Compass vs. GPS for your Bug Out Bag?

I used to Geocache with my kids when they were little. We LOVED our GPS. There are so many advantages to the GPS, fast, accurate, and easy to use (in most cases). However, it is an electronic device that needs batteries and satellites to work.

If things go sideways and we have to bug out, would you rather have a GPS or a Compass in your bug out bag?

• GPS with extra batteries
  • Compass with maps
  • Both

0 voters

How are your orienteering skills? When was the last time you navigated using a map and/or compass?

in 1980’s during scout camps - map & compass only :joy:
Now… it’s 21st century… GPS is my everyday tool…:+1:

Last time I used map (no compass) - 2005, trying to drive from Chicago’s north side to south… I saw straight line… the shortest on the map… and… I spent 3 hours in traffic :slight_smile :rofl:

I’m still ok with compass and map and I do not have problem using them to navigate.

2 Likes

GPS is great but not perfect. My Garmin maps are not always accurate for roadway travel nor does it contain topological information. I’d have to get a track/trail/hiker unit to be successful. BUT, it won’t help without batteries AND functional satellites. If I’d have to choose only one, it would be my compass and as many topological maps as I could acquire.

3 Likes

I guess I’m lucky of sorts. I was very well trained to navigate with a compass and grid coordinates. There’s no names of anything on a military map so all I would need would be a military compass and map to find my way.

3 Likes

I would love to learn about orienteering. I love to hike but usually with groups, so my lack of skill in this area isn’t a problem. But I’d like to learn. Where would I go for learning/skills development? Thanks

1 Like

@ThatSoccerDude,
Right now? I have no idea. I grew up in Eastern Europe, where all boys wanted to learn how to survive. My Parents sent me every year for a scout camp (once I attempted sailing camp - that was a piece of orientation learning stuff).
So that’s the way I learned all these…

2 Likes

United States Army Ranger School Sir
Maybe however you could track down an old Army Field Manual (FM) somewhere at a Military Surplus store or try going to the Internet to that site where you bid on merchandise. If I think of that name or any other outlets I will give you a shout.

3 Likes

A compass and an analog watch, preferably an automatic / mechanical. (Wind up). Preferably a dive watch, at least 100 meters if not 200 meters. You can use an analog watch as a basic compass.

As long as you know the cardinal directions, you can orient yourself and travel relatively well.

An analog is required as you need the hands to line up with the sun, and an automatic / mechanical versus a battery operated quartz watch is best as the battery may stop, or in the event of some EMP or solar activity, the automatic/mechanical will still be working. You must have the correct time.

2 Likes

FM 3-25.26 circa 2011 on Amazon

2 Likes

Sorry if this sounds rude, but it is not intended that way.

Google. Look for hiking and outdoors skills training. Survival schools, map reading classes. And you can even watch some youtube videos, though I would suggest checking more than one as I do not always trust them to be knowledgeable.

You might find you have some classes in your area.

3 Likes

Ok @Kevin29. Kevin Thank you , it’s been almost 50 years now since I had to think of that answer It was 1968 when I went into the Army

1 Like

Compass in my bag, road maps for everywhere between MI (work) and MO (home) in my truck… those would go with me if I had to hoof it.

I have Google maps on my phone, they don’t always work in Missouri… i joke about needing MPS (Missouri positioning system) because sometimes GPS will just take you in loops there.

Last time I used maps… um, 3 months ago? Last time for compass maybe 20 years… used to backpack all the time and used them on every trip. Never done just cross country orienteering though.

Need to get a wind up watch for the bag. :thinking:

2 Likes

Both would be my answer. If you know how to use them the GPS is a wonderful tool but eventually it’s batteries will die.

In the event of a serious problem such as meteor strikes, CME/massive solar storm, or EMP from any source you’ll probably lose satellite networks instantly rendering them expensive junk.

The compass will work in almost any situation and a person would do well to at least learn their cardinal directions without any navigational aids at all.

The sun rises in the east so if you put the rising sun on your right shoulder you’re facing north, extend your left arm and it’s pointing west, behind you is south.

Same with the north star. Find it and you can orient yourself from there.

2 Likes

@ThatSoccerDude check to see when your local or closest REI has a class. They offer a few different navigation classes for a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Maps are getting harder to find. That said they still make them, The coffee table size truckers map/books are still my favorite and there is one in each of my vehicles. The US Geological / Survey Dept also produces topographical maps of just about everywhere.

I have never been so lost as I was in 2009 going from VA Beach to Altoona, PA in my bud’s truck following the little red line and listening to “B!tch!ng Betty”. The only answer I had the whole trip to “Where are we?” was “Right here, going that way.” Pointing a finger to the ground then out the windshield. That was the last and only time I was totally dependent on electronics.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I always say you got to be smarter than the GPS. I made that trip yesterday, but started in Kitty Hawk and ended up along I80 in northern PA. I had to stop in Altoona to make a pit stop.

1 Like

I figure if it’s an event where we’re “bugging out” and there’s electricity, then my cell ph gps will suffice so it’s a compass for my bag (if it’s an event where electronics aren’t working, any ph/gps just became a paper weight).

I have a couple compasses in my bag with local maps as well as a map of the state. As I tell my boys in my Boy Scout Troop, don’t ever only rely on “technology” in an emergency situation…having it is fine, but don’t bet your life on it, make sure you have a backup (or two, or three) that doesn’t require technology AND that your competent/comfortable with.

1 Like

Hey Kevin. Not taken as rude. Thank You
Steve

1 Like

I can read a map and use a compass but love gps for normal travel. It’s tough to find printed maps today. I remember the good old days where you could pickup current MAPSCO books every couple years. And memorizing the FD map books by location and Box # along with hydrant locations. FD response was always more complex than PD response because of the extra stuff you needed to know.

2 Likes

yep, I used to buy a new Thomas Guide map book every year when I lived in CA… never seen one for the midwest.

2 Likes