Convince me to get body armor

Impressive vehicle and price that is beyond my willingness to pay.

1 Like

@Dave17 Just waiting for the right lottery numbers. Same chance as seeing this national Charlie Foxtrot sort itself out.

2 Likes

How easy some have it! You know, the ones who think " body armor" is a deodorant, and canā€™t understand why cost is such an issue,- cause itā€™s " only like three bucks dude!"

1 Like

Thatā€™s true. And to reiterate, if you have the money for it, sure. Why not? But I think a lot of us are in the same boat, trying to figure out how to best spend the next dollar. For me, body armor just isnā€™t on that list. If I lived in an area of town where I felt the need to wear it, Iā€™d probably move.

Full disclosure: I have light armor in my trunk. Itā€™s not ā€œmine,ā€ it belongs to my workplace. But maybe itā€™s easier for me to say you donā€™t need it when I already have it. Still, if I were to encounter a bad situation off-duty, Iā€™m probably not going to pull it from my car and put it on. Iā€™m far more likely to hop in my car and drive away.

2 Likes

Its better for you to NOT be shot then. For you to shoot the bad guy. Body armor stops bullets. The only question is what are you trying to stop?

1 Like

Well, Iā€™d imagine if one was shot at it would be nice for armor to stop the bullet from entering ones lungs or heart.

2 Likes

What are you trying to stop 9mm 556 308

3 Likes

Iā€™m gonna hold off on body armor this year (bought a weapon light, and canā€™t go more than that right now). BUT this looks like a good deal.

1 Like

Gotcha, I totally misread your other post. For some reason I glanced at it and thought you meant I should choose to not get shot :rofl::man_facepalming:t2:. And not get body armor. I was thinkingā€¦ well duh, BUT I understand what you are saying and you are definitely correct.

Honestly, I donā€™t think Iā€™d buy body armor thatā€™s not rated for 556. If thereā€™s a situation I really need body armor, that seems to be the most practical. Iā€™ve seen a lot of home invasion vids where people bring out rifles. Some of these vests rated for pistol calibers are rated for pistol calibers coming out of a pistol, but they wonā€™t protect 9mm coming out of a rifle.

Sorry for misreading your post :sweat_smile: Body armor work not be a regular item for me. It would be an item kept in the closet and saved for any potential situation. It would be an item kept for when I am aware something bad is headed our way if that makes sense.

That being said, I am going to hold off this year.

2 Likes

I bought safe life soft body armor a few years ago it has sat in my closet since the day i bought it
I also bought some ar500 plates that stay in my truck.
The thing with body armor is you kinda have to be wearing it all the time to have it when you need it and who wants to walk around or work in body armor its not real practical

3 Likes

I have to slightly modify something I said earlier, that most people probably have no need for body armor. I was chatting with a friend today about some hard hit businesses in my town, and I couldnā€™t help but think that those folks can easily justify body armor. This year, they learned what itā€™s like to be at work, literally minding their business, when SHTF. Somewhere between ā€œeverythingā€™s fineā€ and ā€œabandon ship,ā€ thereā€™s a legitimate place where you defend your lifeā€™s work but you take precautions. I could totally understand why someone might want to buy and stage body armor at a place like that. And Iā€™m sure there are many situations just like that, which may not occur to me as I sit here, comfortably, in my living room and play on my phone.

Iā€™ll stick by my earlier statement that most people probably donā€™t need body armor, but certainly there are good reasons for having it available.

5 Likes

This would go with the idea of how many people will actually be faced with a home invasionā€¦ and of those, how many will be faced with armed invasion with 1 to 6 people?

Putting on body armor would provide some safety for you.

If 99% will never need armorā€¦ how many will never need their home defense gun or security system, yet we do expend money on those itemsā€¦

2 Likes

Not really

If you have it at home, and you face a home invasion, you put your armor on, grab your gun and magazine, and flashlight or whatever else you may decide to carry.

If you are attacked out in public, you defend until you obtain cover and then put on the armor.

There are viable reasons for having body armor.

Ummā€¦

That is actually a good idea also
:crazy_face:

1 Like

A much better RV?

4 Likes

Yeah, actually, thatā€™s exactly what it comes down to. We all have a limited amount of money, and only a certain percentage of that can be spent on self-defense, home defense, etc. I canā€™t tell any of you how to spend your money. Me personally, body armor is very low on my list. If I suddenly had some cash to spend on home defense, Iā€™d first look at deterrence before armor. Upgraded lighting, new cameras, better locksā€¦

1 Like

Body armor only makes sense to me if I think Iā€™m going to have time to prepare before entering a gun battle that may last more than a few seconds after the first weapon comes into play. I hate that so many answers to hypothetical scenarios on these boards lead to numerous replies with some version of ā€œyou shouldnā€™t be in that situation in the first placeā€, but I have to join them in this particular case.

I donā€™t feel like I have the skills to survive very long in a war like situation, even with body armor. If I have enough time to suit up in body armor ahead of a conflict, Iā€™m probably better off using that time to run, hide, or quickly make a ā€œDefund the Policeā€ sign, rather than engaging in actual combat.

Thatā€™s my answer for me. However, I wouldnā€™t discourage anyone from buying anything that they feel will make them safer.

Indeed.

Never said anyone must buy it, but if we only look at what we may or may not need based on such things as 99% of people will never need body armor, that sort of destroys the idea of ā€˜I have it if I need itā€™.

Yes, it is an expense most can not affordā€¦ and at this time, I think many of us are perhaps more concerned with purchasing ammo which is getting scarce.

2 Likes

Yet, we all hope to never be in the situation of a home invasion.

When someone invades your home, will you have time to arm up and put on body armor? In some cases yes, in others no.

1 Like

You should really only consider body armor if you canā€™t afford a trunk monkeyā€¦

3 Likes