Ar Pistol upper from 7.5 to 10.5

So I want to change out the length of my AR pistol I want to buy just the barrel 10.5 or possibly 12.5 I know 12.5 would be better but my question is this can I buy just the upper can I use the bolt carrier and the charging handle that came with the 7.5 AR pistol put them in the new say 10.5 and everything would be good? Same caliber 556 NATO 223 the only thing that’s changing is the length of the barrel… I keep hearing something about mil-spec and I bought my gun in 2021 so it’s way more moderate. Anyways should I take it into a gun store and gun store and show them the part and show them what I want to change it to? Or can I just change it.

2 Likes

What gun, precisely, do you have now?

You can buy it and change it yourself.

It would be a good idea to check the headspace but I have yet to encounter one that was out of spec.

1 Like

It should close on the “go” gauge and it should not close on the “no go” gauge.

1 Like

I have a AR pistol 7.5 I forget it’s not in front of me but it’s like a something tactical my name umm :thinking: but I guess you want to go too if I can use the same bolt carrier and charge handle for this new barrel? I think it’s all just generic firearm it only cost like 600 bucks

2 Likes

BCG and CH will be the same. Gas will be different, possibly wanting a buffer weight change, or using an adjustable gas block. Gas tube will most likely be going from pistol to carbine length.
Mil-spec is short for “miltary specification”. Mil has a spec for everything it seems, from toilet paper to ICBM’s, well, every little piece that created an ICBM anyways, followed by how that missile is packed and shipped . Generally with firearms it involves various quality procedures from material procurement to mfg process to NDT (non destructive testing eg, x-ray, flourescent penetrant, mag particle, high pressure etc…) to serialization of parts to shipping paperwork. Not everything I listed may be included, but just showing what mil-spec is.

3 Likes

They will all interchange. Mil spec is mil spec. It’s not something proprietary in the photos you posted.

The cost of those headspace gauges are close to the cost of a bolt carrier group.

This is a complete upper with a bolt carrier group with correct headspace ready to go.

I think what you are calling a new barrel is a complete assembled upper without the charging handle and bolt carrier group.

You can just change the barrel in the upper assembly you have now, but most likely you will need a longer gas tube and a roll pin as well.

1 Like

I am so confused lol here’s some pictures for contacts but I just don’t plan on getting the upper with the bolt carrier and the charging handle I want to know if I can swap out the one in the AR pistol. It’s 556 NATO… Ect

Unless I am missing something, you should be able to switch your charging handle and bolt carrier group into your new upper and switch it out. It really should not be a problem. Enjoy!

If you have issues with how it runs, let us know. We have tons of smart and experienced people in our Community.

2 Likes

Thank you for the simple answer I am going to just go to my local gun store and double check everything to make sure it’ll connect together properly but I didn’t think it was too complicated…

2 Likes

Roger that sir. It should go very well.

1 Like

With some Wheeler tools and some tutorials you can more than likely do it yourself. Nothing to it. Enjoy!!

1 Like