What would you do: Broken down on a side road?

It’s been a wonderful Christmas Eve at the In-Laws, it’s late and you’re on your way home with the family. You’re taking the back roads, it’s the way you always take home because it’s less busy and you know the route well. The kids are asleep in their car seats and your spouse is almost asleep in the passenger seat.

You hear and feel the back tire hit something and go flat. After pulling to the side of the road and checking out the tire, you check under the back of the car where your full-size spare should be. It’s not there. It’s already replaced the driver’s side rear tire and you haven’t replaced it.

You’re at least 20 min from home and 10 min by car from any sort of gas station. There are farmhouses speckled along the rest of your route home. But that’s no big deal, you have your cell phone. You’ll call an uber for the family and come back with a tire in the morning.

But you’re in the cell phone dead zone.

What do you do?

While this isn’t an imminent danger situation, it is one we may run into. We will need to be prepared to make sure our family is safe and we can get home safely.

5 Likes

I drive slowly to the closest farmhouse. Since I’m 20 minutes from home, they know me or my family. I will let the insurance buy me a wheel if I tear it up. I use their phone, to call my dad with his truck and trailer. We haul the car home. Get a tire tomorrow on the other wheel tomorrow.

5 Likes

To quote Charlie Daniels “I limped on down the road on the rim.”

That being said ALL my cars have a tire plug kit and a can of “Fix a flat” so being an off roader I know that I can fix a 2" gash in the side wall (or tread) of a tire with plugs and do the foam fill thing and get on down the road. It may take me two hours to get home but I can limp on down the road just fine. Even in a catastrophic tire failure as long as I don’t wreck the car I can go a long way even on the “new” aluminum rims just rolling along.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Never drive without a spare, check the air in the spare when you gas up to leave…

Uber?

Uber Firearms Prohibition Policy

Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That’s why Uber prohibits riders and their guests, as well as driver and delivery partners, from carrying firearms of any kind while using our app*

Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber.

*To the extent permitted by applicable law."

Nope.

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Did you tuck your hair under your hat when you got there?

4 Likes

At 52 and in comparison to my compatriots I am PROUD to be able to tuck my hair hair up under my hat and ask the bartender for change for a WUUUNN! :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Firstly, I would look up to the heavens and tell my grandpa sorry for not following his example and installing a CB radio. Next, I would do as stated above…drive real slow until a rest station. Next, I would call “AAA” to either tow it home or bring a tire. I’m thinking the first option is all they could do.

I did have to learn the hard way when my Jeep Cherokee came with a tire patch kit and the cheapest air compressor in the whole entire world and it went flat.

2 Likes

My car didn’t come with a spare. Instead it came with slime and a compressor. First, I’d I’d see if it could be plugged and, if so, plug it. I keep a kit in my trunk. If not, it’s time to visit a neighbor!

2 Likes

I would push the OnStar button.

3 Likes

I do not think the OnStar button will work if you are in the cellular dead zone?

2 Likes

@MikeBKY From HowStuffWorks…

“OnStar’s cellular service has a better range than most cell phones, with a full three watts instead of a regular cell phone’s 0.6 watts.”

I have used it before when I had no cell signal. I am sure it doesn’t work everywhere though. But it beats a cell phone.
And the GPS for directions/maps is far superior to Google Maps, etc.

3 Likes

I used to have OnStar active in my car including cellphone service. At the time, OnStar used Verizon and my cell phone was ATT. Between the two carriers, there were not many dead spots. Until I went to eastern Kentucky. That was no mans land. All you could hear were the banjos from “Deliverance!”

5 Likes

Has anyone tried one of these boosters to possibly overcome the cell phone dead zones?

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/vehicle/cars-and-trucks