Binoculars, which do you recommend?

I lost a pair of Vortex binoculars, don’t ask, if I knew the last place I saw them they wouldn’t be lost.

I’m looking at Vortex and Leupold. 10x40 or 10x52 ish. The price range, maybe $200-$300.

They have to have that di-optic thing where you can focus one eye more than the other, I think they all have that but I’m not sure.

What do you all have, love, hate, recommend?

1 Like
1 Like

I think maybe $899 would be a tad bit more than the $200-$300 range mentioned.

1 Like

@Fizbin–I highly recommend you go to your local Bass Pro or Cabelas and try them before you buy. My rule of thumb is try them until you can no longer tell a big difference in quality, then buy the cheaper pair. You can rule out a lot of low cost glass, and what I found is that the super high end stuff didn’t stand out above some of the middle of the road stuff. Make sure you find somewhere dark (ish) to do this–everything looks ok in bright light–they really start to make a difference in low light.
I did this and bought a pair of Redfields that I love–20 years ago. Since they were for bowhunting, they were 7x35 .
I am in your same boat–I need a pair for out west. My son just appropriated my Nikon. Grr. :slight_smile:
I noticed that Leupold makes a 10x42 for under $200, which totally blows my mind. I am used to paying $$$ for Leupolds (at least good Leupolds).

2 Likes

I have a set of armored Fujinon 7x50 binoculars that require NO focus. They are stupid bright and clear. Once you set the eye pieces for your correction you just look through them and everything is in focus. No dialing parallax out.

Found a pair on e-bay and I bet they have no idea what they are worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-Inc-Binoculars-7x50-Mil-Spec-Nitrogen-Gas-Filled-385ft-at-1000yds-140/373013411683?hash=item56d954f763:g:TCsAAOSwVPBei460

Go get em’

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

@Simjack wow, these look great and you must know what a sucker I am for high end toys! Any other time, with work closed for me right now, I’d be all over these! I know ATN as that is the same brand as the Thermal on my AR.

@Aaron25 I gotta order online. This is the peak week or two for the CV so we aren’t leaving the ranch. I’m leaning towards this.

The Crossfire that they sell is a little cheaper as it nitrogen filled vs. argon. Argon sounds more bad ass so I may go with those. $258 on Amazon.

@Craig6 I’ve only bought a few things on Ebay, I’ve sold more than I’ve bought.

1 Like

I have been pleased with my vortex red dot–my varmint scope is ok, but not great. Those binocs look pretty awesome. Good luck, brother!

1 Like

You have an ATN thermal , I am jealous. Those are awesome but pricey. I have two ATN 4k pros but my long gun range is closed because of the pandemic.

ATN has a Facebook site with loads of videos of people shooting wild boars and coyotes.

1 Like

It’s a great thermal. Just got in from hunting. Got 1 hog, 2 coons and 2 dillos. It was a good evening, super nice out too.

2 Likes

Aaron brings up the best point–try them all.

If you want a recommendation, I highly recommend nearly anything by Leica. Pricy? Of course, but I only wish I’d bought them decades earlier. The images are bright, clear, and focus is easy to use. I have several binoculars but I keep running back to the Leicas/Leitz.

1 Like

I Amazon’d these and good googly moogly, these are expensive! Yeah, they may be the best but didn’t see one close to my budget. If I were in that budget range I’d still probably go with @Simjack 's recommendation of those ATN’s with all the Luke Skywalker features with in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you do with those? I worry about contracting leprosy…

1 Like

Leprosy is just a myth. They are vulture food. Believe it or not, they smell worse than a hog.

I ended up getting a pair of Vortex Crossfire HD’s and a pair of Vortex Diamondback HD’s.
The Diamondback seems to perform a little better. The eye-cups are nicer and easier on the eyes with just a bit more relief.

Both pairs seem to beat the old Diamondback from 15 years ago they are replacing.

Also, the old diamondbacks, I had to rotate the diopter all the way on both of them and I still couldn’t get one eye completely in focus. So they have the lifetime unconditional guarantee, so i’m thinking of giving them a chat/call tomorrow and seeing if they want them back to adjust them.

2 Likes

Brother, not a myth.

I heard about this first from a nurse who knew of this happening.
Boars do stink–I heard javelinas are even worse. Have you shot them?

1 Like

Yipes! Well I don’t touch them, just the end of the shovel to make sure they end up in the middle of a field so vultures can see and eat them.

Javelinas have a hunting season, plus they are not in my area so no on hunting them. When we’ve visited Big Bend NP we’ve seen a bunch of them running around.

1 Like

Oops…I shot an armadillo in Oklahoma once years ago. We cooked it–sort of par-boiled it. Like greasy pork. Reminds me of the old joke, how many "(state your favorite)'ies does it take to eat an armadillo? Three. One to actually eat it, and two to watch for traffic.

2 Likes

@Edgy01 , I think I read some where that folks ate dillos during the great depression.

1 Like