CCW Trip to the hospital in a ambulance

Ditto. And I always use my CCW instead of my DL as ID for FFL purchases.

7 Likes

My local LEO’s will take possession of the firearm unless a family member is on site with the ability to take possession. Both my children would be able to. Normally LEO’s will take the firearm to the station. Once out of the hospital, I would pick it up there. I know the firearm is legit since I purchased it from a County cop (awesome dude). They will do a serial # search!

6 Likes

I walk around a downtown area a lot, getting hit by a car, a train, a scooter, a bicycle is a very real possibility

I’ve actually thought about this, I’ve decided the answer would be:
Me, "Excuse me Ms. EMT would you ask that officer to come over here.
Me, “Officer I have a firearm at 4:30 it is condition zero”
The police have probably already seen my permit, it’s right behind my DL in a window in my wallet so it shouldn’t be too surprising to them.

6 Likes

There are no right answers here. I am a retired LEO after 38 yrs of service. I know my agency would have allowed me to secure it and the owner would be allowed to retrieve it without any difficulty. The only inconvenience the owner would have had was scheduling the pick up time when the property clerk was available. On the other hand I know an agency that demands you pay a fortune (filing fees, lost time at work, hearings etc.) to go to court. This agency mandates you file with the court for a writ of replevin if you want it back (if they take a firearm into their possession). Then and only then if you get a court order to return it, they make you get a background check (in this case it could take days+++) and make you wait and schedule an appointment to get it picked up. I do not have any advice but it makes you think. I think one option is to have one of those book sized lock box safes in your car and get some assistance locking it up and decide if the box stays locked to the car or if it is coming with you.

9 Likes

Good point, that we are not always in our car or own car when it happens. We can be on foot, less gear, less options. Not advice here. But if one does not get it secured in field by LEO, or if one chooses not to, once in the ER, I’ve thought about pocket carrying a soft bag in case I need to at least cover its identity for some subtlety.

5 Likes

Sounds like San Fran or New York; Either one would be practically impossible to retrieve. Have not heard of a major lawsuit yet to deal with these awful cities.

4 Likes

Cases/covers: When I first saw this, I was stunned. Innovative award? I can see lots of different scenarios for this one. Even comes with a lock, albeit not a strong one by any means, but a real lock. I’d kinda like it for when I’m driving. Was just as blown away on the wording of the description, just what the heck do they mean by

“Comes with a locking zipper to keep honest people honest a little longer”?

4 Likes

Thank You. A lot of great answers. I love Burdo’s Bible/Gun Case. Cliff2 gave us the insight in the process that follows turning a firearm into LEO since you are now retired a belated Thank You for keeping us all safe. Bjorn put a major wrench in my hypothecia question by saying what if you are unconscious? and Mike164 walking around downtown? I did not considered either one of these in my thought process. Definitely something to think about. BubbaBear917 said get a receipt and Business card is a great idea I trust LEO but they are only human so it would be good to keep it honest. Lastly BeanCounter I thought I was the only weird one as I have done the U-turn myself. No drivers license, No FOID card, No CCW permit and No lunch money. Thanks Again Everyone for the great answers.

4 Likes

Also bear in mind that the police officer is likely to run your name. In Illinois he will be informed that you have a valid CCL. At which point he will ask you if you are carrying. He will take possession and inventory it.

In the event you are unconscious etc. he will likely search for a weapon. He will inventory it and have a copy of the paperwork follow you to the hospital.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Aubrey2 and God bless you.

1 Like

I was in a wreck 2 years ago & broke my arm; I was on my way home from a day at the range. I managed to get out, open the back of the Jeep, and put my EDC in my range bag, knowing you can’t carry into a hospital. A few minutes later, the LEO in charge approached me for my license and insurance info. I handed him my license, insurance, and carry permit. He asked if I had firearms in the vehicle; I said, “Yes --but just 4.” (I think I was a bit in shock, strangely calm). He chuckled, took my range bag and gave me his card. “Come get them when you’re out of the ER.” He called me later, as a friend was rescuing me, and we drove to the station. He gave me my range bag, said, “Hope you feel better soon,” and gave me a hug.
This is a smallish Georgia town; your mileage might vary.

16 Likes

Welcome to the family @Claudia and you are in the right place at the right time. I’m glad you are ok and recovered.

2 Likes

I assure you, most hospitals will not allow the gun in, not even in a lock box. The responding LEO is the best choice as locking it in the car, which will be towed, is a bad option. If you are not able to inform, the medical crew will find it in their exam looking for all injuries. They will almost certainly call the attending LEO. I would ask for the officer’s card with the gun serial number written on it and who to call to retrieve it. There will be an official report available later.

4 Likes

Thank you so much.

Aubrey Brown Sr

2 Likes

Thank You I never thought about that!!! Im going to check my states laws and find out what my state requires.

3 Likes

Depends on state law but I would kindly inform them that I am licensed to carry a concealed firearm and I would inform them where my weapon is on my person. I would ask for a receipt and tell them I want my firearm returned to me when I am discharged.

4 Likes

On May30, 2020 while riding my motorcycle and carrying my Sig P365, a lady pulled out in front of me on a country road. I hit her broadside at 45-50 mph.

I was vaguely aware of laying in the middle of the highway injured badly. No thoughts at all of worrying about my gun.

The ambulance showed up and I can only remember them rolling me around, to get to my injuries etc and the VERY rough ambulance ride.

While in the hospital ER, a county sheriff deputy brought me my pistol and holster and said he was going to give it to my wife for safe keeping. I remember telling him “Thanks”.

I don’t know if it makes a difference or not but I live in a constitutional carry state and I have a CCW permit and this happened in a rural setting.

When an automobile or motorcycle accident happens and you are badly injured, you probably won’t be aware of stuff like telling law enforcement you’re armed etc. You may not even remember you were carrying. I didn’t. I was wiped out. In my case my right leg was broken. I had 5 broken ribs, a punctured right lung, a torn shoulder muscle and a shattered scapula and a caring and cooperative county sheriff deputy.

9 Likes

I have a cable lock box attached to my seat. If its bad enough that you are going by ambulance to the hospital then I would assume the vehicle is going to be towed. If you are unconcious then its a crap shoot and your out of the loop. If awake, I would secure it in the lockbox and surrender it to law enforcement making sure to get his card and if possible a receipt.

4 Likes

I agree 100%, but I have a story about our former pastor. We live in East Texas and went to Dallas for a vis it with his son, he had a blackout and crashed into a concrete barrier. He and his wife are both
CCW’s and the police took their guns into custody. They found out later that the officer’s boss had a check run on their guns Totally illegal since have permits. They consulted a lawyer and he told the wife to go pick up the guns, and smile until you get out of Dallas.

4 Likes

Happened to me once. I asked the LEO to secure my weapon and he secured it for me.

Fortunately, he was able to generate a receipt right from his cruiser.

3 Likes