.40 S&W for every day carry?

Would you recommend a pistol in caliber .40 S&W for every day carry?

2 Likes

Used to be good enough for FBI and LE.

5 Likes

If you shoot it well, determined by concealed carry DGU relevant drills done for score on a timer, absolutely, go for it.

The 180gr Federal HST looks particularly good IMO

4 Likes

Bigger holes than 9mm. More ammo than .45. The big questions are, are you accurate with it, will you practice with it, and will you carry it.

7 Likes

How is availability and $ point of range ammo in .40? Wallet is a factor.

5 Likes

Bingo!

My son used to carry a subcompact Glock in 40S&W. Recoil was brutal but he used to always say he would never notice recoil if he ever needed it. Over time he realized he hated training with it so much he replaced it with a P320 in 9mm and doesn’t mind training with the 9mm at all.

We both still have full size 40S&W. I sometimes carry mine on a trip in the winter because it is easier to conceal with more clothes and I appreciate the 14+1 capacity.

That’s my 2 cents…

7 Likes

FMJ for 0.50 to 0.69, SD for 0.90 to 1.54. Good availability on. :us:

6 Likes

Glock 27, 22 23, Sig Sauer P320 (Several Applications) Full or Compact, and Springfield XDM 3.8 " all .40 S.W.

Respectfully they must be able to fit your hands and they take practice, much.

2 Likes

I would recommend it, on the condition that you are comfortable training with it and carrying it. I see a lot of people make the mistake of holding a gun and thinking that it is a perfect fit for their EDC. Once they shoot it, they realize that it is not something they want to train with often. Some even realize that they are not willing to adjust their wardrobe for concealment. Just be sure that you are comfortable with the way it feels when shooting it so that you will be willing to train with it often.

5 Likes

Even a 380 ACP can qualify as undesirable to train with if it bucks and bites every time you fire it. If you’re not ready to lock your wrist and practice with it, a Walther PPK can mess you up.

2 Likes

I agree with others here, you must be willing to train with the firearm, constantly.

2 Likes

I carry the Taurus PT40 which is one of my many EDC and it has not let me down yet. Very little recoil and with practice it be dead on.

4 Likes

Not quite as low of price as Ammo.com, but BassPro/Cabelas has started shipping to address again on a limited selection of ammo. Remington 40S&W is currently available @$29.99 for a box of 50. Shipping is free if order exceeds $50. They also impose a 5 box limit.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to include the link Remington UMC Centerfire Handgun Ammo | Bass Pro Shops

4 Likes

I did carry a 40s&w cal. Smith & Wesson M&P compact for a short time and sold it. It is a decent round. I liked it and carried it often for that short time. I shot well with it and was very accurate with it. It was also easy to conceal. I prefer the 9mm but I would recommend it. Honestly it is personal choice or preference. It’s not an easy caliber to come by nowadays.

5 Likes

I’d carry it. I think 9mm is more practical though. Nothing wrong with a .40. 40 is a really good round. I would say if 9mm is an option, that’s what I would recommend.

What’s interesting is 40 ammo was cheaper at the store yesterday.

5 Likes