Ask an Instructor: What's your biggest training question?

A tactical reload with an AR mag seats well when loaded only to 29, assuming a 30 rnd mag. In my experience this platform is rarely shot to a lockback requiring an emergency reload.

3 Likes

Looking to change silhouette targets. What target do you use. I’m thinking of going to this.

1 Like

14 Likes

Mike, I don’t think I could use that target if I want to continue shooting :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

That’s close to what I use–I save pizza boxes and make a crude outline on them.

1 Like

Brother, that is the BEST!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I end up with a lot of you suck and an occasional leave the range.

1 Like

With the M-14 on mag change the new mag was slapped hard against the steel pot to get all the rounds to the back of the Mag,if you didnt you would have a jam

1 Like

With the advent of common and easily attained Body armor are the instructors still teaching to fire center mass,I was just wondering since I am now going throat ceter head,what are your thoughts on that?

1 Like

On every training I’ve attended the Instructor told to remember about Mozambique Drill - if your attacker has Body Armor and center mass shots don’t work then head shot is fully justified.
Throat center may work, however is way smaller than torso.
In some situations Zipper Drill can help… if you put 4 bullets in attacker, at least 2 will hit outside his Body Armor.

1 Like

Well,when I train or shooting at the range I practice groin ,throat and center head shots,also use bad target with hostage with head shot. I also use on demand lasers on all my weapons both long and hand weapons,my carry weapon is a 45 and all my hand weapons the lasers are zeroed in for 50 yards,where the laser shines the round is on the money thanks for responding

1 Like

Good question–instructors generally teach the given curriculum, and everything from both NRA and USCCA still focus on center mass.
That said, we run an ‘intermediate’ level drill in the CCW class that works on improving speed, accuracy and incorporates mag changes. In that drill, we do the ‘2 to the body, one to the high center mass target’ drill.
We have targets that are a silhouette with two 4 inch circles next to the head on 18x24 paper.
We start the drill (5 yards) from high ready with two shots to the body, return to high ready, scan/assess and then call either right/center/left for a shot, return to high ready, scan/assess.
The shooters are intermediates–many have shot before regularly, so often a lot of bad habits re: muzzle direction when loading/changing mags, finger outside the trigger, etc. But very few are able to score a hit on the top targets.
It’s a good opportunity to teach the ‘aim small, miss small’ truth.

1 Like

I live in the northern part of Central Ohio (Lewis Center). I have been asking my local range if they are ever going to offer and classes past the bench line where we can move freely from target to target. I’m swiftly responded to with a quick liability concern and that they can’t take the risk. I understand that from their perspective.

Does anyone know of any ranges near central Ohio where this is offered? I’ve only seen some of the bigger multi-day classes (Carry Trainer, Warrior Poet, etc) that have these which are expensive.

It would also be nice to have some maneuver style training (buildings, structures, barrels, etc).

I am looking for something in addition to the traditional stand at the line range training.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Last time I checked Ohio still had some fair sized farms in the central area. Might be worth looking into. My 1 mile range is on an active farm and other than harvest or planting season I can use it whenever. Use the Boy Scout Rule of “Leave it better than you found it” and you may have a range for life.

For pistol/carbine you can do an awful lot of dynamic training on an elevated dirt road with fields on both sides. Election season is coming so target frames (vote for me signs) are easy to find. Barriers are by nature bulky but with a couple folding camp chairs / tables and some big cardboard you can get creative for cheap that are portable/collapsible. They are also handy for lunch :upside_down_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Thanks Craig, yes there’s some farms for sure. That’s a great idea. I’ll have to look I to options there.

Access to a 1 mile range would be awesome :+1:

Thanks for the reply

1 Like

The Bullet Ranch in Pataskala offers a Friday night tactical league, giving you the opportunity to shoot a mock IDPA range. check them out online–they have videos of the different courses they’ve set up.
I think right now it’s every other week.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll check that out. Thanks @Aaron25

Update: @Aaron25 I just looked up the Bullet Ranch and it looks fantastic. I’ll have to sign up for some upcoming events. (I wish I knew about that place when I lived in Pickerington)

Thanks again for the suggestion :+1:

4 Likes

Hi Zavier_D
Keeping both eyes open gives you more peripheral vision. I know it can be distracting (I am cross dominant) but teaching your brain to line up the sights using your dominant eye while keeping your non dominant eye open is a very useful skill.
Another useful skill is learning to reload without taking your eyes off the target.

Stay safe pal

1 Like

Do you know anyone with a ranch or farm, or at minimum some land?
That would be great as you can setup your own training course.

I’d recommend against just going to a farmers land unannounced.

2 Likes

Focus on the target. Keep your firearm parallel and in line with your sight. It’s how you will most likely shoot in a self-defense situation.

Check out these topics, @Jonathan46 - they should have some good information for you.

Yes, but no. Depends on the distance and the shooter. A further shot will require more accuracy which usually means closing one eye. A close shot requires less accuracy and both eyes open is good for that. :slight_smile: or :wink: depending on the distance.

4 Likes