What is the outdoor range etiquette for a loaded concealed carry handgun to be used on the firing line?

That seems pretty standard, which is why I pay $400 / year for the range I go to. I can do basically whatever I want in the bay I choose.

2 Likes

Wow,75 a year for the family plan hereā€¦lol

3 Likes

Yeah nothing in Vegas is cheap. But the freedom to train however I want is worth it to me rather than pay $20 a session to have all kinds of restrictions and being unable to do anything with movement.

3 Likes

Every range is supposed to have published rules for that range. The only injuries I am aware of at the range I worked at occurred while drawing a loaded gun from a holster.

2 Likes

I generally avoid formal ranges because of all the limitations. The one outdoor range I very rarely go to allows showing up with a loaded holstered weapon. But they donā€™t allow drawing and shooting on the firing line so Iā€™m not sure how that transition is supposed to work. I just make sure whatever I plan to shoot is unloaded before I pull in the parking area.

1 Like

All ranges are different and you must follow whatever rules they make you follow or risk being ejected.

When I run my DSF classes I use the these rules.

Unless youā€™re actively shooting the gun remains holstered. All administrative gun functions (loading, unloading, drawing and holstering) can only be done at the firing line. When you holster the gun at the firing line (regardless of condition) to leave the line the gun remains holstered until you return to the line. At the end of the class we clear all guns, visually inspect and verify empty ALL guns and put away our gear. As an alternative you can holster a hot gun and leave with your gun in the holster. All magazines get loaded or topped off at the loading table at the same time where I can see all folks.

While running drills, if you draw your gun the muzzle has to be pointed from holster to ground in front of you (Low Ready) down range or down range to targets at all times. All drawing motions or holsters that do not allow you to do so are not allowed, period. So no crossdraw holsters, no SOB, actually no carry behind 3:00 (donā€™t know anyone who does the FBI thing anymore anyway) or shoulder rigs allowed. When holstering you MUST look-your-gun back into the holster EVERY time.

Many years of classes, ZERO accidents and everyone gets treated like the adult they are.

5 Likes

Group,

Wondering if we need to clarify and define what we mean by location or ā€œbenchā€: Because some ranges have tables and benches all over the place. Some in the back or off to the side, for placing your jacket, bag, personal belongings.

When I think of range bench, Iā€™m referring to the booth from your specific single lane/booth, where you load, shoot, lay your firearm down pointed toward your range target. I hope I got the lingo down correct. Please correct me. Apologies.

Is OK to - once you reach the bench: Slowly draw out your ā€œloadedā€ CCW EDC from your holster, lay it on your front/forward facing bench, but all the time pointed down range as though pointed at your target position?

My theory was that oneā€™s car or the parking lot is worst place to lock & load.

Iā€™ve read signs and literature from ranges that all arms must be unloaded and inside range bags, but lacked comment on our EDC CCW.

Gratitude. :nerd_face:

1 Like

This :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

3 Likes

The range I favor allows this, itā€™s the same as if unloading you firearm from your range bag

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming no one is allowed in front of the bench down range then.

In advanced groups/classes it is most usual to have folks walking around in front of the bench to the berm(s) so that doesnā€™t work. Itā€™s also usual to have berms so you can shoot in multiple directions.

I donā€™t police where folks are, only where they perform the most dangerous tasks which again are the admin tasks of load, unload (clear), draw and holster. So all of those happen on the firing line facing a berm or not at all. You can then carry in your hand or holster your open unloaded gun back to the loading/gear bench and pack it away. Anyone I see clearing or loading a gun at the bench is gone for good.

1 Like

Something we should see more of ^

Iā€™ve been to classes that did the exact opposite. AIWB striker users included. Blows my mind.

3 Likes

Sorry, this is an indoor range. Out door, no one is allowed infront of the bench until all firearms are clear, action open

3 Likes

And why I built one in my backyard. I take a bench out to be next to me to reload magazines on and for my timer. I can draw and shoot, walk sideways while shooting, sit down, kneel or whatever I want to practice. Best of all, Iā€™m on my schedule not theirs. I can go out in the cool of the morning, heat of the afternoon or close to dark when I want. I love it.

3 Likes