What is a threat?

I like that line.
Pair it with “better to stand before 12 than to be carried by 6.”
Somewhere between those two, that’s the chalk line we’re trying to balance.

3 Likes

First, let’s not forget, free speech is protected so there’s that.
My son and I were walking in down town Salt Lake late one night, we crossed Main Street behind the only other person in sight. He stopped 5 feet in front of us, turned around and yelled “I ducking hate you, I’m going to kill your ducking asses”. We blew him off, told him to move on and went on our way. My son, a pro fighter asked that exact same question, “Why couldn’t we just trash that guy right there?”. I think johnnyq60 said the best. There just wasn’t enough of a reason to neutralize him.

5 Likes

Ok in 2017 I was granted a special pension connected to A&A for congested heart failure I kept pushing the issue that my gorlins syndrome was aggravated by my service and should be getting disability. I have substantial evidence and kept sending to them.
Okay and since I have a friend that’s retired VSO I ask him could they go 8 years and not know about it, he said no way possible because not only does once a year all government amounts are linked up and Jan. of each year each government department gets letter showing what new amounts are with COL adjustment. So now did they only not cut my pension over 1900 in April they just took all my pension for 4 years to pay back what was approved for me to get that’s why I feel like I’m being bullied and trying to make me homeless

2 Likes

Verbal?
If my mom’s one of the jurors, it’s a hard sell.

5 Likes

Based solely on that information, almost certainly not.

BTW: The title isn’t asking the same question, at all, as the post body. A “threat” alone doesn’t justify using deadly force.

It is entirely possible, if not likely, that what you described is a threat, but is not an imminent deadly threat nor is it putting you at reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily harm/death

As Mas has put it: Ability, Opportunity, Actual Jeopardy

6 Likes

Another way of looking at it:

Is going to prison for 10+ years a better outcome than what you think will happen if you don’t draw your gun?

5 Likes

Do you have a reasonable, and articulable fear of imminent Grave Bodily Harm and/or Death? Remembering that your freedom and life will be in the hands of 12 people who are going to hear your case.

Personally, it’s going to be something I wouldn’t do. Words are just words.

5 Likes

Those 12 better be picked as in my Peers
A person who has equal standing with another or others, as in rank, class, or age
Emphasis on Age

2 Likes

You may be disappointed if you are expecting the jury to all or even mostly be your age

7 Likes

Very good question, for the legal team. Me personally I would be at highest DEFCON level at the minimum.

3 Likes

There are fewer and fewer people my age every year.

6 Likes

It really depends on locality and mindset of the public and the LE. This is a well known case from FL, aggressor was unarmed and shot dead, and no charges to the defender:

A small retail store owner asked my friend’s Dad and another guy, in his early 20s, to help out, all family. A man came in and my friend’s Dad was killed, the other kid was shot in the head and left on life support for weeks, they didn’t know if he would wake up, or they had to disconnect him. He did wake up, but brain damage from a bullet doesn’t heal ever.
I don’t know all the circumstances, other than this was a robbery, I don’t know if they were armed and had a fighting chance. When you face a choice between laying in the grave, being a vegetable on life-support, or doing time for manslaughter - choose wisely.

5 Likes

Your son might have made a great example of him, or he might have gone to prison. You made a good call.

I’m reminded of Bruce Lee’s story. He was always challenged in the street by people who wanted to prove how tough they were. He avoided them any time he could, because he didn’t know who they were. As fast as he was, he couldn’t dodge a bullet.

He taught his students the same thing. Avoid a fight whenever possible. If you must fight, poke them in the eyes so they can’t see you, then run away. There’s no such thing as a clean street fight.

8 Likes

If a reasonable person in the same position would assume that they were in imminent threat of death or severe bodily harm to themselves or others then you may be justified in responding with deadly force. The problem is you will then be subject to a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking by LEOs, prosecutors and potentially a jury.

Most threats are all bluff and bluster with no imminent intent behind them unless the situation is escalated. The problem is being able to read the situation to tell those rare cases when the threat is imminent and unavoidable. I have had my life threatened on several occasions and have always been able to walk or talk my way out of them without using or threatening to use violence. Avoiding unnecessary violence usually requires not being attached to your own ego and providing the threatener with a way out that allows them to save face, especially if they have friends watching.

5 Likes

As the real attorneys say, check your local listings!

4 Likes

Most trained fighters are actually afraid of the prospect of a street fight, for exactly the reason you stated. What do they know? What do they have? Are they trained or just crazy? That’s where cardio training comes into the picture, we can run farther and faster than they can.

6 Likes

I really like that Sheriff down in Polk County. This is not the first time he has done media on self defense.

6 Likes

Polk County Sheriff.

Really like him

4 Likes

You gonna like him even more

4 Likes

I bet the guy that got shot, will have a chance to get in touch with his feminine side.

Probably saved the state $$ if he decides (after he gets in touch with his feminine side) to get Gender Reassignment
Surgery.

Could probably get an endorsement from the Company that manufactures the round.

I can see the ad campaign.

“Making men into Eunuchs since 2022”

6 Likes