is being cleaned? Stripped? What about lubrication after cleaning procedure?
I’m just curious if there would be any benefit for me to invest for machine to clean firearms (no reloading brass).

@Jerzees Ultra sonic cleaners use vibration in fluid to lift dirt, mung and gradoo out of places you can’t get to. It was originally designed for cleaning operating room instruments that got all bloody and there was no effective way to get to the box lock on a pair of hemostats. It may have been designed for something else but that is where I came across it some 30 years ago.

My biggest issue with ultrasonic cleaning is that it requires FLUID to work. I had one that a bud and I scavenged from an operating room that was upgrading / shutting down. We tried hot water, dawn dish detergent and more stuff than I care to mention on a public forum lest the EPA be watching. The end result was that we got the BEST results by using “Dry Cleaning Solvent” (I don’t think it is available for civilian purchase but your local machine shop has similar in it’s parts washer). It was the same results that we got after tossing said device into a 50 Cal ammo can full of it and letting it sit for a half hour. We $h!t canned the ultra sonic as a waste of time.

If I was totally taking a firearm down to component pieces I would have no issue with an ultrasonic cleaner. BUT if I am leaving some parts assembled, now I have an issue because depending on how the part is oriented there is no where for the gunk to go and conceptually it compresses it into the places we can’t reach.

I am not a big clean your gun if the wind blows or you shoot 100 rounds guy. I bring my stuff to the range grungy and I’m good with that as I have science and facts to back me up if I feel like having the argument. I clean my sticks to be functional, not edible. That said on occasion and once in a while it is nice to visit with and eyeball the buried parts if for no other reason than to make sure that you remember how to get there.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

It is for this reason I have q-tips in my cleaning kit. I remove the firing pin and spring, the extractor and spring (external extractor) or no spring for internal. Remove the grip panels, take apart the mags and using a flashlight, clean the rest.

1 Like

Another often forgotten cleaning tool are pipe cleaners. I mean pipes for smoking tobacco. They will go places even a Q Tip can’t go. There are little places in the AR platform that are easily reached with cheap, ordinary pipe cleaners. Another little trick the Army taught me.

3 Likes

Hey how do you learn to do that - I like that logic

2 Likes

I listened other shooters, watched YouTube videos, read books. Then I processed everything, found parts that were common and tested it.
That’s me… :slightly_smiling_face:. I love doing everything the best available way.

3 Likes

I just watch a you tube on how to disassemble by gun completely . Jersy not comfortable doing that - ■■■■ I am the guy who takes apart things and always end up with an extra screw or two

2 Likes

Don’t give up. I spent 2 days watching YouTube videos before my first disassembly. The slowest guy did it in 45 minutes… I spent 4 hours :slight_smile:
In few days of disassembly and assembly I learned how to do it in a timely manner. (no parts left :wink:)

2 Likes