Steel cased hollow points

Back when I was new to carrying I picked out some steel cased hollow points to replace my 9mm ball ammo. Then my instructor told me that it becomes a liability due to over penetration which happens from the lack of expansion of the hollow point.
I can understand that train of thought and I was wondering if anyone had anything else to add to this.

2 Likes

Not sure what the case material (steel, brass, aluminum) would do to cause the hollow point bullet to not expand and over penetrate?

3 Likes

I would just agree with your instructor on that.

3 Likes

I agree, the case should not matter. If it is a steel core, then there are problems.

4 Likes

As far aa I can tell it’s a steel cased on a lead core. Steel cores are more AP iirc :thinking:
I can take a picture of it when I get home and show you guys.

2 Likes

A picture would help. Is it possible he was talking about the steel case not expanding in the chamber to seal it (like a brass case woud) and that loss of pressure would slow your hollow point down too much to expand?

4 Likes

Doesn’t pass the smell test to me.

5 Likes

I remember taking a magnet to the tip of the cartridge and it was magnetic. So I think the casing itself isn’t just steel but I think there’s like a steel jacket on the round. But when I get home I’ll post a picture for you guys to see.
My instructor had said to keep them as ammo is ammo (roughly what he said). That hollow points are expensive and to just keep them around.

2 Likes

Take a photo of the package/box if you still have it. It will help to know the brand and model.

3 Likes

@Greg1 is correct. Steel casing doesn’t expand in the chamber, like brass case and doesn’t seal correctly to make proper amount of pressure.

However the Instructor has been right - try to avoid steel case ammo :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve been playing this game for a fair number of years and I don’t ever recall even hearing of a steel boolet. Steel penetrator in an M2 Black tip round Yup, Steel penetrator in a 223 round, Yup, Steel penetrator in a whole host of COMBLOCK gov’t rounds, Yup. Various steel CASE rounds, Sure.

Think of it like this: A High Speed Steel object in contact with a No Speed Steel object is commonly referred to as a DRILL BIT. I know of no ammo mfg’r that intends for their ammo to drill off the grooves of their customers pistol barrel.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Here’s the pictures I said I’d get everyone

4 Likes

One of the best pieces of advice I have seen about ammo was from a USCCA video with @KevinM and @Tom_Grieve. Their advice was to ask local law enforcement what type of ammo they used in their off duty guns.

When you present yourself as a far enough outlier, if you ever have to defend your actions, your choices can be used against you. That was why I suggested that you go along with your instructors advice.

6 Likes

@luke_ouellette That is just the polymer coating they spray the steel case with to keep it from rusting. Kind of like the old lacquer coating. Supposedly it will not leave a residue in your chamber like the lacquer rounds did if you let them sit in a hot chamber. Take a pocket knife or file to the boolet end and I jet you will find copper under the silver stuff or mebby aluminum but it will be soft.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

No need to reinvent the wheel.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

6 Likes

There used to be imports of steel cores in bullets but were found to be armor penetrating. They used steel cores because it was cheaper than lead. Steel cases should only be used for target shooting and is cheaper to produce than brass. Brass can also be reloaded where steel should not be. Problem with steel casing is the issue of it splitting and causing a stove pipe which can be extremely hard sometimes for even an armorer to remove.

4 Likes

I did follow his advice and eventually switched to Critical Defense. :grin:

3 Likes

I had taken a magnet to the tip of the jacket looking thing once and it was magnetic. But I’ll try what you said in case my memory is faulty. Appreciate the insight. :grin:

1 Like

I didn’t realize steel cases could be reloaded. Nor did I realize that the bullet loses some velocity because some of the pressure escapes. But good to know so I never try it. Thank you :blush:

3 Likes

The target on the box doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the ammo does it? :sunglasses:

3 Likes