3 is too many

100%. There is a significant amount of “security” that happens solely for optics. That is, we do it to make people feel safe.

There is something to be said for feeling safe. And there is something to be said for presenting a certain way. But I’ll take actual safety over optics any day.

In my state concealed carry is allowed at private schools but not public schools. The state tried to pass a law a few years back banning CCW at private schools. This would make armed security guards the only possible solution at private schools. (Private schools can’t get an SRO.)

My question for the legislature was: which is better, some high school graduate with a security guard license or a teacher with a bachelors or masters who has shown evidence of their concern for these kids by working here?

I’ll take a properly trained teacher any day over a security guard that simply looks like he’s providing security and couldn’t care less about the kids he’s supposedly guarding.

8 Likes

I would trust the security at DOE facilities.

You know what?! I watch or read the news with pretty good frequency. Probably more so than I should. I only do so because I need to know what’s going on in the world around me and other places. But I don’t recall hearing this on the news. It obviously didn’t get much airtime. Or I was probably sleep. I dunno. I certainly have not heard from any political pundits on this matter. How come we can’t hear about how many times a would-be mass miscreant was stopped? Why isn’t this heralded in the political chambers? Isn’t Fair supposed to be fair? How about the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

When you read the aftermaths of most all that has gone on as it pertains, the vetted statistics never match up to what’s been or is being overblown in the news reports, and blogosphere. That’s also why it’s hard to pontificate on any one topic because of incomplete or misleading information that is spouted or parroted by anyone that gets a mic stuck in their faces, and situational ethics takes place or instigation continues. JMHO, which I will try to do better at keeping to myself … later. You’ll pray for me, won’t you?

2 Likes

Unfortunately I do not believe watching the news lets you know what’s going in the world around you. In fact, I think it might do the opposite, and lead you to believe what is going on around you is quite different from what it really is.

8 Likes

But one thing is consistent, somethings’ going on. The caution is, don’t become so scope-locked on any of it that you miss the quarterback sneak.

6 Likes