9mm defensive ammo choices

Yeah I have been shopping different online sellers seeing who tends to have stock the most.

1 Like

I usually browse ammoseek.com daily. Sometimes multiple times a day. I’ve been known to leave more than one tab open with pre set ammo criteria searches on each tab. (I.e. 9mm Luger, 124gr / 5.56 NATO, 62 grain). I just refresh it every time I open the tab. Always looking for a good deal.

3 Likes

Good idea, and I will add ammoseek to my list.

2 Likes

I’m with Greg in terms of letting the gun decide between your top choices. I was leaning towards Hornady, but my G43 just did not like it. I was getting FTF issues every other mag. I think the shorter length was causing FTF issues. Ended up using HST which all my guns seem to like.

4 Likes

I’m down with the idea. Although so far I have only had the change to shoot the Sigs through my Sheild and my XDS. They worked fine. Additionally I have shot Winchester white box, Remington umc, and some quality reloads in FMJ (all 115 gr) through both with no issues. I am waiting for a chance to run some Blazers 124 gr next time to the range. Hopefully before I go I can get my hands on some HST or Gold Dots. Hornaday critical defense are available off and on so I may try them too.

3 Likes

I have both Hornaday Critical Defense and Federal Premium HST, both in 124 gr. I have no preference in which weapon it goes in, but I have the HST’s loaded in the Mag’s for both my EDC PPQ SC and Home Defense weapon, VP9. I’ve add no issues with the initial rounds I put through them and seem quite accurate at 5-7 yrds.

2 Likes

My EDC is a Ruger LC9s & I use Hornady 115gr critical defense.
My Full size 9mm I use is the Ruger American Pro & I use Winchester 127 gr Ranger T-Series +P+
The smaller gun is easier to get back on target with the lighter load & not built like a tank as the full sized 9 is.

1 Like

I think Target Sports USA has some Gold Dots avialable in 9mm. Just saw some yesterday morning.

1 Like

https://miwallcorp.com/speer-ammunition-9mm-124-grain-gold-dot-jacketed-hollow-point-1050-rounds-case/

Found some gold dot for ya

2 Likes

Most important factor: Will it cycle in your firearm 100% of the time? While nuances in expansion, ballistics, etc are important, they aren’t THE most important factor.

For me, in 9mm Luger, that round is the Hornaday Critical Defense, 115 gr. My EDC’s have a 3.1" and 3.25" barrels. While expensive, I’ve cycled 200+ rounds through both of my EDC’s to make sure they’ll reliably cycle. I have had similar good results with Remington 115gr HTP.

I’m a simple guy. My standard: Will gun go “bang” every time? Can I deliver rounds center-of-mass?

1 Like

Johnny, have you had good results with the Sig Sauer? They don’t feed well in either of my weapons.

1 Like

I have shot these for the first time Sig Sauer 9mm NATO 124gr +P V-crown M17 JHP
Military Grade. They work well and went through a box of 20. $20.00 per box.

1 Like

I carry the sig p365 and use 115gr sig vcrown. I figure if sig designed it for their guns it should work well. good comparison reviews as well.

1 Like

Ditto. Same ammo in my Ruger LC9s for same reasons

1 Like