Can you believe this

New York Post
New York Post
](https://nypost.com/)

Follow

Woman shot in butt after sliding into MRI machine with loaded firearm

Story by Alex Oliveira • 2h

Who said being confined in a loud, claustrophobic metal tube couldn’t be a blast?

An unidentified Wisconsin woman was left with an extra pair of holes in her butt after she took a loaded firearm into an MRI machine during a doctor’s visit back in June, Food and Drug Administration records show.

The 57-year-old had a handgun concealed on her person as she was slid into the MRI’s bore, but when the machine’s powerful magnets were engaged, the metal trigger tripped and the gun discharged.

“Patient received a gunshot wound in the right buttock area,” a Use of Device Problem report submitted by the woman’s insurance company to the FDA in July read.

“The patient was examined by a physician at the site who described the entry and exit holes as very small and superficial, only penetrating subcutaneous tissue.”

After getting shot in the butt, the woman was hospitalized and her wounds were treated. She went on to make a full recovery, the report noted.

It is unclear how the woman was able to bring a weapon into the MRI room. She underwent a routine screening for metal objects and said she had none on her before entering, the report noted.

Extremely powerful magnets used in MRI machines have been known to cause accidents to patients and hospital staff. Getty Images

MRIs — magnetic resonance imagining machines — use magnetic fields generated by extremely powerful magnets to create images of the inside of a human body. Their magnets are so powerful that patients are required to remove all metal from their bodies, and every item entering the machine rooms are carefully monitored to keep ordinary objects from becoming dangerous projectiles.

Despite precautions, accidents caused by MRI machines are far from unheard of.

As recently as October, a nurse at a San Francisco hospital suffered crushing injuries after she became trapped between an MRI and a hospital bed violently drawn into the machine.

In January, a Brazilian lawyer was killed at a São Paulo hospital after a handgun he was carrying in his waistband was ripped from his pants and discharged into his stomach.

10 Likes

That headline makes a great Saturday night live skit!
My original thought was this must be in the wrong place, it should be a meme. Like we all know, you can’t make this sh/t up!
This is probably the only time I don’t carry, MRI, PET, CAT or X-ray!
If it can’t see through me, I’m good to go.

8 Likes

:rofl: I know… I’m still laughing… :rofl:

6 Likes

Cabela’s probably told her it’s a plastic gun. :rofl:

8 Likes

This happens every now and then. Not the first report I’ve seen

Don’t mess around with anything metallic in an MRI. Listen to the staff! Have nothing go in unless they okay’d it explicitly!

8 Likes

When I go to dentist and I don’t take my gun off for x-ray. I did take it off for ultrasound because they told me to. If they don’t tell one how is one supposed to know¿
Thanks for the heads up @BRUCE26

1 Like

When you get an MRI, they definitely tell you about metal objects

10 Likes

The doctors are usually pretty good about instructing everyone not to have any metal objects on you in an MRI machine and all the machines I have seen had very obvious signs saying no metal objects allowed. The blurb stated this woman said she had no metal on her when asked.

Even if I had no clue how an MRI machine worked I think I would let the doctor know I am carrying a firearm before getting my body scanned. Wouldn’t want them to be surprised by an image of a gun. Maybe this woman had a Glock and believed all the anti self defense media’s false propaganda that they are impossible to detect since they are “made out of plastic”?

9 Likes

See! This is the problem with “ghost guns” :exclamation:

5 Likes

Maybe Albuquerque isn’t the stupidest place on EARTH after all? Hmmm?
EVERY time Cat scan or MRI I was told to disrobe and put on a gown or have an over sized tee shirt on.
I go into a small room and hang my street clothes up in a Locker and the Tech MUST hear the Clanging and Banging of the Mag’s, Firearm, wallet Chain etc.
They seem relieved when I come out in the Tee shirt.
I TRY not to do stupid S***.
If somebody tells me this could be dangerous (to yourself mostly)
Why the hell would I resist? I’m Not that attached to my Guns I can’t be without them for a few minutes… (did I just say that?) Maybe I need another ‘Cat’ scan? :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

6 Likes

We can only hope that this woman has not reproduced.

2 Likes

I used to build control panels for MRI machines many years ago. One of the biggest, and most powerful, machines at the time would accelerate a screwdriver at the velocity of a .45, 900+ ft/s! There’s a reason they ask if you have any metal objects on you or in your body.

9 Likes

"What if …uh…the Lady had…a Thing …down there…OUCH! That could leave a mark!’

adonde nosotros vamos uno nosotros ir todo!!!
Nessun passo sul serpente

1 Like

Sadly today its very possible for a “Lady” to have a “thing” down there!

4 Likes
4 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jackson Not THAT kind of thing!

I mean Metal workz---- like a ‘Lip clip’ or one of those 'Bolts etc etc…
THAT would SMART!
Her having a ‘Dangle’ while certainly possible (especially these days)
wouldn’t attract the MRI/Cat’s…Magnetism.

1 Like

To bad it didn’t go off like a trip mechanism once he pulled off the mask!!

2 Likes

Some guys have a “rod” piercing the head of their “Johnson”. Imagine that getting the old magnetic pull out of place, OUCH!

8 Likes

Would first have to imagine having anything like that there in the first place.

4 Likes

You’re killing me @Karacal :rofl:

4 Likes