Self defense with a cane

I believe most, if not all, states do not “allow” concealing a sword in public. In Virginia it is illegal to CC, but it is legal to OC a sword.

3 Likes

I think that’s true in my state. Kind of ironic, isn’t it? I can conceal carry a firearm, but not a pointy stick.

5 Likes

I’m 71 and currently use a cane and walking stick. I have a 1st degree black belt in Okinawa Shorin-Rhu karate. My bow staff weapon training is appropriate for cane use or walking stick. A walking stick would be preferred as it’s longer and closer to my bow staff length.
Basically you want to strike certain vulnerable places. The side of the knee strike can take someone down. A strike to the temple region of the head can knock someone out. Of course, a groin shot, which may be difficult to do , can take someone down. For the longer stick weapon, a well aimed eye poke , while more difficult to do, can certainly stop someone.

My preference would be to vocalize to the person approaching to stop. Be sure to have your cane in your strong side first. A fast strike to the knee would be my preference, but if you do it needs to be very hard and quick.

2 Likes

Escrima is a good martial art to study if you want to “up” your cane game.
A word of caution—don’t try sparring if you wear bi-focals, and don’t ask how I know this!

3 Likes

There are also canes with a concealed flask inside. :crazy_face:

2 Likes