Crass or Class Behavior?

All of which can be accomplished without the use of foul language. Strong language, using no uncertain terms, pitched in an aggressive tone and at sufficient volume can accomplish just as much, if not more.

2 Likes

Sometimes, but swear words are not so simple.

Research shows there’s a lot going on psychologically, even physiologically and neurologically when we curse. Anyone interested doing a quick search like “power in swear words” will get pages of results: “The Science in Curse Words,” “Why Swearing Makes You Stronger,” and “The Many Benefits of the Occasional Curse Word” to name just a few.

And since we’re talking about language, let’s all remember that words placed here are preserved for posterity forever, and are available to read by the public at large.

6 Likes

You are correct. I knew that before I ever read about, I have swore my way through a lot of physical pain. It does work. :+1:

7 Likes

As a thoughtful soul once quoted:“Profanity is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself.”

2 Likes

This thread has more legs than a centipede!

1 Like

I believe our Founding Fathers were Godly men. They were well educated and also realized that sometimes war is inevitable. We are losing our nation
but again as Samuel Adams said so long ago; "When a nation forgets it’s God, tyrants soon forge it’s chains." The first settlers to step foot on our shores were strong, God fearing people who kept His covenants. The second generation decided to keep only those that they felt like keeping. Sadly over time, with sinking cultures, ignoring the church, doing whatever “feels good” our culture has been degraded. Morals are almost non-existent. God’s most precious, unborn babies are being sacrificed on the Alter of Baal under the lie of “health”
 there is no respect for life. Our criminal justice system has been systematically weakened for years
by design.
Our “public” schools became indoctrination centers decades ago
recall the “shutdowns” the first targets were the churches. Our nation is being strangled by un-elected tyrants determined to destroy our liberty. But even our scripture says there is a time for war
 it may be very soon.

5 Likes

Completely wrong.

5 Likes

From an article in the Wall Street Journal, January 12, 2018:

Swearing has a power that other words lack. Consider the capacity of curse words to help us withstand pain. Researchers led by the psychologist Richard Stephens at Keele University in Staffordshire, England, have investigated this effect for years. They found that people can keep their hands submerged in ice water about 50% longer when they swear as compared with when they use a neutral word. Which words did the trick? Participants were asked to use the imprecations they would utter if they dropped a hammer on their thumb.

3 Likes

As another thoughtful soul once quoted: Opinions are like butt :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:s everyone has one and they all stink!!! :nose:

4 Likes

I agree completely. I mentioned in an earlier post that I do use foul language, but judiciously.

In particular, when trying to persuade others, even to the point of breaking their argument and proving your own to be superior, the impression you make matters. Valid or not, it is observable that the use of foul language or slang or low expressions can cause your argument to be perceived as needing the shock value and vehemence of cursing to cover up its weaknesses. It can also be seen as a sign of lesser intelligence, poor education, or low morals, Not fair, perhaps, but a common enough reaction.

That’s not to say certain curse words can’t be used to good effect. It all depends on which words you use. A well timed “damned” (in the sense of ‘condemned and lost beyond redemption’) can be very effective. Simply spewing out offensive phrases, even from emotional conviction, damages your argument rather than enhancing it.

English is a wonderfully broad and complex language, capable of expressing the subtlest nuances of meaning and the most delicate degree of feeling. Having spoken it all my life, I hope I can do better than spontaneous outbursts of profanity.

Unless I hit my thumb with a hammer or slip off the pedals and hit the crossbar of my bike. Then all bets are off. I might even puke for emphasis.

5 Likes

To each their own. Not everyone agrees with everyone else
the quote was spoken by someone else and I happen to agree. I also have the freedom to agree and not only not to use profanity but chose to not be around those who do when applicable. If you chose to use profanity that’s your decision
I stick by what I said. Most probably all use a curse once in a while
my feeling, and I’m entitled to that
is that those who can’t open their mouths without four letter words every other sentence are not those I (and a lot of folks I know) care to be around. On a public forum like this maybe I’m naive to think that people can actually be respectful
maybe that’s expecting to much.
If that offends someone then I suggest that someone look at themselves. So far I can think and believe what I chose in this country
not everyone on here feels the need to lace their comments with profanity.

1 Like

Point taken, but how is that relevant to a public forum attended by people from all over the nation? What you do in your own life doesn’t necessarily transmit to the rest of the community.

1 Like

Re: your “reply” I rest my case
 :roll_eyes:

Huh? I honestly have no idea what you’re even talking about now.

3 Likes

Well put.

2 Likes

I commend you all for the civil conversation here! While somewhat heated at times, you’ve kept it about the topic and not gone to personal attacks when people disagree with you.

Personally, I think that might be part of the issue our OP was referring to when he was referring to crass behavior. (Please correct me if I’m wrong in this thought, @Denis11)

We don’t all have to believe the same thing – whether it’s about the use of a four-letter word or religion. However, we do have to believe in the right that everyone has to have their opinion. And yes, @BRUCE26, we all may think some opinions stink – for instance, there could be some Minnesota Vikings fans here :wink: (I jest!) but that doesn’t mean we can or should attack someone for their opinion.

Keeping the conversation about the topic and ideas without personal attacks makes a better conversation – with or without foul language.

We do try to keep the foul language out of the Community to keep conversations from going off track or being misconstrued by people who don’t know each other in person.

Thanks for keeping the conversation productive!

8 Likes

Just “titt for tatt”. Nothing personal. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes

What’s a tatt?

3 Likes

:question:

6 Likes

This for That. Slang. :wink:

3 Likes