Ask an Instructor: What's your biggest training question?

Don’t I remember training in the Army to slap (hit it hard) the bottom of the magazine after inserting it into the weapon? If not I do not know where I learned it but it is a bit of a habit for me.

3 Likes

I guess my question is. What to focus on when you are trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open?

I’ve been trying different things and I am about at the point where I am just going to point shoot when necessary and when finer aim is needed I will just accept the the temporary loss of SA.

The reason is, I’m a good point and shooter out to 10 yards, I am better than average when aiming. But the keeping both eyes open is starting to affect my confidence, sort of I just can’t place my shots as accurately

4 Likes

@DBrogue SLAP-PULL-OBSERVE-RELEASE-TAP-SQUEEZE. SPORTS. I still remember it to this day
Maybe you were thinking of the Muzzleloader Days? :rofl:

3 Likes

@Zavier_D Focus on the target, impose your slightly out of focus front sight onto the target while looking through your out of focus rear sight. It took me several years to figure this out but I finally
learned hunting grouse with a shotgun and one day it clicked. :wink:

4 Likes

What is the best way to overcome eye dominance problems? I am right handed, but my left eye is my dominant eye. So when I ADS, I always have to turn my head to the right so that my left eye is looking down the sights. What is the best way to make my right eye as good as the left so it is easier to aim?

1 Like

Welcome, Jonathan–we just discussed this–look in New sights differeent grouping

2 Likes

@Jonathan46 Try to learn to shoot with both eyes open as described above. :wink:

1 Like

This weekend we had 25 people from 3 of our church campuses completing annual firearms qualifications. As we were shooting, a deer starts walking by the creek down range. Of course someone had to ask, can we shoot the deer? Instructors immediate answer, it’s not deer season here.
All 25 shooters met their qualifications which far exceed the Kentucky standard for law enforcement officers. Training included head shots from 1-15 yards with a hostage.

The lesson was to know your capabilities. Almost anyone could make the shot at 1-2 yards but you better be damn good under stress at 15 yards if you are going to make the shot.

8 Likes

A tactical reload with an AR mag seats well when loaded only to 29, assuming a 30 rnd mag. In my experience this platform is rarely shot to a lockback requiring an emergency reload.

3 Likes

Looking to change silhouette targets. What target do you use. I’m thinking of going to this.

1 Like

14 Likes

Mike, I don’t think I could use that target if I want to continue shooting :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

That’s close to what I use–I save pizza boxes and make a crude outline on them.

1 Like

Brother, that is the BEST!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I end up with a lot of you suck and an occasional leave the range.

1 Like

With the M-14 on mag change the new mag was slapped hard against the steel pot to get all the rounds to the back of the Mag,if you didnt you would have a jam

1 Like

With the advent of common and easily attained Body armor are the instructors still teaching to fire center mass,I was just wondering since I am now going throat ceter head,what are your thoughts on that?

1 Like

On every training I’ve attended the Instructor told to remember about Mozambique Drill - if your attacker has Body Armor and center mass shots don’t work then head shot is fully justified.
Throat center may work, however is way smaller than torso.
In some situations Zipper Drill can help… if you put 4 bullets in attacker, at least 2 will hit outside his Body Armor.

1 Like

Well,when I train or shooting at the range I practice groin ,throat and center head shots,also use bad target with hostage with head shot. I also use on demand lasers on all my weapons both long and hand weapons,my carry weapon is a 45 and all my hand weapons the lasers are zeroed in for 50 yards,where the laser shines the round is on the money thanks for responding

1 Like

Good question–instructors generally teach the given curriculum, and everything from both NRA and USCCA still focus on center mass.
That said, we run an ‘intermediate’ level drill in the CCW class that works on improving speed, accuracy and incorporates mag changes. In that drill, we do the ‘2 to the body, one to the high center mass target’ drill.
We have targets that are a silhouette with two 4 inch circles next to the head on 18x24 paper.
We start the drill (5 yards) from high ready with two shots to the body, return to high ready, scan/assess and then call either right/center/left for a shot, return to high ready, scan/assess.
The shooters are intermediates–many have shot before regularly, so often a lot of bad habits re: muzzle direction when loading/changing mags, finger outside the trigger, etc. But very few are able to score a hit on the top targets.
It’s a good opportunity to teach the ‘aim small, miss small’ truth.

1 Like