Need advice... on how to better my students

I need help in HELPING A RIGHT HANDED PERSON who is LEFT EYE DOMINATE.

I have been doing research and different types of Trainings but I don’t feel like I’m 100% on showing proper Techniques.

I run into a problem when we use a rifle… should I teach the student to shoot left handed? (Keep in mind the shell extracts on that side)

Should I have the student get a left handed firearm?

Or slightly tilt the firearm over to the left to see out of the DOMINATE eye.

I dont want to create bad habits like tilting of the head, etc!!!

So please any advice, or videos!!

THANKS

2 Likes

I’ve heard (but not tried myself) of people putting semi transparent tape over non dominant eye lens to learn to shoot with both eyes open
Not sure if this helps but at least it’s not expensive and easy to try

3 Likes

I’m the opposite as that. Left handed but right eye dominant. I just learned to shoot rifles right handed and pistols left handed (cross eye dominant) and I’ve never had an issue shooting.

2 Likes

@David244 @Stanley3 hit the nail on the head.

As a personal example I am left eye dominant and right handed. When I shoot pistol I instinctively (now) just turn my head slightly to the right and it allows my left eye to grab on to the front sight.

The trick with rifle is that you don’t want to block the light going into left eye while shooting with the right as it will make the eyes “fight” with each other. The eyes work independently but they are “sympathetic” with each other. If one eye is in the dark and the other is in the light it will induce eyestrain and a fair headache after awhile.

I learned the next bit on the Navy Rifle Team, take a piece of plastic milk jug and cut it out to the size of the shooting glasses and attach it with the little paper bulldog clips. You can do the scotch tape thing but you now need two sets of shooting glasses.

Over time the right eye will become accustomed to “being in charge” to the point that you might not need the patch. In my case I figured this out on the 2nd day of the National Matches when my milk jug patch went flying down range in one of Camp Perry’s infamous “howlers”. By that time I had been shooting with the patch on for over a month pretty much every day including weekends. My left eye didn’t try to take over or cause any problems for that day. I didn’t try to see how long it would last and drank a 1/2 gal of milk that night.

On another note does your student wear glasses normally? If not you might suggest to them to visit an optometrist and see if the right eye needs a corrective lens. Now that I am in my 50’s (damn it’s hard to say that) may arms are too short to see anything inside 3 feet. The medical term is Presbyopia or when your internal lenses don’t accommodate anymore. So I got Tri-focals and found I needed a VERY slight correction in my right eye. The last few trips to the range for rifle work I have noticed that my left eye is no so “dominant” anymore and I don’t have to fight the sight picture. Obviously that is for a scoped rifle, I need +1.75 readers (or the middle lens on my glasses) to see the front sight on a pistol or a rifle.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Let the group know what you uncover. Most of my close friend are “opposites.”

I’m right handed but shoot better left handed. I test as right eye dominant but frequently use my left eye.

There’s something seriously wrong with me. lol

1 Like

Man! I’m right hand and my left is dominated and THAT is exactly what I’ve been struggling past year with **RIFLE Beforehand my grandpa noticed as a kid but gave a grandpa answer and being he served in Vietnam.

When it comes down to live or die it want matter what eye lol Now been struggling to correct it.

1 Like

Here are a few topics that might help, @David244 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly what I do. Shooting rifles, I shoot right handed, and use my non-dominant eye. If they want to switch to left/left, you can get bolt action rifles in left hand. If they are worried about right hand ejecting semi autos, my son shoots lefty. He said he doesn’t notice the shell casing flying out in his line of sight.

1 Like

Thank you guys I will implement these new ideas… you guys are awesome I guess it will be up to individual to train and find what is comfortable to them. I have few options now to answer the "WHY '.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see the topic introduced and will be studying it closely as it develops. I am R handed, L eye dominant as well, with my own adaptations for shooting. Like Craig, I turn my head slightly when shooting right handed, which is a help, but when shooting a shotgun, I started a while back shooting left handed. I expect as I follow the conversation and the references ya’ll provide, to learn some things that will be of value, so thank you all.

2 Likes

I’m going to say it depends… on shotgun, I generally teach students to shoulder on the dominant eye side. For some folks, rifle works better that way too.

Some folks will be able to retrain the non-dominant eye to be in charge using the tape-on-the-glasses things, but there are some for whom it doesn’t work, or who can’t do it for other reasons.

My hubby is strong right eye, and a retired serious competitor with millions of rounds down range (not exaggerating). He lost most of the sight in his right eye to a detached retina but his motor skills are all right-hand right-shoulder. He has his rifle scope mounted on the left of the rifle at a 45 degree left cant from the normal position… that works for him, but it does cause some issues with adjusting distances. (that’s partly scope mechanics and partly his loss of binocular vision which affects distance perception.) His accuracy is amazingly good, but his acquisition is a lot slower than it used to be, so while it works, it’s not a solution that would work for everyone.

For pistol, turning the head to align the dominant eye over the barrel can work well for some folks (that’s what my hubby does) if they can’t get the eye to switch.

There are some folks who cannot seem to manage either the head turn, or getting the other eye to take over and for them, I have them change to their non-dominant hand. That actually seems to be a very short learning curve, and more reliable than getting the other eye to take over for some people.

I know exactly what your son means! I was shooting my friend’s micro roni (w/ Glock 17) and using the scope. It was the first time I used it and it was very nice to fire and accurate, but something felt “different”. I used it a few more times and finally realized my face is right behind the ejection port! I guess I’ll have to practice more with my right hand… :grinning:

1 Like