Tips for a first timer

What are some good tips for a person trying out for the first time and was purchased one for the first timer

2 Likes

I would highly suggest working with an instructor or someone well versed in firearms the first time anyone shoots a gun. If you’ve shot before and are trying new firearms, I highly suggest renting before you buy. Some ranges won’t allow you to rent a firearm if you’re alone.

Here are a couple of threads that might help. If you have questions that aren’t answered there, just let us know and I’m sure we can give you some awesome tips!

4 Likes

Look at it like an investment, invest the time and money into an instructor and learn the basics. We all had to crawl before we ran.

I went from crawling to running know going back and learning to walk. I wish I’d just slowed down and took the time to make the fundamentals rock solid.

2 Likes

William,
please start with someone who knows their way around guns. Second, research and shoot a lot of different guns before you buy. Third (actually second)–start with a small caliber gun to learn the fundamentals (sight picture, trigger control)–you’ll shoot better and it will be less expensive for ammunition.
Is it for you? Where are you located?

2 Likes

Thanks I did purchase a Taurus g2c 9mm in Oct. Getting pretty good with that one, and I live in Virginia Hampton roads area

1 Like

I would look up the network of instructors locally and see if any would be willing to coach. I’ll bet you’ll get some takers.
After shooting for 40 years (darn I’m getting old), I still learn something when the instructors get together and coach each other.
There is a great deal of value in having someone else’s eyes on your form.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice

1 Like

@William228 I’m in the 757, where do you shoot?

Cheers,

Craig6

I been to the one in Virginia beach once with a friend. I can’t remember the name. I’m in Suffolk

@William228 in general I don’t shoot at the indoor ranges. There is Bob’s in Norfolk (Un supervised and Un safe IMHO), Freedom on Wichduck and the BLVD., Superior on the BLVD West of Independence and the Superior behind the TGI Fridays at Lynhaven mall. The one in your case that I would go to is C2 out in Pungo, Its a bit of a haul from Suffolk but a friend of mine works there and can give you good assistance if it’s not too busy (go on a week day if you can). Ask for Mike and tell him “Doc from US Optics” sent you. He’ll hook you up. I don’t go there because the owner and I have serious issues, but Mike will take care of you.

That said there is one in Chesapeake that I haven’t been to in years that may work for you Norfolk County Rifle Club It’s just off the Military Highway exit on 64 West.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like