Caliber Conversions

I understand the Glock 22 has the ability to switch between 40SW, 357 Sig and 9 MM by simply changing the barrel. Are there any other handguns that can do the same thing or is this a characteristic of the Glock 22?

3 Likes

Welcome Kevin139!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the family. I know there are others that you can do that with like the Sig P320.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community.

I know few other models which can shoot different calibers just swapping the barrel:

• Rock Island Armory 1911 9MM/22TCM
  • SIG P229
  • Smith & Wesson M&P

There are few manufactures who make “conversion kits” - but it comes with changing more than just barrel and mag.
(like P250, P320, CZ75 Kadet)

5 Likes

Y’all should do some research comparing pros and cons of 5.56 compared to 7.62. Overall it appears 5.56 is the best option.

2 Likes

Welcome Kevin139!
The Beretta APX platform comes in both 9mm and .40. Change the barrel and the magazine, and probably the recoil spring and you instantly change caliber. I’m not sure about the recoil spring, honestly, but I don’t see a spring calibrated for 9mm standing up to a .40 for very long, so I’d imagine you need that component as well.
Takes less than a minute though, and no tools are required.

5 Likes

Sig P226 can go between .40 and .357 with just a barrel swap.

4 Likes

I converted my G27 to 9mm. Just dropped in a barrel and got some new mags. Works great. My old hands and wallet are happy.

3 Likes

Revolvers baby!
Smith and Wesson 460 Magnum. Can shoot
460, 454 Casull, 45 Colt, and .45 Schofield. All without changing a thing.
Now, to your actual question. I’ve seen some 45 conversions to calibers like 45 Super, and 460 Rowland. Rock Island used to sell a combo 45/22 1911.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the 1911 conversion to .400 Cor-Bon! Just a swap of the barrel.

I have seen a Beretta 96 conversion to .357 Sig too.

6 Likes

Hey Kevin & Welcome!

There’s actually tons of interchangeable pistols but you probably weren’t talking about any .357 that can also shoot .38 or the .22 win mags that can also shoot .22.

I think HK was the first to come up with the interchangeable barrels back in 1934 with the HK4…but I’m a gun enthusiast not a historian.

Basically every manufacturer has had some version that they deem is “interchangeable” for the most part. Usually it requires you change anything from the barrel to the entire upper slide assembly.

It’s In interesting feature but one I try and keep from my wife because she’d tell me to stop buying new pistols and just buy the conversion kits instead which defeats the purpose of my new gun safe as it has SOOOO much more room. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Kevin, I have a Glock 23 which can have the barrels switched as well. Great option to have I think.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the responses. I’m definitely looking for a simple barrel change option vs having to buy a “kit” that looks expensive and I’d have to change other things. $100+ for a barrel beats $400 for a kit for sure.

Looks like HK, Sig 226 or Glock looks like my options.

4 Likes

I can tell you from hands on experience that having the same platform and training with a sub caliber round is deleterious to performance with the actual round to be used in a hostile situation. I was part of a focus group that was to see if a particular platform in a sub caliber (22 LR) could be used to provide more economical training. The answer was YES the sub caliber group had more consistent hits, smaller groups and saved big $$$$. That worked all the way up until they had to go down range and train with full size guns. It took them twice as long to get back to the level that the were prior to the test than it did for them to be competent on the sub caliber platform.

Run what you brung, shoot it, learn it, live it. Use sub caliber platform completely different from your EDC to tighten up front sight and trigger control. To this day I will shoot my Ruger MK-11 prior to shooting any of my big wheel guns to tune up my sight pictures. Semi auto’s … well I just shoot through them.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Depends on if you want an “assault” type weapon or a Battle Rifle. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Love this saying!

3 Likes

The Glock 23 Gen 4 can have switched barrels with the G32. The new 23 Gen 5 cannot switch barrels with the 32 due to changes in the barrel with the Gen 5.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Good point Craig6, in my case, I’m looking at .357 sig and 40SW as the calibers. My thought process is having the option of either if and when ammo would not be in supply.

2 Likes

I have two firearms that I have an extra barrel to chamber either .357 sig or .40. A Sig P226, and a Glock 22.

1 Like