Second Guessing How I Handled the Situation

Nice. Hell, for that price Ill give them a shot!

1 Like

Yeah its a little weird for me. I grew up in IN outside of Chicago, not horrible neighborhoods but there was some gang presence and BS. Dad had to call the cops twice and they were quick. Out here as an adult, its been really eye opening.

Getting my wife more engaged is good. I wish it didnt take this situation for her to take it more seriously but Ill take the assist. Even just for her to take me seriously when I told her our son’s bed sits high, at least get him on the floor first, get our daughter next as her bed is much lower. If theres time to get them to our room do it but keep them and yourself down. The next challenge is to get her trained up on a firearm.

3 Likes

@Jason148
IMHO you did well and should not second guess yourself. Not knowing was what raised your alertness. My first thought would have been that this could be a setup, a way to lure me out of my home. I also would have called 911 and reported an unknown person was on my porch. It is ashamed that the police never showed though. If this was something bad about to happen then it probably would have happened.

6 Likes

The police was disappointing for sure. Say this girl was OD’ing and needing medical help, she wouldve died for sure.

3 Likes

I’m glad that you did not go out @Jason148. Even though it turned out to be the neighbor’s daughter, you had no way of knowing if it was a setup, and these types of incidents are happening more often. I have been on the other side of the door when someone came knocking and pretending to need help, only to pull a shotgun up in my face. I was able to slam and lock my front door, and thankfully they ran off instead of shooting through the door or kicking it in.

4 Likes

Wow thats crazy, can’t imagine!

1 Like

Not knowing who it was left you little choice. Don’t second guess yourself. You did right by your family and that’s all that counts.

6 Likes

You did the right thing. You didn’t know who it was from your camera.

2 Likes

You did the right thing. The drunk outside wasn’t the neighbor’s daughter until you knew it. Up to that point, just an intruder, a job for the police.

And it’s certainly not just your area. While 20 minutes does seem a little long, fact is the police can never get there in time. That’s just reality. :us:

3 Likes

Never open the door.

6 Likes

You and your family are safe, so you did well.

A lot of good advice, especially not to open the door.

To everyone else’s suggestions, I would add another phone to dial 911 (an old phone with no provider can still call 911, keep it charged) or a landline.

If you decide to be near the door, find a safe angle where you can still watch the door and have cover if needed. Better yet, find a place that offers the sight of the door, distance, and cover, possibly another room or floor, if your family is safe.

You can also talk with your neighbor about mitigating future incidents
 a phone number to call to let them know if it happens again. You can stay safe and keep them safe too.

Using your firearm should be done out of necessity. The situation doesn’t end after the rounds are fired, and your legal and financial safety should be part of any planning.

Speak with your local law enforcement and government to inform them this is unacceptable, and if needed, lodge a formal complaint and document it. As many communities want us to rely on Law Enforcement for our security, this is incredibly unsettling.

I am in the National Capital Region. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

2 Likes

Yeah at the point she started hitting the door I still didnt know who it was and I was like oh crap, here we go.

Ive since bought those flood lights mentioned above. It definitely helps with one spot and maybe itll deter some potential idiots.

4 Likes

I say you made the right decision. Your first priority is you and your family and if it ended up being a trap to lure you out then you’d be putting yourself and your loved ones in serious trouble. Good work comrade :+1:

2 Likes