A trip to the range offers a reminder why I don't open carry

I do wish open carry was more palatable to the public at large, I would carry my 1911, have a back up, and be done with it. That and good .357 would be all I felt the need for. There is a lot to be said for being able to train with only one.

5 Likes

I swap between the two of them, my secondary is the RUGER SR9.

5 Likes

So, your suggestion is to reject a portion of the right, to perhaps win over people who years later may or may not discover you were conceal carrying and were respectful?

Why not be respectful while open carrying?

6 Likes

Iā€™m not saying that we should legally surrender the right to open carry. All I am saying is that sometimes it seems like the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (RKBA) community seems like a football team who thinks the only two plays are up the middle and long bomb pass. I think we could rush for a lot of legal mileage with more end runs, so to speak.

5 Likes

A valid point of view and opinion. I can see some merit. I will still pose a question.

Would you also rush for a lot of legal mileage with more end runsā€¦ for Free Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Movement, Due Process.

Just an observation. I generally err on the side of the Constitution, firmly and may not see some more suitable means of dealing with any who may seek to weaken it.

5 Likes

With respect my friend, to error on the side of the Constitution is not to error, sir.

7 Likes

The constitution has been under attack a lot, both the first and second amendments most assuredly are under attack. I can see both sides on this, BUT, Iā€™m a constitutionalists. It may not be popular these days and lord knows they arenā€™t teaching the constitution in schools anymore (correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but they didnā€™t with my 2 half brothers who are over a decade younger) or not teaching it properly.

The point is this, they attack our constitutional rights, burn our history to make it theirs, claim more gun control is for our kids while supporting the murder of babies, try to shove THEIR views down our throats whilst totally ignoring EVERYTHING that weā€™re saying AND expect us to bend over and say Aaaaaaa while they ram us dry.

9 Likes

Iā€™m 5ā€™6" I got you beat in the hobbit category. Waitā€¦ is that winning? or losing? :thinking: :rofl:

8 Likes

Lmao, ok, ok, you ā€œwinā€ā€¦ wait were both hobbitsā€¦:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

5ā€™6" and 175. Concealing larger sidearms is an obvious issue for me too. My Sig P365 is a problem solver in that regard.
By Hobbit standards, we are all quite tall. Lol

7 Likes

Lmao, brother we need to build a stronghold for all of us hobbits.

6 Likes

Iā€™m too tall to qualify as a hobbit, but, picture if you will Mr. stick figure trying to conceal a 1911. Then imagine a hot day. ā€” My EDC may not be a 1911, but with some considerable effort, it is still a .45

5 Likes

Good times, good timesā€¦ yeah, us slimmer folks donā€™t have enough mass to try to hide much. Unless you try to do it like prison inmates hide things. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

The first rule of concealed carry is you NEVER let anyone know youā€™re carrying. Think about it. If the guy next to you knows youā€™re carrying, youā€™re no longer carrying concealed.

5 Likes

I was once told by a firearms instructor that if you were legally carrying concealed and your weapon was spotted, you could be charged with disturbing the peace!

5 Likes

There are places that if your concealed carry is exposed there could be repercussions if someone reports it.

I prefer concealed as I donā€™t need any added attention. As a female hobbit (to use @Virgil_H and @Brian_Jā€™s description of height), I donā€™t want anyone thinking Iā€™m an easy target with or without a gun. I donā€™t need anyone to know that Iā€™m also a black belt and can defend myself multiple ways.

I stay under the radar as much as possible.

12 Likes

I can only imagine dawn using martial arts on someone, the whole time her theme song playing in the background ā€œEVERYBODY WAS KUNG FO FIGHTINGā€¦ THOSE CATS WERE FAST AS LIGHTNINGā€ā€¦ Sorry dawn had to do itā€¦:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

I guess I am the De-Facto king of the hobbits then since I stand only 5 foot even. Still lean at 120 lbs. LOL. Oh by the way, I open carry, always have and always will. Very difficult ( not impossible) to conceal at that size so I open carry. I have never had an issue I couldnā€™t deal with politely with a bit of education and open mindedness

7 Likes

What state do you reside?

5 Likes

Great State of Missouri

5 Likes