Bit the bullet on reloading

I’m still using my Lee Classic 4 die turret press I bought as a kit 25+ years ago. I load 38 spcl, 357 mag, and 45ACP. I use the same recipes, tweaked from the original from the Lee book over and over again. I load for economic reasons.

1 Like

Primers are way too expensive.

3 Likes

What caliber(s) are you reloading? Which reload manuals do you have?

Good Luck, Plenty of help if needed.

Larry

1 Like

If I were to do this I’d have to have a gun and supplies to load with.

1 Like

Please take this advice from an old reloaded. Safety first:

  1. It is tempting but when reloading focus on reloading…no tv, no alcohol till done, no watching small ones while trying to reload at same time… Bad things happen.
  2. Store primers and powder as directed.
  3. I love reloading but it is not an easy or time saving hobby. But is cheaper, lots of fun, can make your weapon even more flexible and efficient.
  4. Primers hate water, oil, sweat…when priming don’t touch primers, wipe cases of any lubricant keep things clean…way fewer miss fires.

Just my old fart recommendations which ain’t always in the book. Be safe and have fun!!!

6 Likes

@Jerry1
Are you suggesting to not lube casings after cleaning it up?

1 Like

@KillJoy, oh no Sir. What I meant was after you lube and resize your brass, take a rag or paper towel and wipe the sizing lube off the brass before continuing. It’s a bit of a pain and an extra step but really helps to not contaminate primers. Sorry about the confusion :grimacing::grin: some who are new to reloading do not do this and with primers worth more than gold best to be extra careful. Have a great day!

3 Likes

I started reloading in September. I’m just reloading 9mm and run through about 5000-7500 on a normal year.

I decided I was not going to get into brass cleaning/processing at this time and will just send it out for that. Reason is, in addition to cleaning the brass, I wanted the primer pockets cleaned and swaged (in case I picked up any crimped brass) and then have them full length re-sized. Plus I don’t really have the room for all the extra equipment.

1 Like

@KillJoy If I may offer an opinion… wet tumbling brass is more of a PITA than it’s worth. I have a bud up on the eastern shore (Virginia) that went down this road and I stopped by his place and he was literally “cooking” his brass in the oven to dry it after tumbling (yes he is single). I have a Thumlers Tumbler Ultra Vibe 18 that I have been using for 25 years. This year mid pandemic my media was wasted and I needed new stuff. A quick trip around the internets for gun brass tumbling media netted me few options and all wanted stupid $$$ and shipping for media. Another search got me to “Lizard Litter” at Petco or PetSmart for $8.00 for 10 lbs of crushed English walnut shells. Throw 500 rounds of brass in and go to work in the morning, come home and it is all sparkly clean. Same same for lubed rifle cases but less time. For straight walled pistol brass and carbide dies there is no need to lube before resizing. For rifle brass, spray lube in a zip lock bag is your best friend just make sure you let the brass “off gas” for at least 5 min or you will get a stuck case.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Thanks. I bought a wet tumbler with stainless steel media already. I wonder if I could use crushed walnuts dry in the same tumbler.

1 Like

@KillJoy if it is a vibratory or rotary tumbler YES you can. I would advise the purchase of a “squirrel cage” type media separator tho. It just makes life too easy and after cranking the handle a couple extra times I RARELY have media in the flash holes.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I bought a “squirrel cage”. I have a casing dryer too. But my friend already showed me his setup and I watched a lot of videos. Some of this is like Ford vs Chevy. But I do appreciate your input.

1 Like

I’ve been “wet cleaning” (Hornady sonic) and live it. My brass gets a lot cleaner and shinier than my friends who do the (dry) media. I have a old dehydrator that I use to dry my brass. I lay it out in the dehydrator, set it to automatically shut off and don’t worry about it until I need it. Too easy !

1 Like

You guys have all the toys!

4 Likes

We’ve been … stimulated … shhhhh

2 Likes

Wish it was more, Daddy (me) needs a new 1911.

1 Like

Son, me’s bought a 1911.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to start reloading for a while.

2 Likes

I still can’t find primers. What’s the best way to find them

1 Like

Yeah, I am still looking for primers too. I have 3000 - 556 casings with no primers for them. I am getting low on large pistol primers too. I am doing good on the shotgun loads. I order bulk lead, tin, and copper and mold my own 00 and 000 buckshot. Everything else I order through Ballistic Products. I just need more room than I have in my war room, as well as, a bigger safe.

1 Like