The Aftermath: Ex-Girlfriend Stages Home Invasion

Well my 200 lb male Great Pyrenees would not let them close to the house for one, the two female greats in the sheep pasture would be sounding off as well, if they happened to get past the outside dogs the ones in the house with puppies would go on full defense mode. Besides, there is no where for someone to hide from sight by our front door, too many windows.

2 Likes

Well to be honest about it, I have only had a few blind dates my cousin got me back in the 60ā€™s. The Only girl I asked out on a date, is now my wife of almost 37 years. So no exā€™s to contend with. Also, at 11:30PM no door of my house will be opened for anyone. Like most have already stated, I would have my handgun with me. If, 12 9mm hollow points donā€™t stop a person, I would use my backup, a 30/30 Marlin with soft-nosed slugs! I will not trust anyone at that time of night.

1 Like

I always keep my door and screen door lockedā€¦DO NOT open the door and depending on the circumstances of break up and how well I know them, ask what they want and keep the door locked until I get an answer. If not good answer, tell them to call me on the phone and I will talk with themā€¦or leave and come back in the morning.

I hestated to say, ā€œNo.ā€, because I do not have an ex. That said I would not be opening the door to anyone at 11:30 P.M. unless they had first called me.

1 Like

For me, I wouldnā€™t especially since I had a protection order against my first husband!! Would have called police. Still one way or another still wouldnā€™t have!!

3 Likes

First I wouldnā€™t open the door, next Iā€™d tell her to go home and call me tomorrow, if that didnā€™t work Iā€™d call 911 and let the officers deal with the problem.

2 Likes

I would have called the police and wait until they came

1 Like

I donā€™t date crazy so unlikely to have an ex like that come to my door. That said; why couldnā€™t the police determine the shooter? They have ballistics and both guns presumably.

3 Likes

Get and use a video doorbell.

Donā€™t open the door.

Call the cops.

Donā€™t open the door.

Speak to the ā€œvisitorsā€ through your cell via the video doorbell software.

Donā€™t open the door.

Donā€™t stand in front of the door.

Did I mention ā€œDonā€™t open the door?ā€

5 Likes

I have a ring and it was $99. Easy to install especially for this single girl who doesnā€™t have any sort of home improvement or any type skills. So yeah a ring doorbell is a great affordable easy option.
As for this question I would not open my door to an ex at 11:30 but would speak through the ring and tell them to leave or Iā€™ll call the cops or worse if they want to meet my Glock.

4 Likes

First of all itā€™s your ex nothing good is coming at that hour second thing you got nothing to do with her anymore
Third thing I would called the police let them resolve the issue
Fourth thing be prepared in an area where you can see and be protected in case they slammed the door down
Fifth thing shoot if you have to your life is in jeopardy

2 Likes

Not in a million years would I open the door that late. Fortunately the resident was armed and defended himself. My advice is get a Ring doorbell, or the equivalent (I have one)

1 Like

If the resident could plainly see his X-wife, whom he had verified trouble with previously, with a man whom he did not know, he should have called the police immediately and not opened the door at all, yet remain armed and yell that the police are on the way and you are armed.

But one thing clearly makes no sense. ā€œThe armed attacker was charged with the murder of the wifeā€¦ā€.
This is riduculous. Bullet comparisons would rule out one gun, entry/exit wounds would also contribute, blood splatter patterns would indicate the direction from which direction the bullet exited the body.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, the resident didnā€™t do anything right.
Had he done so, ā€œTrainingā€ on who to shoot first would not have come into play.

So now you can tell what I would have done first, and Iā€™ve had years of combat/tactical training. This does not mean i should not use my head in this situation and use my training as an excuse to enage someone with deadly force, unless they had kicked down the door and forced their way in, which they did not do.

This was not, IMO, a clear ā€œself defenceā€ situation". First, he opened the door, which was dumb. Secondly, he could have taken flight out the back door, (pistol in hand) without firing, as he did after he fired. He could have informed the 911 operator that this is what he did, without a shot being fired from the resident.

I may have made one incorrect assumption here I see. He was able to see the x-wife, but it makes no mention of him being able to see the man with her.

So along with everyone else:

1. Install a Ring or Camera and learn how to use it. Get the one that has a panel beside the door which is instantaneous recognition without having to using the phone, which is already in use to 911. Make sure you have a safety flood light back and front that is mounted high but floods entrance/exit with light when motion is detected. Peepholes on doors are a good way to get shot through the door.

For home invasions, I have taught my wife to use and fire the Remington 870 with 00 buck. A novice with a pistol is a good way to get the wrong person shot, including yourself. Most likely you will miss the intended target due to extreme stress and adrenelin and end up getting killed anyhow when the attacker returns fire.

Robert

1 Like

Call 911 and stay inside

2 Likes

"ā€œPolice could not determine whether the resident or the attacker shot the woman.ā€ They donā€™t do ballistics testing in CA?

2 Likes

I would not have opened the door. I would have placed myself in a good defensive position in case they somehow broke in.

How is it the police could not determine who shot the female?

3 Likes

It depends. If I had a camera system, I would have first checked it, and if I did not have a camera system, I would have tried to see out the window (if there was one) to determine who exactly was out there. Then again, at 11:30, I would probably be the first stage of sleep so I would be a bit wabbly.

Regardless, I would not be opening that door until I saw exactly who it was and Iā€™d even turn it the front light to see clearly. That said, given the situation (regardless of time of day) I would definitely have to know who is out there before opening that door. Even so, I would have engaged in conversation (as Iā€™m coming out of sleep mode) to get a better understanding of the reason for (1) the time of night (2) the reason for the banging on the door (3) who and why was there someone else with her.

So to sum it up, my first priority would be to avoid a situation if I wasnā€™t sure (a gut feeling) of the intention at that time of night. I may have also called the police so itā€™s documented. If on the other hand, they broke down that door (and they had a gun) then I would open some rounds on them. USCCA videos do provide these types of scenarios to members. That is my answer.

2 Likes

I never wouldā€™ve let them in , retreated to cover and call 9-11 - before I shot wildly

1 Like

How is it ballistics could not determine which weapon fired the fatal shot?

Shadow 215ā€™s resppnse would be closest to my own. Could have neen a problem with our children and she panickedā€¦Aldo, had people knock my door late. I answered catefully and armedā€¦ two guys out fishing were tied up to my dock. They didnt lnow the lake very well and were lost. They told me where they put in and I drove them to their truck and let them pull their boat out on my ramp. I am cateful but will help people when I can.