COVID19 making new gun ownership very difficult

I would check sites like gunbroker as mentioned above.

Here is a list of ranges with public access which you might be able to get to and try shooting your shotgun.

Finally, I understand your feeling about the barrel being too long. Pump shotgun barrels are easily changed and many come as combs with say a slug barrel and a field barrel. Try calling your local gun shop and see if they are able to order in just a barrel in the 18"-20" range ideally. That way you can shoot trap and skeet with your longer field barrel then change barrels to something a little more maneuverable in the house.

5 Likes

Welcome Bill and your experience isnā€™t unique. Many areas are facing a shortage of firearms and ammo. Thereā€™s an old saying, ā€œHaving a gun and not needing it is better than needing a gun and not having it.ā€

Unfortunately, your experience is a direct result from too many people being complacent. Most voters didnā€™t care or think about gun laws they were voting on because they werenā€™t impacted directly, until now. I have many people who are in the exact same boat who admitted they thought many of the gun control laws they voted for made sense because they could rely on Police to ā€œcome and save themā€. However now, with police under constant fire and many people quitting, calling police doesnā€™t mean someone is coming to help you and you need to take steps to protect yourself. Sadly, many of the laws that too many people voted for are now biting them in the rear as we see more and more people become first time buyers.

My advice, regularly check in with your local gun dealers and see whatā€™s available in your areas. Check to see if you can purchase guns online and have them shipped to your local dealer for background checks as a second option. Check local gun show schedules to see when the next one is near you. Finally, please stop allowing democrats to keep chipping away at our rights by voting against them and making it impossible to buy a firearm to protect yourself and your family when you want to.

Thereā€™s an analogy about our gun rights and a cake you might find sadly interesting. Iā€™ve included a reference hereā€¦please read and consider and share if youā€™d like:

3 Likes

Eric, Iā€™m afraid you made assumption .

Although, I never had a gun, I have always voted pro-second ammendment. I truly believe in what our founding fathers understood. The right to defend oneā€™s self and families is God given and should never be infringed upon by government, especially a government of the people and for the peopleā€¦

I just never chose to own a gun, as I never felt the need. As I said, Covid19 and the riots changed that equation.

Maybe the reality of a tyrannical King, made the founding fathers more keenly aware of the need.

It took an almost breakdown of society to break that illusion of safety, and motivate me to exercise that right I always voted to protect.

7 Likes

@BillA1120 I think you are doing a good job in a tough environment. A pump shotgun is an excellent choice for home defense. As someone else has already pointed out you can buy a shorter replacement barrel (just donā€™t hack saw the current one). Your choice of bird shot is good as well, it is expensive but available. Now for your reciprocity issue, you have a shotgun and I would bet you can buy a out of state hunting license and use your gun in another state at a range (your hunting, not concealed carry :wink: ) .

The main thing you want to get down at this point is handling the gun in a safe way and develop the habit of working the pump.

2 Likes

I just picked up some more slugs. Only one box per customer and there is only 5 shells in a box.

I also signed up for a class. When I purchased the shells, we talked about how hard it is to get ammo.

I mentioned wanting to shoot at a range, and their requirement for the shells. The gunshop clerk mentioned that there were recent deaths at that range.

I just called the range, and they said that they had some suicides there a few years ago, but no safety related deaths.

Canā€™t tell you how that unnerves a new gun owner.

3 Likes

Lots of great responsesā€¦the only item I can addā€¦move to Idaho, our daughters trap coach is the best instructor. We have our own range, moving target system, come and shoot with us!

4 Likes

I think this may be what theyā€™re talking about. Sounds like they intended to commit suicide together, but reason was not disclosed.

Nothing to do with range safety protocols. Just so happened that it was a public range and they could rent firearms there.

3 Likes

Jeez make sure you read the laws for your state. Your governor thinks heā€™s king. Gun laws, mask laws, canā€™t leave your state laws. Liberty Doll just moved out to sc but a lot of info about your state. Good luck

2 Likes

Times are certainly tough!
Perhaps a word with your local PD training officer might help finding an instructor, a range thatā€™s open, and maybe even a good used pistol.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you @Adamant.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Adamant, train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

2 Likes

First let me say Welcome Aboard!

Now let me get to the important part DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS OUT OF YOUR 28" BIRD BARREL!!!

There is a choke tube in the end of it and a slug will immediately solve your barrel too long problem as you will probably have to chop at least 6" off if you do. I used to see it every hunting season.

Now to finding someone to teach you how to shoot other than the normal means you will need to find a bunch of duck/geese/bird and or deer hunters, I know MA has them.

A quick search netted me this

https://www.gamebirdhunts.com/HuntingLocations/MassachusettsPheasantHunting/tabid/98/default.aspx

Iā€™m sure there are others. One thing you will find is most gun owners once you find them are very friendly and willing to help as much as they can, kinda like here :grinning: From there you can asses your needs and by actually having eyeballs on other like minded folk you will find avenues to other topics such as handguns and such, if your really lucky they may have one fore sale.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Yes I imagine things are VERY difficult for new gun owners in this time, itā€™s hard for us veterans too. If I may offer a suggestion, look up gun channels on YouTube. It might not be precisely what youā€™re looking for, but in the meantime, you can learn A LOT from watching them. Some channels are better then others. Absorb information, be entertained, then youā€™ll be ready to hit the ground running when Covid is gone and ammo starts coming back. I hope this helps, donā€™t underestimate the wealth of knowledge from gun YouTube channels, they set me up for success when I started getting into guns.

5 Likes

Well, I was able to get to the range, and man a 12 gauge is no joke. That thing has a kick.

Shot rifled slugs and 00 Buck per the indoor range rules. ( improved cyl. choke )

The Kent Deer slugs were spot on with my gun. Hit center target at 20 yards each time I used them.
The Winchester slugs were close, but a little high.
The 00 buck was didnt have too much spread at that distance.

As someone new to guns in general, the sound of the shotgun is terrifying .
The hand guns being used before and after my time on the range sounded like pops in comparison.

Overall, I found the experience more educational than enjoyable.

Shooting a 12 gauge takes more out of you physically than I expected. Iā€™m 6ā€™2 and close to 300lbs. It is like being in a heavy weight fight. Even being taught how to properly handle the recoil,. I really felt those slug shots at 1750 and 1600 fps. The buck shot was a relief.

I will need to shoot it more to really make a judgement on it, but I am certain that no matter what I put in that gun, at close range (10 yards) , it will stop anyone.

Now to try some skeet. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You donā€™t mention what kind of shotgun you use, no matter at 20 yds indoors thats loud. 2 3/4 s are rough, 3" or 3 1/2 oh boy. If recoil is an issue a semi-aauto hasd less

3 Likes

@BillA1120. If you think that 12g kicked hard, donā€™t try a lightweight single shot 12g. Light bird shot will feel like its taking your shoulder offā€¦

Probably impossible to find but I love my 12g VR80. Its a mag fed AR styled 12g with next to no recoil compared to a pump action.

You will get used to it. Growing up my brothers and I would go out shootings and easily shoot 100+ shells of 12g, few hundred pistol, and a 100+ mosin 7.62x54R (that had some kick with the steel butt plate).

It gets easier with practice.

3 Likes

I had mentioned the Winchester SXP black shadow earlier in the post.

4 Likes

Learn the Push-Pull technique for firing that shotgun. The technique is also called Bow and Arrow technique. Basically you are pushing the pump grip forward and exerting rearward pressure on the stock. Majority pressure on the pump grip. I can use that technique and have very little recoil into my shoulder. Thats with either #4 or 00 buck and an 18" barrel. That technique is taught to military and LE by top firearms trainers. My son ran classes for LE and Military and brought in the biggies. Thats where I learned it. If your right handed your left forearm is handling the majority of the recoil. Like a shock absorber.

6 Likes

That is exactly what they showed me. They also had me try it burying it in my shoulder to see the difference.

Big difference. Remember, I never shot a gun, let alone a shotgun. I didnā€™t know what to expect.

Iā€™m glad I did, the more practice, the better I will become with it.

5 Likes

A Trap range is a good place to learn shotgunning if the 'Rona hasnā€™t shut them down in your state.
Trap shooters are generally friendly and helpful to new shooters.
Bird shot is fine for practice. WalMart will likely be hit or miss for shells

1 Like