Church Security Teams Communication Tools

There are numerous conversations throughout the Community about security teams for houses of worship. A lot of you are either on your church’s security team or know who is on them – and that’s awesome!

While we all train for the worst-case scenario, there are so many security issues a church may face during service. From a child getting hurt in Sunday school or wandering out of their area to an elderly parishioner having a medical emergency, security teams need to be able to communicate quickly and, in a lot of cases, quietly.

How does your church’s security team keep in communication without drawing attention away from the service?

Please note, while I refer to things that might not directly correspond to your faith’s house of worship (church, parishioners, and Sunday school), it’s not intended to exclude any other faith or religious organization. Just like when we talk about home defense everyone envisions their own homes, please envision your house of worship’s situation as we talk about this topic.

9 Likes

We text each other.
We also will put our right hand over our heart if we have texted and know one has replied or if there is something that needs attention.

7 Likes

We have radios and headsets - it allows us to speak softly and still be heard without drawing attention.

7 Likes

Our small church, average attendance 30 adults and 3 kids, doesn’t have an official security team.

I’m pretty much on my own and I know I’m not Rambo.

5 Likes

Texting for normal services. When we are having a special event, where we will be more spread out and immediate communication is paramount, we have radios with headsets.

1 Like

Our security team members use radios with ear pieces. We also text. Our church is large so we have a few guys that walk the interior during services.

3 Likes

You don’t have to have a armed security team, but it is a good idea and if you do have a team hopefully they are trained and are continuing the training.

Situation Awareness is your best advocate to prevent a church shooting. I would advice taking online course on Situation awarness and a course on psychology profile.

If you can identify the threat then you can deal with it before firearms are needed.

4 Likes

Our church security teams are a joke. No weapons allowed.

1 Like

Our church does not allow guns to be brought in

2 Likes

My church has communications like the secret service.

The ear pieces are almost not visible and they talk into sleeve microphone.

1 Like

Our security team is advanced. As should be, I don’t even know all the advances they made.

4 Likes

Our security is a real joke. The only one I trust is a retired Army Ranger in his 70s now. He mentors me in weapons and reloading. GO ARMY! HOOAH!

5 Likes

Most of ours are police officers, state police, or prior deputy sheriffs.

You wouldn’t even know 90% of the security team exists. Concealment is key.

9 Likes

I might have an opportunity to go to some church security training. Sounds like an interesting day. I have heard some of them are pretty hard core. My friend went to one, they were “clearing rooms” and both got “killed”. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hang on. This actually occurred?

1 Like

Sounds more like simunition training and his friend was considered “KIA” in the simulation. Live fire training in a kill house is done with simunitions or paint ball style weapons. I highly doubt there were fatalities. At least I am hopeful that is the case.

FWIW, simunitions hurt like crazy !

Stay safe out there.

4 Likes

I was killed in Germany in 1988.

Texting is distracting. Stay alert and vigilant.

1 Like

This is where we’re at.

4 Likes

Security riding Segways: Good luck with this one. We could think of no discernible difference between Church and Mall cops except that church cops are likely carrying a concealed weapon and are preparing to take you out if necessary.

-10 Easy Ways To Tell If You’re At A Shopping Mall Or A Church, The Babylon Bee

3 Likes