Would the Founding Fathers Have Banned “Assault Weapons”? | The Armory Life

Look all weapons can be classified as assault weapons so the politicians will start with the AR’s and move into other weapons. They want you defenseless so they can tell you how to live and the only ones that will benefit is the people in power. There are plenty countries in this world as an example and even more in history. What makes America unique is freedom and that liberty stands because of 2A. Admiral Yamamoto WWII said invading USA mainland is a suicide cause their is a gun behind every door. Do people desire to loose that kind of power?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Air Rifle. A very quiet, semi-automatic, smokeless, repeatable rifle capable of accurate fire to over 100 yards. In it’s day in age very close to the modern sporting rifle of today. Jefferson owned two of them. Sounds like the Founders would have no problem with so called “Assault Rifles”.

3 Likes

I just finished reading that article and all I can think of was what in the ever-living duck was Congress thinking? They had a golden opportunity and wasted it. smh

1 Like

No such a this as an assault weapon or an assault car or an assault knife they are just weapons

2 Likes

Batmobile. Case closed.

2 Likes

Interesting article, but I think this article misses some important context about America’s nation building era and the development of our weapons industry therein.

After the revolution, the fledgling federal government quickly realized that it needed a better source of weaponry. Sustaining the new republic would require a homegrown weapons industry that would ensure a consistent and steady supply of weapons for our nation’s defenses.

To accomplish this, the Springfield and Harpers Ferry federal armories were built in 1794 and 1799 respectively. More importantly (and more relevantly to this discussion), they became hotbeds of technological advancement for weapons development. In fact, the “American system of manufacturing” — which grew out of these armories — became the envy of the world. We now call that “mass production.”

The armories weren’t just concerned with begin able to mass-produce, though … they were also actively looking to develop better technologies. Examples of this include the M1819 Hall Rifle with a pivoting breech, which helped speed up reloading. The M1 Garand was another example of the federal armories’ ability to develop world-class weapons.

My point? The federal government knew that superior armament was necessary, and they actively sought to build and procure the best weapons in the world. If semiautomatic technology had been around in the early 19th century, I have absolutely no doubt that the federal armories would have been cranking out semiautomatics as quickly as they could.

Of course, it’s impossible to know what someone that lived 250 years ago would have thought about something that would never exist in their lifetime … but if the early republic’s investment in arms development and manufacture is any indication, I think it’s safe to say that they would bought “assault weapons” for their armies as enthusiastically as the general public has been buying them for the past 70 years.

Mike

1 Like