Revolvers: why do those who carry them carry them?

Julietta
From an older woman’s point of view, my revolver is the best self defense once I learned to control the recoil by holding it with both hands, I’m more accurate.

3 Likes

Getting Started Shooting a Revolver | Personal Defense Network - YouTube See if this video helps you!

1 Like

Quite frankly I go back and forth between carrying a revolver and carrying a semi-auto. Sometimes based on where I’m carrying, sometimes based on how I feel.

When people make the argument of revolver vs. Semi auto, I think they need to further split the category of semi-auto into full size and subcompact.

Full size semi autos of course have a significantly higher capacity usually. And one of the bigger arguments for revolver, reliability, has almost gone away with regards to the modern full size semi-auto. I’m a revolver guy, but I’ll be the first to admit that in most of the modern full-size semi-autos the reliability is probably on par or at least close to a revolver.

Now with regards to subcompact semi-autos, this is where it starts to get much more blurry. First of all with regards to capacity, depending on the semi-auto you’re carrying, the capacity may be greater, but oftentimes given the same size it’s not overwhelmingly greater. But in my experience, the more obvious issue, is that the reliability in subcompact semi-autos isn’t nearly as good as it is with full-size semi-autos. Here is where I think the argument can still be made that snub nose revolvers are still more reliable than subcompact semi-autos.

Then if we take the factor of reliability of the weapon out of the equation completely, we’re left with ammo. In most cases the malfunction drill in revolver for a failed round is to just pull the trigger again. In the semi-auto it’s obviously a bit more.

Ultimately you have to make a list of what’s important to you, with some priorities, and choose accordingly.

Regardless of your choice, the important thing is to practice, understand your gun and ammunition capabilities, and have confidence in both.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family and happy to have you here.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

1 Like

An interesting point about revolver skill sets being more durable!

2 Likes

Being old, the first handguns I shot were revolvers. Simplicity, reliability, and feel, are my main reasons. For some reason, maybe in my head, I believe I can get first shot on target quicker.

4 Likes

Yep, 686 x 4" in an old Bianchi X-15. It will do to ride the river with.

4 Likes

Zero doubt whatsoever on this assertion. This tendency spans age ranges and experience levels. Revolver skills just don’t degrade markedly, likely owing to their simplicity and directness. Autopistols have more stuff to do in order to refill them, and the muscle memory set is more complex as well. If the user stays “Hands on” monthly, matters go well on the range. But if you limit yourself to quarterly quals and aren’t practicing monthly (live fire or emptied out safely), you will look and feel lame and halt. Be honest with yourself–self-loading edges need frequent sharpening.

I can’t help thinking that USA’s retention of the revolver by the majority of its police agencies was influenced to some extent by this skills non-perishability trait. Better ammo, more-reliable pistols (with HP ammo), and a perception of greater hazard to LE personnel combined in the mid-1980s to boost the autopistol to prominence. Their increased utility has a cost, though–more frequent and more disciplined practice sessions. Emphasize stoppage-clearing and magazine refill exercises to maximize your autopistol advantages.

5 Likes

The only revolver I have is a Ruger GP100 6" stainless. I have that as a backup when hunting… All other handguns are semi-auto. I always practice loading my GP100 with speed loaders.

I’ve been thinking of getting a Ruger SP101 for conceal carry. You don’t necessarily put yourself at a disadvantage with a revolver because they only have 5-8 rounds in them. The average gun fight involves 2-3 rounds at best. However, reality says you best have at least two speed loaders on you carrying a revolver.

4 Likes

And a fine revolver it is. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve not replied to this even though I do sometimes carry a revolver. I have a number of revolvers and pistols. I still have a Ruger Security-six stainless .357 (shoulder rig) that I carried back in the day when a coat and tie were required dress. Anyway, based on my environment and my personal risk assessment. I’ll carry a LCRx .38+p when the wife will let me ‘borrow’ it. if not the carry gun is a LCP. the odds are very good I will never need my firearm, but if I do I expect it to be a very close quarters deal. I go for light weight and simple.

4 Likes

Revolvers do have a lot of pluses for those who don’t shoot a lot. In 1921 my grandfather (who worked nights) bought a .32 S&W for my grandmother. He showed her how to shoot it and it was put away. It lived in an old windup Victoria that sat beside her bed. In 1989 my 91 yr old, 4’10”, 90 lb grandmother was awakened By a noise on her back porch. Someone was trying to open her rear bedroom’s window. Grandma promptly unlocked the back door and fired 3 rounds at the villain. Scared him enough the went Through the screened in porch, breaking a 2x2 cross brace on his way out😊. Per grandma “I’m not having somebody break into My house”. In looking, the cartridge case were green with corrosion, and the old lead bullets were white with oxidation, BUT if fired and functioned perfectly after sitting for 68 Years! Somehow I don’t think any of today’s plastic wunderwaffen would do the same. Somehow I don’t think so. I still have her little “O” framed Smith and the rest of the original box of cartridges in my safe today.

2 Likes

The Boss carries a .38 snubnose. While doing her research, she had issues with the slide of a semi-auto pistol. I know that with some patient training, we can overcome her issues, but it was rather intimidating for her. She’s really a new shooter (she owns a .25 ACP pocket gun, but really never shot that either), and I’d rather she had something that she’s comfortable with, and we can work on demystifying the semi-auto when she’s ready.

3 Likes

I like revolvers alot for their rugged simplicity even though they are (generally) heavier, carry fewer rounds per cylinder and do not generally have oodles of aftermarket customizations.

Many here have stated the benefits that I agree with. You point, you pull, it goes bang. If it misfires, you pull again, it goes bang. Cleaning is super simple. Parts are robust and few move. Potential for big bore companion calibers which has some benefit if walking or riding into the natures.

The need to “hide behind a wall of lead” is not my primary tactic in self defense. Walls are thin, ears are thin, ammo can be expensive and hard to find. I train for 1-2 stopping shots and save my brass. Extreme expansion rounds will put a tangerine sized hole in someone, no matter the amount adrenaline or dope they have in their veins.

Caveat:
I was reminded on how little we notice our sights when drawing, aiming, deciding, and firing, all while back pedaling from an advancing attacker, as seen in the USCCA training video of the car jacking series. The defender said that he never even saw his sights, fired more than a handful of rounds and had maybe 1 hit, if any, in the span of a few seconds. It’s easier for me to say I aim for 1-2 stopping shots than it is to actually get to that level of training with adrenaline pumping.

It’s all preference and your mission. Train and carry with whatever you will be most effective in protecting your life. If that’s a semi with a 30rd mag and thermal imaging then I say go for it! Post pics cuz that sounds fun!

3 Likes

Many great points, t’was appreciated and helpful. I’m a newbie, I personally preferred to start out with revolver; I think I’m hooked. To each, his/her own; guess it depends on factors- where it would be carried, when, why, situation, by whom, and tailoring it to their own unique needs, abilities, etc.

1 Like

The main reason I started shooting revolvers was because of a friend of mine shot them in IDPA competition. At that point the department I worked for had decided that cocked and locked 1911 were to dangerous to carry on duty and we had to switch to things like Glock. I began shooting my Glock and after getting used to the trigger we became friends. I watched my buddy shoot his revolver at the matches and decided that it was something I wanted to try just because it looked difficult. After being coached up by my friend, I had a wonderful time learning the differences of shooting a revolver vs. a semi automatic pistol. So basically it looked like it sucked and I wanted to give it a whirl.

1 Like

Back “in the day” revolvers were THE handgun (a few 1911’s, some pocket pistols, etc) carried by law enforcement pretty much everywhere and by most citizens for SD/woods walks. I carried a .22 wheel gun and a.38 Colt Detective Special (‘cause them old Smith J frames were only 5 shooters😏). All the cops around had an S&W K r a Colt Trooper.

2 Likes