Beginners Sniper / Long range rifle advice

I’m out of here.

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch, visited my favorite local gun shop and asked tons of questions and believe I’m going with a savage axis 223 bolt action and then have to get some help with a scope. I would want to shoot accurately beginning at 25yds, 50, 75 and 100. And I’ve access to 200 odd acres of wifes family homestead old cattle farm now they do hay fields on top of the mountains in West Virginia, they cleared acres upon acres when the men returned home from WWII, it’s stunningly awesome at night, no city lights or noise, stars oh my. Several family members sight their rifles up there and harvest deer so i could measure off yardage and plink. I love venison but couldn’t kill one unless a walking dead scenario was occurring, i hand feed a granny doe now bread but that’s only when im out of corn, i maintain 4-7 during the cold months, they know my call and will come running, but ive got pistols and a 40 Carbine, I’m wanting to get into, mechanics of wind temps etc but just on a smaller scale and I’ve got health issues so I think the Zen of concentrating on something other than pain would be cool. Im still going to read all the comments and go compare ammo sizes & prices, maybe I’ll find a good used rig in the future. Thanks to Everyone, y’all got some awesome knowledge

7 Likes

Oh and they had several 223’s in stock, polymer and wood, heavy and light a couple seemed longer barreled but i didn’t remember the brands, naked they were $600+. And i seen the 6.5 Creedmoor, their ammo was higher but they also had different types and weights and for different purposes i think. Had one of them 50 caliber B something for $9k my goodness it would take 2 to carry it. Lots of flooding going on so the store was just right for asking questions

2 Likes

I didn’t see it mentioned above, but have you considered the rimfires larger than 22 long rifle? 22 magnum or 17 hmr? They are cheaper than centerfire and shoot with less arc in the trajectory than ordinary 22LR.
Back to your 223. Pay attention to the twist rate of the barrel. The fast twist barrels will shoot anything. If you buy something with a 1:12 or 1:14” twist you will be limited to shooting lightweight projectiles. Personally I probably would not buy one with a slower twist than one turn in 9 or maybe ten at this point. 1:7 is what the military uses so if you bought a rifle with a 223 Wylde chamber or a 5.56 chamber you could shoot any military surplus ammunition you came across.

1 Like

This flat base bullet will work an any 223 rifle you find, but it’s not the most aerodynamic design.

This boattail bullet requires 1:10 or faster twist according to Sierra. It is easy to see it has a higher ballistic coefficient and won’t be pushed around by the wind as easily either.

2 Likes

can I make a suggestion?

1 Like

This guy has a pretty good channel on YouTube and attempts some pretty crazy long range shots with various rifles/loads, etc.

3 Likes

I use the 22 cal. 69 grain BTHP Sierra rounds on my 5,56.
I like the way it has performed.

2 Likes

Friend of mine loves his Ruger Precision in 22wmr…

I went with a Noreen ULR50, 50BMG for long range and general fun…

1 Like

I agree that .223 would be a cheaper way to get started. I use 6.5 Creedmoor for actual long-range shooting, but it’s a lot more per shot. I have an AR-15 upper with a 24" barrel for cheaper practice. You could try it and see how you like it with a cheaper setup than a high-end bolt gun.

4 Likes

@Jonathan132 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you. :us:

2 Likes

Add a range finger to your shooting gear.
Good luck.

4 Likes

And buy more range than what you think you will need.
Once you get out past 500yrds you’ll want to go twice as far.

3 Likes

I went ahead helped you out and filtered your search for the correct brand.

2 Likes

In all seriousness though Leica is the best rangefinder I’ve tried. Mine was $800 several years ago. Fifty cents per yard…
It is extremely consistent if you have something steady to brace it against. I can even range trees in moonlight!
I would say that the 1600 yard number is probably a minimum for it. I previously had a bushnell 550 or something. That number was a maximum under optimal conditions and I wound up giving it to a friend’s son for archery use.

2 Likes

I went with .22lr with a ruger precision, good results at 50yds, will move to 100yds before stepping out further.

Getting a 308 that I will zero at 200yds but with ammo at a buck a round, the .22lr is the prefered range gun…

4 Likes

So have you made a selection yet?

1 Like

Phew, things have been on the back burner for 3 months, got another dvt blood clot in my knee so im like Dr House from tv, in pain when awake and a cane operator full-time, then covid got me which is dangerous bc im already immunocomprimised so I’ve some hospital time and getting ready to start physical therapy. Like the 223 Axis Savage - the deluxe model but can’t recall it but it’s bookmarked lol, just pistol & revolver training, thanks for asking man :peace_symbol:

3 Likes