ATF 2022R-17 Commenting Open

6 Likes

Here’s a (losing) starting point for comments …

The 10th Amendment provides:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The power to regulate commerce in firearms is not a power delegated to the United States or the ATF by the Constitution. Thus, it is an issue reserved to the states or to the people. The ATF’s rulemaking in this matter is fundamentally unconstitutional.

It takes less than 5 minutes to submit a comment, but most people do not do so, or the ones that do submit offensive remarks thinking those are “comments” that the agency will take into account. In rulemakings, the agency proposing a rule must consider and respond to all salient comments. If it does not, then the rule can be returned to the agency by a reviewing court. Jurisdiction – or lack thereof – is an issue courts consider carefully.

3 Likes

Went there, started reading the 32,000 words of B.S. written to make absolutely certain that no regular citizen could ever understand what they were saying. Then they have a near impossible system for submitting comments.

2 Likes

Submitting comments is easy. Reading and understanding the bureaucratic gobbly-gook will make you crazy.

Step 1. Go to this web site:

Regulations.gov

Step 2. Click on the “Comment” button in the upper left corner

Step 3. Write your comments in the space provide or upload a document

Step 4. Provide your name, e-mail, contact info to receive updates from the ATF.

Step 5. You will then receive an e-mail from the ATF with your comment tracking #

2 Likes

Submitted a comment as anonymous. The more we voice our disfavour of this. The greater chance of a better outcome. Engaging the government is the least we can do. Activism comes in all forms.

3 Likes

OMG, I think I would rather play Russian Roulette than read all of that. I guess you have to pass the rule to find out what’s in the rule….

3 Likes

Why can’t the gubment etal, write something that is easy to understand and only a cpl pages long? Use footnotes when referring to other sections of law to ease the reading for the layman. It must be done on purpose.

3 Likes

At the end of the proposed rulemaking document, the ATF states “Commenters must also include the commenter’s complete first and last name and contact information.”

3 Likes

This way we can come visit you in the middle of the night breaking down your door.

3 Likes

Our tax dollars (or, more accurately, money printed by the government) at work.

Imagine how many government lawyers labored to produce this document. More lawyers will be engaged reading and responding to the public comments and crafting a final rule, which will almost certainly be appealed where more lawyers will write briefs, read the footnotes, and then write an order that a judge will sign. If the court sends the rule back to the ATF for further consideration, it all starts over.

Now imagine spending an entire career producing such documents. I suppose this was part of the swamp that remains undrained.

3 Likes

No worse than the CCW permit you applied for.

1 Like

Oh yes it was; attend class, take pictures of cert and my ugly mug and send in check with same. 2 or 3 weeks later I got an email/letter to come pick it up.

This leave your comment is on a whole nother level of deviltry.

1 Like

I commented. I was as polite and professional as possible. Gun laws will not stop criminals, go after the criminals instead of trying to make a Fast & Furious 2.0.

Note: let me be clear, I WAS NOT at J6, I AM NOT suicidal, and I WILL NEVER resist arrest!

6 Likes