Brandishing is not wise

I would like a definition of brandishing. I was told in my CCW class that uncovering your firearm so the other person could see it is brandishing. I won’t reach for mine unless my LIFE is in danger. If I pull it I will have the intent to use it.

2 Likes

I would like to refer you to this online source of information. Each State has it’s own definition or application of the word “brandish” when referring to a weapon.

In my State of Florida, this is what we have: (emphasis mine)

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. [775.082](Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine) or s. 775.083.

History.—s. 1, ch. 4532, 1897; GS 3272; RGS 5105; CGL 7207; s. 5, ch. 69-306; s. 743, ch. 71-136; s. 2, ch. 76-165; s. 174, ch. 91-224.

So, the original premise of this entire thread is not completely correct here in Florida. It may very well be “wise” to display my firearm in a case of necessary self defense. There are certain circumstances where a display of a firearm would deter a would be attacker from carrying out or continuing an attack that could result in death or great/grave bodily harm.

Stay safe out there and learn the law. You carry a firearm to make yourself hard to kill. Educate yourself to make yourself hard to convict.

4 Likes

This is the type of incident that gives responsible Concealed Carriers a bad name. But it was bound to happen, and will likely happen again. Remember the HUGE surges of gun sales during both the 0bama administration, and the current Brandon administration? Yeah, those people who are likely first-time gun owners may or may not have taken gun safety courses, or may or may not have paid attention during those classes. We are now seeing many of those irresponsible or reckless people doing what they do best; be stupid.

We all know that if you’re unholstering, it’s usually because lots of things have gone bad and it’s life or death for someone, or potentially many someones. Waving around a weapon can only make a not-so-good situation go straight to really bad. It opens the door to too many potential scenarios that go from bad to worse.

1 Like

You cannot educate psychos, nor gun owners who get their ideas from violent Hollywood actors and remain ignorant by choice. For everyone else, there are tons of training material.
Dont make threats, with gun/pepper spray, or words for that matter.

1 Like

It is also ironic how many Hollyweirdos who use guns, violence, and explosions in their movies, tend to be the loudest voices against firearms.

2 Likes

The Texas women that pulled a firearm on someone, is a living definition of Brandishing. Our basic
training with USCCA easily explains details and our safety education keeps us in detail and check in our daily walk, Conceal and Carry.

In our concealment of a firearm, CCW, some of us have had our firearms uncovered and seen by other people. Some of those people start running their mouths and gossiping to the world that we have loaded weapon and all we did was stretch our arms up to reach for a bag of potato chips off the shelves in a store or the wind blows our jacket open for the world to see. That is not Illegal Brandishing and accidents happen.

" Like your last statement made. "

1 Like

What state are you in?

I live in Mo.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/mo-gun-laws/

No definition of brandishing was found in Missouri law. However, a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly exhibits, in the presence of two or more people, any weapon capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner.

[§ 571.030(4) RSMo]

Once I put it on before going out. Don’t mess with it again unless I am trying to adjust my carry in some way. Always do that out of the sight of the public

1 Like

People need to remember what the term brandishing actually entails:

1. To shake or wave (something, such as a weapon) menacingly
  2. To exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Brandishing a firearm can be as subtle as lifting your shirt to reveal a handgun tucked in your waistline during the course of a verbal altercation with another person. It’s not just something blatant like pulling a firearm & pointing it at someone.

2 Likes

I agree with you totally and thank you for your (THE) true definition of BRANDISHING. Some of the
world condemns many people even for concealing or having any firearms. The Medias do not help
matters on any conflict, exploit and magnify problems of people using firearms to threaten, cause fear
and injure or kill others.

I was in a parking lot and the wind blew my shirt up high enough to show that I was carrying a
firearm, (Revolver) to another person. They saw it and they reported me to the police. Purely done
by accident, CCW, in training, and knowing well people here can be masters of gossips and stretch
the truth. Purely an accident and unintentional.

Explaining to any next-door neighbor would be unwise. People lie also.

Thank you.

1 Like

In a town not sure where, I read something about just the print of the firearm through clothing seen as that. :us:

1 Like

I certainly hope that isn’t the case.

Accidently showing a concealed firearm to someone or having it printing wouldn’t be considered “brandishing” since there’s no malicious/aggressive intent behind it.

3 Likes

Yes I agree also. Couldnt find the article, But I assume it was from one hyper left zones

Full agreement with you and everyone. I live in a very cozy area that the people love gossip and picks
out any trash on anyone. People think their education makes them the king or queen of the hills here in
this area. That legalism destroys People’s Lifes’ from the inside. This hardship destroys any confidence
and decays any friendship here; I have been here for over 22 years. People lies to make others think that they are in control and that they are invincible from all troubles. The human mouth can kill too.

The Brandishing Problem is an illegal act that is a deliberate act of taking a weapon including any firearm and being a threat to all or anyone to do bodily injury or kill. Waving a firearm around bragging to use it on anything can get you arrested for a long time.

I still do not know all or everything here and I have been carrying only for a short time. Just the printing of any firearm can cause FEAR in someone, and they will call the police on you.

USSCA Instructors will give you the instructions in Conceal Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals; some major reading and classes for all.

You are a great HELP !